Vegan woman forced her fennec fox to go vegan, and here’s what happened

P

Plant Muncher

Vegan Woman Forced Her Fennec Fox To Go Vegan, And Here’s What Happened
1 month ago by Ilona

Fennec foxes eat rodents, insects, birds, rabbits, and eggs, but this one doesn’t. For years, vegan blogger Sonia Sae has been raising her pet fox Jumanji on a vegan diet, and it has developed all sorts of health problems. Recently, however, a few people worked hard to spread the word about this behavior they call abusive, and the internet is infuriated.

According to experts, a fennec’s diet in the wild is comprised of about 90% animals and insects while the remaining 10% consists of various plants they dig up. Naturally, they need a lot of protein when living in captivity as well. Forcing her omnivore Jumanji on a vegan menu only, Sae has probably messed up its entire nutrition. For example, fennecs really need calcium and taurine. The latter is an organic compound that’s widely distributed in animal tissues. Without it, these big-eared creatures will probably develop reproductive and heart problems. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Sae has already admitted that Jumanji is half blind, suffers from spontaneous convulsions and a severe skin condition. However, she refuses the idea that its diet is a cause of these problems. “They use the word ‘abuse’ to describe the act of feeding [it] food that no animal had to die for. Despite the obvious oxymoron, any other non-vegan alternative DOES involve abuse by default,” she said in a Facebook post.

People have already contacted local animal rights authorities and are waiting for their response.

More info: faithfulfoxes.com

For years, vegan blogger Sonia Sae has been raising her pet fox Jumanji on a vegan diet ’cause she thinks that all species are equals
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae-5-5aa0fb75d7071__605.jpg
concerned woman posted a message on Facebook[/paste:font]
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae-40.jpg

This is how the fox looked like when Sonia Sae bought it:
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae-16-5aa0fbe57c040__605.jpg

Later, however, more and more people began thinking its appearance was deteriorating
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae-9-5aa0fb92a6267__605.jpg

Alice tried to explain why the owner shouldn’t feed him a vegan diet
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae-30.jpg

While Sonia kept sharing her pet’s photos with very concerning descriptions
fennec-fox-vegan-diet-animal-abuse-jumanji-sonia-sae6-5aa0fb7bb23fc__605.jpg

So you've forced an animal to do something. Does this not go against a huge part of the vegan philosophy? How do you even justify having a wild animal as a pet? It is confined and being forced to do something against its will and instincts.

this story is hyped mistruths. the fox is doing fine. youtube video and other accounts prove that the vets have found the diet is fine for the fox.

But it's still not how nature intended it to be. As a vegan, you're supposed to let things be as they are, not force them to be something else. As far as I'm concerned, this is animal abuse.

That’s a terrible thing to do to an animal! I want to go vegan soon, but I’d never force an animal to go vegan. If a pet is a carnivore, it needs it’s diet, not a diet that’s unhealthy for it.

we "force" all "pets" to live forced on them lives the biggest "force" on them is denial of their freedom so food is a trivial matter in comparison. the fact is nutrients are what are needed for any animal to thrive and thousands of long lived healthy dogs cats ferrets prove this. if someone does not want to "force" lifestyle on a "pet" then let it go...and get killed on the road ? that would be "not forcing" restriction of a basic animal right to freedom. A human...who forces animals to be bred and then killed is morally doing animal abuse. fact. so do not do it. Humans have no right to force an animal to die...not morally. What greater use of force than taking a life ? many lives deliberately by humans who breed these poor animals ? it is hypocrisy to say those lives taken by humans is not animal abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
this story is hyped mistruths.

I agree. The story was blown out of proportion by carnists that were looking for a way to smear her reputation as a Vegan YouTuber and activist.

As the article below says, "it was a witch hunt" that was lunched against her without facts to back it up. Some carnist, vegan hater caught wind of the story and ran with it, and truly without knowing all the facts or any.

If you read the whole story and everything between the lines, it was not even close to what the truth of it actually is.

Read Here: https://www.glassbrick.co/captivity/sonia-sae-and-jumanji-the-fennec-fox/

we "force" all "pets" to live forced on them lives the biggest "force" on them is denial of their FREEDOM so food is a trivial matter in comparison. the fact is nutrients are what are needed for any animal to thrive and thousands of long lived healthy dogs cats ferrets prove this. if someone does not want to "force" lifestyle on a "pet" then let it go...and get killed on the road ? that would be "not forcing" restriction of a basic animal right to freedom. A human...who FORCES animals to be bred and then killed is morally doing ANIMAL ABUSE. fact. so do not do it. Humans have no RIGHT to FORCE an animal to die...not morally. What greater use of FORCE than taking a life ? many lives deliberately by humans who breed these poor animals ? it is hypocrisy to say those lives taken by humans is not animal abuse.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Are you saying that vegans can’t have meat eating pets?
Sorry I’m autistic so I think differently when I read things.

we "force" all "pets" to live forced on them lives the biggest "force" on them is denial of their FREEDOM so food is a trivial matter in comparison. the fact is nutrients are what are needed for any animal to thrive and thousands of long lived healthy dogs cats ferrets prove this. if someone does not want to "force" lifestyle on a "pet" then let it go...and get killed on the road ? that would be "not forcing" restriction of a basic animal right to freedom. A human...who FORCES animals to be bred and then killed is morally doing ANIMAL ABUSE. fact. so do not do it. Humans have no RIGHT to FORCE an animal to die...not morally. What greater use of FORCE than taking a life ? many lives deliberately by humans who breed these poor animals ? it is hypocrisy to say those lives taken by humans is not animal abuse.

I don't think anyone is disputing that forcing an animal to die is not animal abuse. You can't justify forcing an animal to eat an unnatural diet by shifting the focus to something worse. Forcing an animal, is forcing an animal. Anyway you look at it.

I don't think anyone is disputing that forcing an animal to die is not animal abuse. You can't justify forcing an animal to eat an unnatural diet by shifting the focus to something worse. Forcing an animal, is forcing an animal. Anyway you look at it.
no one "forced" this fox or any dog or cat fed vegan anything. no intravenous force feeding involved it is misuse of the word force to use that word in regards providing food to any animal. My dogs cat eat with relish their vegan food as do all others. Animals that we keep as pets have far worse things forced on them that what we provide as food to them. Collars on necks...leads...forced to walk at a human pace not free to run and sniff do what they want ever in reality except when the human owner allows it.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Are you saying that vegans can’t have meat eating pets?
Sorry I’m autistic so I think differently when I read things.
i am saying that Vegans have no right to take other animal's lives. That means vegans do not feed non vegan as that is taking other animals' lives. Feed vegan is the message. If one has to choose...then it should be based on fairness...minimal harm is the principle of veganism..so 1 life does not equal 100 chickens per year lives. Otherwise...it is speciesism.

i am saying that Vegans have NO RIGHT to take other animal's lives. That means vegans do not feed non vegan as that is taking other animals' lives. Feed vegan is the message. If one has to choose...then it should be based on fairness...minimal harm is the principle of veganism..so 1 life does not equal 100 chickens per year lives. Otherwise...it is speciesism.

There are carnivores for a reason. It is to keep populations of species under control. This is what nature intended to keep the balance and harmony or ecosystems. There is no reason to feed carnivores a vegan diet. Being vegan, you shouldn't even own a pet and you have no right to take away what is natural and instinctful to an animal.

There are carnivores for a reason. It is to keep populations of species under control. This is what nature intended to keep the balance and harmony or ecosystems. There is no reason to feed carnivores a vegan diet. Being vegan, you shouldn't even own a pet and you have no right to take away what is natural and instinctful to an animal.
a "pet"is not part of any ecosystem quite the contrary so your arguement fails at the 1st point. 2ndly a vegan does not breed and kill animals...that is the very basis of veganism. since pet cats dogs thrive healthily on a vegan diet that is what a vegan should feed. there is nothing wrong with the diet this fox was and is given...vet have confirmed this. the whole thing was a hype of hysteria.

a "pet"is not part of any ecosystem quite the contrary so your arguement fails at the 1st point. 2ndly a vegan does not breed and kill animals...that is the very basis of veganism. since pet cats dogs thrive healthily on a vegan diet that is what a vegan should feed. there is nothing wrong with the diet this fox was and is given...vet have confirmed this. the whole thing was a hype of hysteria.

Pets are very much part of the ecosystem. Where do you think they came from? Lol many years of forcing animals to breed with other types of their species to create something for our pleasure and companionship. Think again about where your pets come from. It doesn't matter that the vegan diet it healthy, what matters is what is natural to the animal and respecting how they are supposed to be instead of trying to change that for your beliefs.

So you've forced an animal to do something. Does this not go against a huge part of the vegan philosophy? How do you even justify having a wild animal as a pet? It is confined and being forced to do something against its will and instincts.
i have no "wild animal" as a "pet" i have 2 domestic breed dogs 1 domestic breed cat and 4 domestic breed turkey hens. I think you mean "you" meaning the person who has this fennec fox. Last i read fennec foxes were an invasive species in many countries and considered part of pest control measures...a bit like feral domestic non native cats in Australia are...where they are busy culling 1 million feral cats as they are destroying the "native" and "real" wildlife species there.

"Pets" are animals that we "force" to confine in our homes and control every aspect of their lives. They are totally unnatural to the ecosystem now. Their lives are totally forced on them by us humans in every aspect...the most obvious is their lack of freedom to go where they want when they want, breed and live in the wild with their own species.

That fox...like any "real" natural wild animal is now a "pet" just like our domesticated species "pets" became once we enslaved and bred them for our entertainment. It would probably be dead in the wild, I took little interest in knowing why the person ended up with this animal but many people "save" wild animals and i vaguely recall that was the situation. So she has already saved its life. In the wild...only 50 percent of a wild pride of lions make it to aulthood...1 in 8 of a family of wolves...not that today those exist without human protection in reserves. So any "pet" has a much greater chance of living longer than it would have done in the wild. This fox included.

That the ideal of a vegan world is "no pets" is correct. "owning" an animal is not vegan...it is forcing everything about its life on that animal. Food is the least of the problem of its lost "rights" in fact since "freedom" is the greatest quality of life of any living creature..we humans have it..we do where we want when we want...no "pet" of ours has that freedom. They get fed what we humans give them.

It is a fantasy to think it is "unnatural" to feed an animal kept as a prisoner by a human unnaturally in the first place and then think we the human should go out and hunt mice or whatever and kill them to feed it...what our "pets" need is healthy nutrition that we buy them that bears no resemblance to any animals...kibble is kibble. Tins of chopped up cows mixed with plants are a human nutrition creation. The "pet" has no idea what it is eating and i suggest cares even less...animals eat...instinctively...no animal lets itself starve.

I agree there is a strong argument for saying...Vegans should stop owning pets...let the rescues be destroyed 100 percent..at present 50 percent of abandoned "pets" are destroyed in any country. The benefit would be the deterrent to "own" pets and abandon them so liberally thinking in fantasies that they will be rehomed. Only half are. If people realised they should "not" own pets and not therefore abandon them the "pet" population would drop like a stone far faster than is currently the case. "Pet ownership" of dogs and cats is on the decline in many countries. Which is a good think imho.
People do not have the time or wish to be burdoned with the 10 percent of walkies time etc that "pets" get accorded. Humans activities are a totally alien world to any species but humans...which is natural...tv watching...tv...crossing roads...our social activities are not ones that our "pets" share other than our handbags on leads and collars walking at our pace mostly except an hour or so a day if a dog.

This fennec fox story has turned into a storm in a teacup. It is 1 animal...that would be dead if not rescued by this person...many fennec foxes are being "sold" as pets I noticed in various places however. So obviously there is a "market" for this kind of "pet" an it is not protected by laws that "some" wild species of animals are against being "owned" by humans.

Once a human "owns" as is possible such an animal...they are perfectly entitled to feed it whatever they wish...they may kill and eat it legally if they so wish. That this person is a Vegan and naturally chooses to not kill other animals simply to feed 1 animal is an ethical reasonable decision. This fox's life is not worth a human killing many other animals for especially when perfectly adequate vegan nutrition exists for it. As the vets have confirmed. Therefore it is only perceptions of fantasies that other people whose business this fox is not who try and see anything wrong with how this fox is either fed or owned. She legally "owns" this animal as many people "own" animals legally and can and does legally feed it what she chooses.

Since this fox is still alive and doing well on the vegan nutrition and the issues with its health were other than nutrition related...which is perfectly normal ... humans...animals have health issues not related to nutrition...I do not see why other people are getting so annoyed about the matter...I suggest the whole issue of "all pets" being "owned" by humans is a far more important issue that people should be encouraging people to stop doing. I certainly say to people who coo over my dogs when out ....do "not" get a dog no...you have a family and responsibilities...a dog is a huge burden for the small time that you would have to play around with it. This summer...out at beaches etc...i saw so many dogs just having to be "forced" to sit bored on short leads under tables in pubs etc whilst the family chatted played did things that humans enjoy...it really is a "dog's life" for a "pet" dog. They are just toys in reality that understand nothing and take no interest in the human activites that humans naturally take an interest in. They are not our species. Each species naturally should live free with its own species, which "pets" do not.

What i regret for this fennec fox and all like him is that he lives alone without company of his own species to go free in nature where and when he likes. I doubt very much the animal gives a toss what he is eating and eats it with relish

edit ps...I meet often people walking hunting breed dogs on leads. A whippet the last one...some of them are "never" let off leads...the last one i met, a puppy on a huge beach...the family with the puppy said that this puppy would not be let off lead for at least 6 months ! a Pharoah hound before that had never been off lead for 2 years of its life to date....huskeys also dogs always on leads. Walking at the pace of a human ! it really saddens me to see such animals never "free" even to run 1 hour a day...that loss of freedom is a "force" that we humans exercise on hundreds of millions of "pet dogs" that live sad lives indeed imho. What they eat...is the least of the problem. These breeds of dogs that never get what I consider even "minimal" freedom...would "love" to exercise their instincts to "run free like the wind" but they never do...their entire lives are imho a tragedy. Forced to live with collars and chains and in human houses like slaves that they are. prisoners. Let us not think that "food" is what the problem is...it is their entire life situation of being "forced" to comply with a human life environment.

Last edited:
Pets are very much part of the ecosystem. Where do you think they came from? Lol many years of forcing animals to breed with other types of their species to create something for our pleasure and companionship. Think again about where your pets come from. It doesn't matter that the vegan diet it healthy, what matters is what is natural to the animal and respecting how they are supposed to be instead of trying to change that for your beliefs.
our "pets" are certainly not part of a natural ecosystem anymore than the breeds of farm animals are. Only species that live in the wild are part of any ecosystem..what humans created is not ecosystem we bred these animals designed them ourselves not nature.

We do not respect animals by having them as pets...owning animals is immoral and not vegan. Therefore the food we give these animals is of no consequence we feed them human created nutrition. We are being hypocritical to think we want to do something totally "unnatural" like "own" and force an animal to comply and live in a human world that is totally alien to those species original ancestors...and then pretend we are complying with some minor issue of the nutrition we feed it. It is in fact hilarious...pets...are not humans...they are other species of unnatural animals that are forced into lifestyles that are not natural to any original species of those animals.

If anyone fantasises that we humans are feeding our "pets" anything "natural" i suggest we need to wake up...lions do not breed animals in cages then eat them...and humans should not do so either in a vegan ethical objective. That is exactly what veganism is against ! humans "forcing" animals to be bred and killed ! One cannot be vegan and think this is ethical even if legal currently.

ps the domestic cat if you read up ...is actually an invasive species unnatural to most countries that humans introduced it into...it is so invasive that currently in australia 1 million gone feral domestic breed cats that are unnatural to the ecosystem are being culled...because they are in fact destroying the natural ecosystem and native species of animals there.

It is totally "unnatural" for any animal in nature to be fed by another species animal. Therefore humans should not "own" animals or feed them as that is totally unnatural to start with. The fact that we "do" currently "own" animals means we are doing something totally unnatural to start with and all the food we give them is our creation. We have no right in addition to "owning" an animal ethically as vegans even if legal currently to "kill" other animals...the whole thing is ludicrous...to "kill animals" is not vegan, that is quite clear.

Last edited:
I want to thank Vegan Dogs for providing basic facts.

I don't understand all the resistance he or she gets. Do people simply not understand what is being said? It is not complicated.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Correct. It is not complicated. An animal should not be taken from it's natural environment and forced to do anything that is not natural to it. This is what is happening in this situation. So this is why there is resistance. Animals get sick and die in the wild. That is natural. Human intervention is not. Anyone who is under the vegan belief system should not support what she is doing with this fox.

Correct. It is not complicated. An animal should not be taken from it's natural environment and forced to do anything that is not natural to it. This is what is happening in this situation. So this is why there is resistance. Animals get sick and die in the wild. That is natural. Human intervention is not. Anyone who is under the vegan belief system should not support what she is doing with this fox.

this animal like all PETS was not born in the wild but bred in captivity. so is not part of any natural ecosystem.

pet ownership needs to stop. fenec foxes are popular pets due to their catlike behaviour playful

btw it is doing fine on the vegan diet. health issues were not diet related.