Vegetarian Children

Cyprus

Newcomer
Reaction score
I have not had of vegan children but there are high possibilities if vegetarian children in the current society due to increased lifestyle diseases and allergies in children. Parents have become quite cautious with nutrition and are slowly training their children to be vegetarian.

This thread is a few weeks old but I wanted to reply anyway, hope that's alright.

I have heard of vegan children. Many, if not most, parents who are vegan themselves are going to want to raise vegan children. I can't imagine vegan parents serving hamburger for dinner to their kids while they eat vegan. Vegetarian children are probably more common because vegetarianism itself is more common, for a variety of reasons (relative ease compared to veganism, cost, morality boundaries, etc.)

My daughter, when she was between the ages of 2-5, had a myriad of allergies. Milk, pork, eggs, beef, fish, shellfish, maple, plus about 10 others...thankfully no gluten or soy because then she would've just eaten lettuce probably for those years lol. She ate a lot of tofu and other vegetarian options. Now she's outgrown those allergies, thankfully. It's scary having all of those.

Also, I don't think it's a matter of "training" kids to be vegetarian, as much as it's probably about showing them and telling them why the lifestyle is a good match for their family and what it means to be a vegetarian.

There are more vegan and vegetarian children these days, but that is also due to not only allergies but also as organic food is more widely available. Some parents choose an alternative diet when there are allergies like eczema and they find a vegetarian diet helps, much better than medication.

Vegan children are less common because of growth issues, protein and B12 and the diet has to be balanced. At school that cannot always be guaranteed, but vegan children do exist. I did a study about this at school and while there are concerns, as long as the parent ensures a protein packed diet there should be no issues. Of course it is hard with growing children which is why vegetarianism is a little easier as there is dairy they can eat.

I feel like if it's not a health concern, you should let your kids decide. Explain both the benefits and risks, and if they choose to still eat meat then let them.
Kids aren't clay moulds you can sculpt to your liking.

I'm vegan but I don't want to impose my beliefs of my kids. Just like how my parents never imposed or criticized me when I stopped eating meat.

Mothwings, why would you not want to "impose your beliefs" on your kids?

I guess you would also want to "impose your beliefs" whether they should take drugs or smoke, spend all their time in front of the TV or video game, not do their homework for school or commit acts of racism.

Believe me, sometimes (quite often actually) children do need guidance (often called "parenting").

And there are NO VALID REASONS at all for following a non vegan diet (other than "It tastes nice" and "everybody does it").

Just my thoughts....

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: Josie
Vegan children are less common because of growth issues, protein and B12 and the diet has to be balanced.

Let me tell you a secret: That is excactly the same for children raised on a non-vegan diet. They also do need protein, Vitamin B12 and other vitamins and should eat a balanced diet.

But ... because nearly everybody is feeding their children a non-vegan diet, it is "the normal thing to do", so nobody has any concerns about it...... :-/

Reactions: Josie
Let me tell you a secret: That is excactly the same for children raised on a non-vegan diet. They also do need protein, Vitamin B12 and other vitamins and should eat a balanced diet.

But ... because nearly everybody is feeding their children a non-vegan diet, it is "the normal thing to do", so nobody has any concerns about it...... :-/
I agree! A parent who is vegan/vegetarian but is well-informed about the necessary nutrients and vitamins, and is willing to consult a doctor throughout the whole process, will probably be able to provide a much more well-balanced and healthy meal to his child than a parent with 'normal' eating habits who just lets his child eat whatever with no concern about his well-being.

Exactly! I know there are a lot of junk food vegans out there, but for the most part, these parents are MORE likely to have their children eating a balanced diet than those who are still eating animal products. We are much more mindful of what we eat and especially what our children eat. We eat more balanced than the typical eater. I always laugh when people say they've never seen a healthy looking vegan before. First.. they likely have never seen a vegan to begin with and second.. I always counter with the same about many typical eaters and I HAVE seen many of those in my lifetime lol.

As for pushing our beliefs on our kids.. I usually feel the same. But this isn't belief, it's all wrapped up in facts.. meat eating isn't sustainable, healthy or kind. I don't have to make things up to scare my children away from it. They chose to continue eating meat, but I won't feel guilty for not buying it or making it for them myself because it's not good for their health or well being in the long run and I won't contribute to cruelty. They understand.. I understand them.. it's about respect both ways.

I guess it depends on the lifestyle of the parent and their family. I grew up in a vegetarian household, and now I'm just used to not eating meat. That doesn't mean that I don't eat junk and I'm not unhealthy: being vegetarian does cut out some unhealthy elements from your diet, however there are still many other things which fit into the vegetarian category which could be more unhealthy than non-veg things.

I don't think parents really need to 'train' their children to be vegetarian, I think it's more just growing up in a house where nobody eats meat and getting used to it. If a parent themselves is eating meat and expects the child to be vegetarian, that's a little ridiculous, but if the family is vegetarian then I think that the decision makes sense. Being vegetarian may not make the child fully healthy, however it can cut them off from many unhealthy and unethical options.

I mean there are children that are allergic to so much, I can see why they would do that. It might be a good thing since so many children eat poorly. I know that my sister eats pretty poorly, even though she could eat better. I think that if she tried eating more of the healthy things that I was, she would do better.

I've just read an article which tells that the body of a child can get used to a vegan diet as it grows, as soon as you provide needed vitamins and proteins.

I have 3 kids, and when I was a kid i didn't get a choice but to eat what my parents cooked. If i gave my kids the choice of what they wanted to eat the 2 younger ones would say candy, cake, pies, etc and fast food. Your the parent and your not imposing any lifestyle on them, your just doing your job as a good parent to give them the best nutritional diet.