Vegetarian to vegan!

gettingskinny70

Newcomer
Reaction score
so I've been vegetarian since June and I want to transition to vegan! my local grocery store just started carrying vegan cheese so now I'm more confident in finding a variety of vegan goodies in my town! I just don't want to very suddenly cut out a bunch food, any tips?

That's a very broad question. What kind of food are you talking about here?

Eggs:
You can buy egg replacers in any large supermarket. I also recommend flax. Some fruits make good binding agents too (depends on the recipe), or syrups. I've heard of aqua faba being used for meringue, and I've used lentil flour for frittatas and omelettes. Black salt can add a sulfur-like taste often associated with egg, and a scramble can be made from tofu. There's a product you can import called 'The Vegg', which can be used in lots of ways, but it's no big deal so long as you know how to season a good tofu scramble.

Honey:
Replace with syrup of choice: agave, maple, golden etc..

Dairy:
There are so many different products from which you can make vegan milk. I've tried the lot and tend to use oat milk as my regular milk, but sometimes I use almond. I can't list them all there's so many: quinoa, hemp, hazelnut, soy, rice... As for cream, coconut is the easiest substitute but you can also buy soy cream. There are plenty of recipes to make vegan cheese which usually involve cashew, but there are also many on the market too. Vegusto UK and Violife (Greece) are good brands. I've also enjoyed a mozzarella imitation called 'mozzarisella' - off the top of my head - I don't usually eat vegan cheese, however. There are plenty of different kinds of vegan butter: olive, soy, sunflower... I prefer sunflower. Blended tofu can be used in a variety of recipes as well as both a dairy replacer and binder.

That's the best I can do for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dree