Vegan pet foods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting discussion. I have never thought about it so seriously. I have a cat and a dog and i feed both meat and vegetable diets. I am not sure they would have it any other way but it's interesting to know there are more options besides the veggies i feed them sometimes.

We have 5 indoor cats and 1 wild cat outside, they are all fed dry food, canned food and raw meat. I do mix cooked veg in with their wet food, if they were hunting for themselves all of the prey would be eaten including stomach contents. They all like different food , 2 like raw fish,1 likes raw chicken,2 like canned food (not fish though ) and old outside boy will let you pat him when raw beef is offered.
When we had dogs they ate a more veg and less meat ratio than the cats. I think it's not what we want but what the pet needs should determine their diet.

Do you think that feeding your pet vegetarian/vegan pet food is cruel? Obviously I'm not talking about feeding herbivores like rabbits vegan, rather, people who feed their dog/cat vegan food. These animals are natural carnivores - especially cats, who are obligate carnivores - meaning they can't digest plant-based foods efficiently, and need meat for survival. Dogs on the other hand can eat plant matter if necessary but are still carnivores.

The companies that produce these foods claim they provide adequate nutrition and that animals can thrive on them. But I fear there could be health repercussions even if they have supplements for the things they need from meat like taurine. I feel as if it's cruel to force your diet choices onto a carnivore who naturally eats meat. I'd say if you don't want to buy meat-based pet food, get a herbivorous companion instead or keep no pets at all.

However, I am not that knowledgeable on the topic.

What do you think? Do you have dogs or cats? Do you feed them vegan/vegetarian or not? And why?

I came to start feeding my Shih Tzu puppy vegan kibble due to her likes. Let me explain what I mean. When she was 6 months old the vet diagnosed her as having an allergy to animal protein and said to feed her a fish based diet. I found a fish kibble that was salmon and sweet potato. Over the next two months of starting the kibble she refused to eat. Lots of days she wouldn't eat any kibble and other days she would eat half of what she was supposed to have for the day. I tried mixing in raw veggies and she would eat the veggies an leave the kibble. I tried mixing it with water and it worked for a couple of meals but then she was back to refusing. I tried pureeing apples and mixing the kibble with home made applesauce with no additives and again that worked for a couple of meals and she was back to refusing to eat. She has always loved raw veggies (carrots, peas, string beans) and fruits (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples, oranges, pineapple, and pears). So I think my puppy was telling me what she wanted to eat and I bought a bag of vegan puppy kibble and she has loved it ever since. She is almost 9 months old now and I am planning to switch her to the adult formula of the same brand when she is a year old. She never liked the training treats that I initially bought for her when I got her at 6 weeks of age. She was eating a chicken puppy kibble from 5 weeks of age until she was 6months old and she was smart enough to leave the training treats behind in her dish if I left a few in there. I ended up giving the training treats away and she has raw veggies and fruit for treats. Her name is Gracie but I call her my little fruit salad. The food part is easy but what I am searching for now is a multi vitamin and a probiotic that is in pill form and is vegan. Someone has to make this product but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone know of a product like this. Currently her multi vitamin and probiotic are beef flavor and she takes them from me with no problem but if they are going to aggravate her allergy I would prefer a vegan formula.

Last edited:
Do you think that feeding your pet vegetarian/vegan pet food is cruel? Obviously I'm not talking about feeding herbivores like rabbits vegan, rather, people who feed their dog/cat vegan food. These animals are natural carnivores - especially cats, who are obligate carnivores - meaning they can't digest plant-based foods efficiently, and need meat for survival. Dogs on the other hand can eat plant matter if necessary but are still carnivores.

The companies that produce these foods claim they provide adequate nutrition and that animals can thrive on them. But I fear there could be health repercussions even if they have supplements for the things they need from meat like taurine. I feel as if it's cruel to force your diet choices onto a carnivore who naturally eats meat. I'd say if you don't want to buy meat-based pet food, get a herbivorous companion instead or keep no pets at all.

What do you think? Do you have dogs or cats? Do you feed them vegan/vegetarian or not? And why?

No one here seems to be aware of BRAMBLE ! astonishing. vegans unaware of the Guinness World Book of Records Book in 2002 longest lived dog then ! VEGAN ! 25 years old fed on home made veggies ! like most peasants hunting dogs have been for decades I add.

It is a "modern" phenomenon to buy dog and catfood.

For decades and still now...hunting dogs we kept and others still keep...get fed not MEAT but boiled veggies pastas etc ! people in the country with hunting dogs do not feed their huskies laikas etc meat ! that is expensive and wasted on hunting dogs.

Super fit...fast obviously as hunting dogs need high energy

My MODERN fancy breed dogs...like my cat...were fed bought flesh content foods...what a mistake that was.

It is Poison...giving DEATH and CRUELTY to dogs and cats is ridiculous and unnecessary . especially for vegans.

Cancers...antibiotics...low grade below human flesh etc. it is all unhealthy besides cruel.

My relatives LAUGHED at me...more money than sense they said.

Then my female dog got stomac ulcers...vet said go vegan the acidity in stomac is the issue...and now both my dogs are fed vegan kibble and super healthy. no more stomac ulcers.

There are thousands of long lived healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. BRAMBLE is the most famous of course.

Hope this is informative as i am astonished that vegans do not know these things.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

both my 2 dogs and my kitten are vegan fed. cats like dogs live full healthy lives on vegan nutrition. they are not alone. plenty others exist. therefore the matter is not open to discussion about IF. it is a proven fact that dogs cats live healthy full lives on vegan diets. it is not a question of "forcing" anything on any animal anymore than it is "forcing" a dog to wear a lead and collar...a totally unnatural to a free animal restraint and control by humans. animals eat. they have not idea what they are eating they would eat chocolate and it would kill them so going by what they LIKE is not sensible for nutrition.

fulll vet links and supplies feed details for cats and dogs on this page...http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs I tried on a raw diet (courtesy of vegans I knew that fed their dogs this way) long before I even considered being vegan. Long story short, it was too much work and back to kibble they go. I've tried it since going vegan and it utterly grossed me out and again, back to kibble they went. I've since been trying to become more of a natural/holistic type of person having even worked at a holistic animal hospital and a raw diet is very much becoming popular.

I became vegan for my health and then was later informed on the horrors the animals are put through just for our selfish ways. Since learning this, it has been very hard for me to justify feeding my animals "animals". However, I am in a position now where one is not healthy and would benefit from a raw diet (with proper research and guidance from my vet) and the other that kibble just doesn't agree with. You name the food, I have tried it and they are both just not thriving.

Anyways, this thread has greatly given me relief that I am not a horrible person for trying to feed my pets what they are meant to eat while I feed myself what I was meant to eat. Not asking for judgement or arguments, just wanted to share my tidbit.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs I tried on a raw diet (courtesy of vegans I knew that fed their dogs this way) long before I even considered being vegan. Long story short, it was too much work and back to kibble they go. I've tried it since going vegan and it utterly grossed me out and again, back to kibble they went. I've since been trying to become more of a natural/holistic type of person having even worked at a holistic animal hospital and a raw diet is very much becoming popular.

I became vegan for my health and then was later informed on the horrors the animals are put through just for our selfish ways. Since learning this, it has been very hard for me to justify feeding my animals "animals". However, I am in a position now where one is not healthy and would benefit from a raw diet (with proper research and guidance from my vet) and the other that kibble just doesn't agree with. You name the food, I have tried it and they are both just not thriving.

Anyways, this thread has greatly given me relief that I am not a horrible person for trying to feed my pets what they are meant to eat while I feed myself what I was meant to eat. Not asking for judgement or arguments, just wanted to share my tidbit.
Try the dog food from ketunpet.com. My Gracie loves it.

I hope no one will, when I worked for the vet, there was a dog referred to us from a homeopathic vet, she was being fed a vegan diet, only a young dog and sad to say it died.

It is not a problem to feed a dog a vegan diet if one is sensible and makes sure that they are getting a balanced diet suitable for their needs. The only obstacle is whether the dog likes it or not.

I am a cat owner, he moved in of his own accord from down the road when he was about four, he eats meat and fish cat food, he is very fussy. You can buy vegan cat food, it has added taurine as does ordinary cat food.

Research is the best way to come to a decision about what to feed your pet.

well update. i have had a vegan cat now 1 year. healthy doing great. and i discovered on facebook there are tens of thousands of healthy vegan cats and dogs around doing great. http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html this was my cat 6 months old. glossy coat in great health. the dogs too now several years fed vegan doing great. bramble the famous vegan dog lived 25 years on a home made vegan diet. 27067569_10156435891384131_5942100611115878830_n.jpg exocet energy vegan belgian shepherd groenendael dogs talacre beach wales cymru.jpg exocet energy vegan belgian shepherd groenendael dogs talacre beach wales cymru.jpg

Personally I don't think that it is ok. First of all it is not their personal choice. Even as an owner you can not decide for them. Thay are not created by nature to eat only vegeterian food. And what about proteins? Different sources claims that pets diet should contain from 20 to 50 percent of protein. Especially dogs. For example https://petstiger.com/best-harness-for-french-bulldog/ Where will you get all the required protein? And do pets even have the right enzymes to digest non-animal protein?

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Personally I don't think that it is ok. First of all it is not their personal choice. Even as an owner you can not decide for them. Thay are not created by nature to eat only vegeterian food. And what about proteins? Different sources claims that pets diet should contain from 20 to 50 percent of protein. Especially dogs. For example https://petstiger.com/best-harness-for-french-bulldog/ Where will you get all the required protein? And do pets even have the right enzymes to digest non-animal protein?
well obviously the nutrients a cat or dog needs ARE in the petfoods or they would not pass the controls on petfoods. The criteria to pass mean meeting digestibility critera.

people do not realise many of the essential nutrients are vegan like taurine vit A etc in all petfoods.

Well my veggiepets uk Benevo and Italian Ami Cat Vegan Cat Food USA Vegan Cat Food USA Cat Vegan Cat Food USA and USA V-dog and Dutch Yarrah etc all exceed BPA (British Petfood Authorities) standards of vegan petfoods for cats dogs ferrets so no worries there. more details by British Highly awarded Vet here http://www.vegepets.info/ ps the RSPCA were round and met the vegan fed cat vegan fed dogs and vegan fed turkeys. No issues. My vegan cat here..http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Rescue_Kitten_New_Little_Tyke_Midnight_Hannukah_Capricorn.html and UK manufacturer and importer of high quality vegan petfoods here. https://veggiepets.com/

Fish is the least healthy animal that was suffocated horribly to death to feed a cat. fact. even cat experts are against fish as food to cats.

Well my veggiepets uk Benevo and Italian Ami Cat Vegan Cat Food USA Vegan Cat Food USA Cat Vegan Cat Food USA and USA V-dog and Dutch Yarrah etc all exceed BPA (British Petfood Authorities) standards of vegan petfoods for cats dogs ferrets so no worries there. more details by British Highly awarded Vet here http://www.vegepets.info/ ps the RSPCA were round and met the vegan fed cat vegan fed dogs and vegan fed turkeys. No issues. My vegan cat here..http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Rescue_Kitten_New_Little_Tyke_Midnight_Hannukah_Capricorn.html and UK manufacturer and importer of high quality vegan petfoods here. https://veggiepets.com/

what is CRUEL ? death of 1000 rabbits over 1 cat lifetime or a healthy vegan fed cat ? no contest in the CRUELTY definition.

Reactions: Lou
A dog is an omnivore not a carnivore so they can eat a vegan diet. I used to feed my guide dog Jilli Ami dog. I also had pet rats that were fed on a vegan diet as rats are omnivores too. I've not had a cat since I went vegan as I don't know if cats CAN become vegan. Personally I wouldn't want to risk it. But omnivorous and herbivorous animals do fine on a vegan diet.

My cat and plenty other cats thrive on their vegan diets. 20 year old vegan fed cats exist. All the nutrients they need are in the vegan petfoods.

Celine was one of the Hillgrove Farm Cats Bred for Vivisection. The farm went out of business following a sustained campaign by Animal Rights Activists. Celine has been thriving on a plant based diet for 20 years. This is a photo taken tonight. VEGANE KATZE, CHATS VEGANS. VEGAN CAT. Benevo Ami Pet Food UK Evolution Diet Pet Food Corp. Compassion Circle VeggiePets.com Andrew Knight

Vegan cats Celine and Poppy. The Siamese boy died last year just a few days short of his 20th Birthday. He had been vegan for about 10 years and remained very healthy, he died in his sleep (in my bed). Celine the black cat was rescued from a vivisection farm estimated age 9 to 18 months old. 15 years later she had a routine check-up and the vet said she has the blood profile of a 7 year old cat! Celine has also enjoyed a vegan diet for 10 years. Fed Benevo Kibble.

Domestication of animals is Slavery.
The French word "domestique" means SERVANT.
The reason we are having discussions about mistreatment of animals at all is because we have created an unnatural existence for animals.

It is unnatural...for an animal of another species to be fed by another species in the first place !
Farm animal breeds are poor Frankenstein creations of humans that suffer as standard in their unhealthy unnatural shaped bodies and are unable to fend for themselves in the wild and not part of any natural ecosystem. Animals humans OWN are all reduced to the status of dependents with all their natural freedoms taken away from them. We TAKE their LIVES from them FORCE death on them because they are our PRISONERS. We do NOT respect the Vegan Principle of ANIMALS ARE NOT OURS to use as we choose, we take their lives because we OWN them and can use our power to do so.

Everything about a domesticated animal's Life is FORCED on them. They consent to none of their unnatural existence as owned by hairless ape humans as their toys and are totally dependent on us which is totally unnatural. We cut off their testicles, deprive them of their natural wishes to live in their own species produced families, have them living unnaturally in human houses on couches, fed by us, allowed out by us when it suits us forever dependent on us.
All animals should live free as nature intended. Domestic animals are prisoners of humans forever unnaturally dependant on humans. The breeds humans created are Frankenstein unnatural species, not part of any natural ecosystem.

https://www.abolitionistapproach.com/essay-domestication-pet-ownership/celine vegan cat.jpg celine vegan cats.jpg francione pet meme.jpg

Last edited:
The matter is very simple. MINIMAL HARM is the primary vegan principle.

So what is least harm ? to BREED and KILL 1000 rabbits/chickens to feed 1 pet cat ? who as proven thrives on vegan food ? or feed Vegan and save 1000 lives ? no contest.

Pet cats are ALIVE thanks to VEGAN essentials in their petfood. all arguments about fantasies are irrelevant compared to that FACT

TAURINE, VITAMIN A and ARGININE are synthetic so VEGAN anyway in all supplements and in all commercial quantified ingredients. THESE are the essentials a cat species needs to even LIVE...without arginine a cat can die in 1 day. ALL PETFOODS have these as Synthetic so VEGAN as standard in all petfoods that quantify those nutrients in the petfoods sold.

http://www.vegepets.info/ has links to all the approved passing ALL nutrients needed for species of dogs cats ferrets petfood suppliers of Vegan Petfoods.

Summary of the main arguments against vegan fed cats...

1. FORCING an animal to eat (putting food in a bowl is not force feeding)

2. AGAINST NATURE (owning an animal and another species feeding it is unnatural)

3. CATS WILL DIE THIS CAT IS AN EXCEPTION (cats are cats biologically the same no cat not getting the nutrients needed for life itself would survive)

4. CATS NEED MEAT (cats need nutrients that are NOT in the MEAT in petfoods like Taurine and VitA, Arginine due to cooking destroying those and synthetic vegan supplements are added as standard to all petfoods so cats are alive thanks to vegan essential nutrients, raw feeding experts all recommend adding the synthetic supplement Taurine)

5. Cats hunt have teeth sizes to tear flesh (kibble modern petfood is hardly tear it up to eat it material and cats do not fish fish are actually unhealthy toxic to cats per any cat nutrition expert)

6. PROTEIN is digestible proven from plant sources by cats.

Animal petfood protein is the 5th largest continent. the real wildlife of this world has had its habitats destroyed by animal agriculture growing 1000 times more plants to simply process them via animal flesh for nutrients already there.

TAURINE, VITAMIN A and ARGININE are synthetic so VEGAN anyway in all supplements and in all commercial quantified ingredients. THESE are the essentials a cat species needs to even LIVE...without arginine a cat can die in 1 day. ALL PETFOODS have these as Synthetic so VEGAN as standard in all petfoods that quantify those nutrients in the petfoods sold.

LIONS and TIGERS are practically EXTINCT today due to animal agriculture the main cause of their loss of habitats growing 1000 times more plants to feed farmed killed animals. 26 states of Africa have no more lions at all...only 20 thousand lions remain in the world and less than 4 thousand tigers. There are more domestic pet cats in 1 city than the entire world population of lions and tigers.

Last edited:
Thanks to Vegan Dogs for introducing facts.

There are two basic kinds of dog and cat food.

One, grind up animals, add synthetic nutrients, call it dog or cat food.

Two, grind up plants, add synthetic nutrients, call it dog or cat food.

Vegans should understand the basics of nutrition for both ourselves and our pets. There is no debate about whether dogs can do well on vegan diets. There is a debate about how many people can do it well.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Pet parents give their dogs VitaLife dry dog food with confidence because they know that each recipe is made in Canada. Crafted and packaged with care, VitaLife dry dog food features three dog-approved flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.