Veganism and binge eating disorder

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
TW: Suicide and hating self
Those of you who have read my other posts will know that I am autistic and that I used to be vegan but am now just vegetarian.
I have binge eating disorder, which is a disease that has caused me to go from vegan back to vegetarian. I know what the animals go through. I know what the dairy cattle and egg chickens go through, but yet I still go and buy and eat the stuff because of this horrible, wretched disorder that has ruined my life. I am addicted to dairy because of the casein.
I care about the animals so much and want to go back to vegan so incredibly badly, but every time I try, I always end up going back to vegetarian and eating dairy and eggs and I absolutely hate it.
I already have severe binge eating disorder and moderate-severe anxiety, often around this.
I am really hard on myself because of this. Sometimes, I talk/think of hating myself because of this. I even think of suicide, and even think that the animals would be better off without me…
Please help. There just isn’t enough help out there for people in my situation about veganism and eating disorders. I couldn’t even find a book about veganism and eating disorders.

I am sorry you are in such a bad place, Rory. Please get professional help. What you're describing is far beyond any help I could offer.
If you are in the U.S., you can call the national suicide prevention lifeline at 800-273-8255.

I would echo what PTree15 said. And I would also say that you aren't alone in struggling with an eating disorder and veganism, or suicidal thoughts for that matter. There may be more help out there. For example, I live in Australia and the local mental health team have a dietician which they refer to people who also have mental health challenges (and I see this dietician). This is a free service where I live. I'm not sure what resources are available in your area, but one of the easiest ways to find out is to book an appointment with your GP and discuss what is available.

Reactions: PTree15 and David3
TW: Suicide and hating self
Those of you who have read my other posts will know that I am autistic and that I used to be vegan but am now just vegetarian.
I have binge eating disorder, which is a disease that has caused me to go from vegan back to vegetarian. I know what the animals go through. I know what the dairy cattle and egg chickens go through, but yet I still go and buy and eat the stuff because of this horrible, wretched disorder that has ruined my life. I am addicted to dairy because of the casein.
I care about the animals so much and want to go back to vegan so incredibly badly, but every time I try, I always end up going back to vegetarian and eating dairy and eggs and I absolutely hate it.
I already have severe binge eating disorder and moderate-severe anxiety, often around this.
I am really hard on myself because of this. Sometimes, I talk/think of hating myself because of this. I even think of suicide, and even think that the animals would be better off without me…
Please help. There just isn’t enough help out there for people in my situation about veganism and eating disorders. I couldn’t even find a book about veganism and eating disorders.
Rory :hug:
You cannot really care for anyone else if you don't care for yourself first
The animals need as many people to care as possible, and you can do that without being vegan.
Everyone has some kind of struggle. You are a kind thoughtful, and caring person. Turn that caring to care for you.
Find some professional help.
You are your priority. That is far more important for you to feel good about yourself than whether you are eating dairy now. Your need for dairy and other foods will more than likely be resolved when you are able to feel better about yourself

Hello there,

I would kindly suggest that you see your GP if possible. You really do need to help yourself before helping our gorgeous animals.

If you're struggling with such thoughts, please consider calling the following helplines:

If you are having suicidal thoughts, never hesitate to reach out to someone for help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), is free and available 24/7.

The National Eating Disorders Association also has a hotline at 1-800-931-2237. Call them if you need help and cannot get it from your immediate support circle. They will talk to you and can connect you with resources and treatment options to help you get started with your recovery.