Nutrition & Diet Vitamin D: Low levels ‘can double dementia risk’

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
Low levels of vitamin D in elderly men and women can double the risk of developing dementia in later life according to one of the biggest studies of its kind into the nutritional supplement.

Senile dementia and Alzheimer’s disease were both significantly higher in people with low levels of vitamin D, compared to those with normal levels, when tested up to six years before the onset of symptoms, scientists found.
Vitamin D: Low levels ‘can double dementia risk’ - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Reactions: ledboots
Some call it "the miracle vitamin". Some studies suggest it can protect against cancers and lots of other things. I think more studies are necessary for many of the claims before we can anything conclusive. This study seems fairly big though, so I guess it carries some weight.

On most days during the week, I go out for a 30-minute walk. Part of my motivation is to get sufficient sun exposure to avoid sub-optimal levels of vitamin D. (I also take Veg1 which on its own may have enough vitamin D to avoid outright deficiency, and during the winter months I take an additional vitamin D supplement.)

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots