Vegan snacks

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I really enjoy snacking so my favorites which are easy to make and to carry around are these;
  • Roasted pepper and hummus wrap
  • Wholewheat pasta salad, made with tomato puree, olive oil, peas, sweetcorn and roasted peppers. Add some pesto for more flavor.
  • Mushroom pate on crackers or as a sandwich with lettuce and cucumber

You are good, I am a lazy veggie. I tend to just snack on fruit, nuts and veg or very bad crackers and crisps. I really am not good at making things to carry, I tend to just find something when I get hungry which if I am honest often turns out to be harder than I thought and I end up being bad and getting chips or being good and having fruit bags or an apple.

Alexia said:
I really enjoy snacking so my favorites which are easy to make and to carry around are these;

• Wholewheat pasta salad, made with tomato puree, olive oil, peas, sweetcorn and roasted peppers. Add some pesto for more flavor.

Do you make the mushroom pate yourself or do you buy it? I have tried vegetal pate from the supermarket, all kinds of brands and models, but they taste just awful. Could you share a recipe, in case that you do?

I mainly snack on apples and nuts, I also find avocados to be very filling. It keeps me satiated for a long time. Some of the veggies tho. And also Chia seeds! I mix it with veggie juice, coffee and coconut oil! I love the crunchy texture in my mouth when I eat it! I use it as my main fuel source when I go on a long run.

My favorite snacks are baby carrot sticks - with or without hummus. I also love raisins and pistachios. Keeping these three snacks on hand satisfies sweet, salty and crunchy cravings for me!

My favorite vegan snacks are made in my food dehydrator. You can make your own fruit rolls, kale chips, any type of dried fruit and vegetable chip, etc. You can even make your own smoothie powders. When making the fruit rolls for the little ones, you can even mix in greens or veggies and they won't even notice it. Dried watermelon tastes like cotton candy. Dried strawberries have the consistency of fruit snacks that use gelatin. These are very easy and healthy alternatives to store bought animal byproducts, and even healthier then some packaged vegan snacks, too.

Although I love hummus, especially since it tastes so much like a cheese spread, it is fun to change things up a bit too from time to time, either by making special blends of hummus, such as a roasted red pepper version, or try some different ingredients all together, and make something like a black bean dip instead. One of my easiest black bean dips that I whip up is just a can of black beans (drained), a small can of El Pato spicy tomato sauce, a little Olive oil, cumin and lime juice to taste, and season to taste. Throw it all in a blender until it's really smooth, then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to blend together. I'll throw a little leftover fresh onion in there too if I got it.

Another favorite snack is some guacamole spread on toasted bread - I love to go with something bold flavored, like a dark pumpernickel, but a toasted ciabatta bread will work too. If I don't have any guacamole, I may just mash up some slices of avocado with a few thin slices of red onion, and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

Although I love hummus, especially since it tastes so much like a cheese spread, it is fun to change things up a bit too from time to time, either by making special blends of hummus, such as a roasted red pepper version, or try some different ingredients all together, and make something like a black bean dip instead. One of my easiest black bean dips that I whip up is just a can of black beans (drained), a small can of El Pato spicy tomato sauce, a little Olive oil, cumin and lime juice to taste, and season to taste. Throw it all in a blender until it's really smooth, then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to blend together. I'll throw a little leftover fresh onion in there too if I got it.

Another favorite snack is some guacamole spread on toasted bread - I love to go with something bold flavored, like a dark pumpernickel, but a toasted ciabatta bread will work too. If I don't have any guacamole, I may just mash up some slices of avocado with a few thin slices of red onion, and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

Great ideas. I've also made an eggplant dip and that was great instead of hummus. I do like caramelized onion hummus and also chunkier roasted red pepper hummus as I can scoop it up with some lettuce leaves as well and I end up using it for wraps and also in burgers instead of mayonnaise. You can get vegan mayonnaise or make it yourself if you didn't know.

Lots of people eat these dips already and don't even realize they are vegan. If you make a batch of these dips and pates they can last you all week for snacks and for lunches.

I love carrot sticks, as well as mongo sprouts and dried mangoes. I'm just transitioning into a vegan, so I only have few vegan snacks to start with.

If you really need to lose some weight and do healthy choices then having a healthy snack is a good idea. When I am not eating Cheese Burger King or having French fries then I mostly prepare mangoes, oranges, bananas and grapes as my afternoon or midnight snack. More fruits snacks for me than eating processed foods or fast foods as they say.

I like to snack on nuts, seeds and rice cakes. I like crunchy. So, It includes crunchy granola too.
I also have a sweet tooth, so the baby lettuce is nice to crunch on, and sweet carrots and red peppers.

I love to snack on dates. The proper dates that are named varieties that still have their stones in them. They are lovely, chewy and taste wonderful. Good when I need a bit of sugar and still have plenty of fibre with them!

I also make homemade fruit leathers, which are essentially any fruit you want mixed in with some cooked cooking apple and then whizzed to a puree and dehydrated on a sheet.

Nuts & seeds are another great snack source, but I do prefer to roast my own which is easily done.

Oven roasted chickpeas are an excellent snack source, as are dehydrated peas and beans - broadbeans in particular! Again I make my own with my dehydrator. It is a touch counter intuitive taking dried chick peas (or others), soaking them, cooking them and then dehydrating them again, but adding garlic, turmeric and ginger in the cooking stage adds some excellent flavour and then you can add other flavourings as wanted/needed/required or otherwise. Wasabi flavoured dried peas are wonderful.

If I have an emergency requirement for a snack, and need to purchase something from a supermarket then it is choc-chip hobnobs or original hobnobs unless my favourite handy fruit & nut bars are available. Cashew Nit Cookie by Nakd. They are great in an emergency, a good boast of immediate sugar, fibre and some nuts to add long term energy. I'm not worried about the sugar content because if I am eating it, then it means I need it because I only eat them in certain circumstances.
If I am looking for something savoury and it has to be shop bought then Pringles Texas BBQ flavour is my preferred option, but they are very low down on the list tbh.

I love to cook, so I end up making quite a lot of the snacks myself. I think my favorite snack is probably hummus and vegetable sticks. Or if I'm not in the mood for something healthy, chips. I like baked apple chips or banana chips as well. If I fancy something nutty I'll usually have either pistachios or almonds and walnuts. I'm not really a fan of peanuts or cashew nuts personally. I also like jam on toast sometimes as a quick snack..

I must say I really like eating indian snacks. Not the healthiest option but it sure beats the american made snacks. If it wasn't for the oil and salt, these snack would be pretty healthy. the company is called Haldiram and there sold mainly at Indian supermarkets. You can make them at home as well.

Mushroom Pate! That sounds so good can you post a recipe, I have only ever had eggplant pate...

I made this mushroom pate at Christmas and it was AMAZING. Everyone loved it, and it worked really well on crackers, bread, with veg sticks, I even used it as a filling alone with some cranberry sauce for some little pastries that I made to use up some leftover puff pastry. Just be aware that this recipe makes a LOT - I ended up having to throw some away in the end because even after bringing it out at every meal/snack time, we still didn't get through it all while it was still good.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras-foie-gras-vegetarian-lentil-mushroom-pate-recipe/

I used chestnut mushrooms rather than button ones, as I think they taste better, and I used tinned lentils as I had enough cooking to do without messing about with dried lentils!

I just started but I have 2 go too snacks.
I love cherry tomatoes if Im hungry thats my go to snack.
I also made a snack mix of unsalted peanuts,unsalted cashews,unsalted deshelled pistachios,dried cranberries,raisins and wasabi peas. The wasabi peas do have bleached flour in them though

Lately, my favorite snacks have probably been cashews and dried figs. I love majdule dates but the grocery store is continually sold out. Or else they just stopped stocking them.

Hummus and pretzels or carrot sticks is another snack I like. Apples too. Anything easy, tasty, and usually fairly healthy.

I have just found "Nuts.com" and they sell all kinds of stuff we can not find locally and Ship REAL fast! I had ordered by mistake their Channa Daal which l had thought was a raw chic pea with no husk, but it turns out to be a delicious (But salty) spiced chic pea .