Very disturbing information on soy

Don't worry about it. It's crap. I wish this kind of stuff didn't appear so often. Yellow journalism has been reborn on the internet.

I think it was just last week I read an article in the NY Times about how much money people can make on Facebook by posting inflammatory, controversial and sensationalized news. this is just another example of that.

I actually didn't bother to finish the article. Which makes me feel bad. I really shouldn't tear something up with just a cursory examination.

But... when I started my vegan journey I ended spending way too much time investigating soy. The amount of misinformation, propaganda, and just plain ol' BS made it very difficult for me to actually get to the truth. And there is BS on both sides of the discussion. Anyway, about halfway through I did find a few good articles that really helped me understand what is going on. I will link my favourite at the bottom.

But just after a few paragraphs of this article, I found several claims that when I did my initial research (like 10 years ago) were already proven untrue. And several claims that were just badly out of context.

So my next thing was to back out of the article. What is this Get Holistic Health website? A quick perusal of their home page showed that most of their articles had a very inflammatory, controversial and sensationalized ring to it. They are not trying to promote knowledge about Holistic Health. They are just trying to generate clicks.

Next, well, who is the author? It doesn't say. which makes it pretty hard to determine their qualifications. or even check out the other articles that they wrote.

Ok, then let's see if they list references. Oh! Surprise! They do. Aha! And right there, third from the bottom is Weston A Price. Weston A. Price was a dentist who started his foundation to promote health. Unfortunately, the Foundation has been co-opted by the dairy and beef industry. And even Price himself is a little bit short on good science. If you google Weston A Price, you find almost as many articles debunking and criticizing him as there are articles by him and his foundation. Add the word quack to your search and the number of hits becomes overwhelming.

Anyway, I feel bad that I dismissed the article without finishing it. If I hadn't already spent so much time wading thru soy propaganda I might be more willing to go bullet point by bullet point and investigate their claims. But what I discovered the first time thru is that although there is some truth to some of the anti-soy claims, most of it is just BS, exaggerated or just based on small studies, and some of it is just been un-replicated and should no longer be reported.

My own conclusion is that soy is perfectly safe to eat and tofu is God's gift to vegans. There has been almost no research on processed soy products (like the isolates or the concentrates). Its probably not as good as they claim. but there is not any evidence that is actually bad for you. I don't think there have been ANY studies on it at all. Soy's relationship with breast cancer is complicated. I don't understand it. there are studies that suggest it prevents it and some that say it might cause it. The one thing everyone agrees on is that more soy and breast cancer research must be done before we can make a conclusion.

Anyway, if you usually read Get Holistic Health, I recommend you stop. You might try subscribing to Nutrition Action instead. Nutrition Facts is online and free, it's pretty good, too. Maybe the best, tho is the sections in mainstream publications like the Health section of the New York Times or the Wellness section of the Washington Post, and the Magazines, Science and Nature. You can probably find all this stuff for free at your public library.

And here, before i forget.
https://zenhabits.net/soy/

Lou, Thank you so much for your effort in replying to my inquiry...you do the kind of research and question everything..like me. I just had been so upset by this l had to post it and put it up for discussion on a solid forum!
Thanks again.... Dave

Reactions: Emma JC
That Zen Habits article I cited is really worth reading.

A lot of the soy misinformation is just due to publishers trying to sensationalize articles and some of it is just due to lazy reporting. I'm not much of a conspiracy advocate but some of the soy misinformation seems more deliberate.

In my research, the breast cancer stuff is over my head but does not seem to be clear one way or another. The only other thing i found for sure about soy "not being good for you" was that some people who ate a lot of it did have some side effects. Some of it was "worrisome" but none of it was certain.

Maybe the biggest question mark was the soy isolates and concentrates that are found in so much of our processed food. That stuff is pretty new and no studies of it have been completed. so it is probably a good idea to remain cautious about it. Just another reason to minimize the amount of processed food you eat.

The only other thing I "uncovered" is that it is true that people who eat a lot of it sometimes develop a sensitivity. But there is some evidence that that only happens with non-organic GMO soy. Which is also a good idea to minimize or avoid.

I can't remember who said this, but, "A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on"