Veganism Is Not Actually That Good For You

Typical response from a typical farmer, trying to make a living, imo. There are some points made in that opinion piece that are true - if everyone took care to eat sustainably, we'd not be in the predicament we're in now. In the US, you never see pigs outside anymore. The vast majority are all grown in long sheds and never allowed outside to forage naturally. Same with dairy cows. And the numbers of these confined animals is staggering.

Industrial grown agriculture (animals and plants)is what we eat. If we could remove from the equation all of the industrial soybeans and corn that are grown to feed the massive number of cows, pigs and other animals processed for meat, milk and eggs we would be in much better shape simply because it is far more efficient to grow plants for human consumption rather than sending those plants through the stomaches of doomed animals first. And we would probably be able to use better land practices to improve the quality of our soil.

So weep? No. I'm doing what I can to limit my contributions to animal suffering and climate change. And while I'm sure there are changes I could make, those changes do not include eating the occasional curated steak.

Last edited:
I got a good laugh from the original post. Don't these smartass kids realize that we've heard these poorly-substantiated claims 100's of times before? Some of us have been vegan for longer than they've been alive!

The article condemns the endless fields of soybeans and maize (corn), but very little soy and corn is eaten directly by people:

So, if it's necessary to point a finger at those responsible for the endless fields of soy and corn, that finger should point to those people who eat meat.

Even though I don't appreciate the way the person went about sharing their opposing opinion at an obviously vegan populated forum for probably the soul purpose of trolling us, the moderators didn't have to reprimand him like this. We don't need to know that he's been banned. Putting it out there so publicly like that is just shaming him. A ban should be a private matter between the site and himself. I don't wanna see when someone gets banned because it's none of my business. This thread should be deleted so we can't see it anymore.

Even though I don't appreciate the way the person went about sharing their opposing opinion at an obviously vegan populated forum for probably the soul purpose of trolling us, the moderators didn't have to reprimand him like this. We don't need to know that he's been banned. Putting it out there so publicly like that is just shaming him. A ban should be a private matter between the site and himself. I don't wanna see when someone gets banned because it's none of my business. This thread should be deleted so we can't see it anymore.

I think it is more so people don't try to reply to or contact the banned individual. Also, I have had to leave several other forums behind in the past because they didn't ban trolls simply due to the forums basically filling with trollish behaviour and vitriol. A forum like this needs to feel like a safe place where people can get support or it will die on the vine like veggieboards did.

I think it is more so people don't try to reply to or contact the banned individual. Also, I have had to leave several other forums behind in the past because they didn't ban trolls simply due to the forums basically filling with trollish behaviour and vitriol. A forum like this needs to feel like a safe place where people can get support or it will die on the vine like veggieboards did.
I'm not saying the guy shouldn't have been banned. I'm saying don't shame him. Just delete his profile. Delete his threads. Make it seem like he didn't even exist. This thread really needs to get deleted. It's making the forum come off like they are exclusive and don't like counter opinions. Us shaming the guy probably didn't help change his opinions on veganism, and he probably now looks at us like excluding people which only affirms his probable beliefs that vegans aren't inclusive, friendly, or understanding. Us as a group treating people like this is not going to make people want to transition.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the guy shouldn't have been banned. I'm saying don't shame him. Just delete his profile. Delete his threads. Make it seem like he didn't even exist. This thread really needs to get deleted. It's making the forum come off like they are exclusive and don't like counter opinions. Us shaming the guy probably didn't help change his opinions on veganism, and he probably now looks at us like excluding people which only affirms his probable beliefs that vegans aren't inclusive, friendly, or understanding. Us as a group treating people like this is not going to make people want to transition.

There is nothing to shame. The person's profile isn't available if one clicks on it, and they had 2 posts, neither of which tells us anything at all about them. There is no online persona here, just an anonymous someone trolling the board. Angry non-vegans sometimes come here just to post garbage without any intention whatsoever to listen to different points of view. Such people need to be discouraged from thinking they can get away with it.

There is nothing to shame. The person's profile isn't available if one clicks on it, and they had 2 posts, neither of which tells us anything at all about them. There is no online persona here, just an anonymous someone trolling the board. Angry non-vegans sometimes come here just to post garbage without any intention whatsoever to listen to different points of view. Such people need to be discouraged from thinking they can get away with it.
I apologize if this comes off a certain way, but I don't want to debate this. My views are my views.

The OP was banned because he was posting nasty meat pictures and basically being a classic troll from the good, old days. I deleted those posts, but left this one because by the time I got around to it, other members had made good posts in this thread, so I thought it would be best to leave it up. And yes, there is no shaming as there is no personally identifiable material.

The OP was banned because he was posting nasty meat pictures and basically being a classic troll from the good, old days. I deleted those posts, but left this one because by the time I got around to it, other members had made good posts in this thread, so I thought it would be best to leave it up. And yes, there is no shaming as there is no personally identifiable material.
I trust that he was banned for good reason. That wasn't the problem for me. I do not want to say anything that will upset you. I just feel like a ban shouldn't be public information. It's kind of like if you got arrested, and then they put that information on the local news for everyone in your neighborhood to see like your friends and family. Just because there's no name for his profile doesn't mean he himself doesn't feel shamed. That's all I have to say. It is up to you if you want to adhere to what I said or not. Going back and forth about this situation is unfortunately not going to change my views, so I would rather we all just agree to disagree.

Okay. To everyone who is probably going to still imply to me how wrong I am even though there's no wrong or right when it comes to an opinion, the conversation for me ends here. With that established, I am not responding to anymore comments in this thread. I just wanna be a peaceful vegan. I really don't like arguing. I just don't like it. I put my opinions out there to just put it out there. Not to argue. For me personally, a bunch of meat posts wouldn't really offend me. I would just laugh it off and had offered OP a tofu burger and a cat video. (Just because that doesn't get to me doesn't mean I don't understand others being offended. Of course I do, and of course that should be a bannable offense. OP was banned for good reason like I said and implied multiple times. I just don't want bans publicized. Okay. Thanks for your understanding. Here's a video of a pig solving a puzzle.

• Friendly
Reactions: kelli
Okay. To everyone who is probably going to still imply to me how wrong I am even though there's no wrong or right when it comes to an opinion, the conversation for me ends here. With that established, I am not responding to anymore comments in this thread. I just wanna be a peaceful vegan. I really don't like arguing. I just don't like it. I put my opinions out there to just put it out there. Not to argue. For me personally, a bunch of meat posts wouldn't really offend me. I would just laugh it off and had offered OP a tofu burger and a cat video. (Just because that doesn't get to me doesn't mean I don't understand others being offended. Of course I do, and of course that should be a bannable offense. OP was banned for good reason like I said and implied multiple times. I just don't want bans publicized. Okay. Thanks for your understanding. Here's a video of a pig solving a puzzle.

Disagreeing with your opinion is not arguing or implying anything about you. And if you make a comment on a forum, it's automatically up for discussion - that's just what forums are for. You are absolutely entitled to your opinions, and are entitled to express them. But try not to take every disagreement personally; they're rarely meant that way.