Vegan on a budget

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Found this article - haven't read it yet but I know there have been people asking about how to do vegan on a budget...
We're a vegan millennial couple that spends around $415 a month on groceries —here's exactly what we buy
The author and her boyfriend, both vegans, spend about $415 on their monthly grocery budget.
Emily Bloch :

https://www.businessinsider.com/budget-vegan-groceries-2019-3

Last edited:
I would love to get my grocery bill lower, but I guess according to this I’m doing ok. I spend about $800 a month for four people. I’m the only one who is meat and dairy free, but meat costs don’t factor into our regular grocery shopping expense. We almost never eat out, or eat prepared food, so this is all home cooking.
I live in what is considered a food dessert. We have two grocery stores in the entire county, and both are overpriced, and I can’t get everything I want at either of them. The closest place for me to buy any food is 15 minutes away, the closest “natural foods” store is 40 min away, and seasonal farm stands are inconsistent. I have the resources to get whole, fresh foods (enough money, a reliable car and flexible job schedule) but it’s frustrating to see others in my community not able to access good food. (Well, what I consider good food)
I am a community organizer by occupation, and would love to have this as my focus someday.

I would love to get my grocery bill lower, but I guess according to this I’m doing ok. I spend about $800 a month for four people. I’m the only one who is meat and dairy free, but meat costs don’t factor into our regular grocery shopping expense. We almost never eat out, or eat prepared food, so this is all home cooking.
I live in what is considered a food dessert. We have two grocery stores in the entire county, and both are overpriced, and I can’t get everything I want at either of them. The closest place for me to buy any food is 15 minutes away, the closest “natural foods” store is 40 min away, and seasonal farm stands are inconsistent. I have the resources to get whole, fresh foods (enough money, a reliable car and flexible job schedule) but it’s frustrating to see others in my community not able to access good food. (Well, what I consider good food)
I am a community organizer by occupation, and would love to have this as my focus someday.
I’m interested... where on earth do you live?

Reactions: TofuRobot
My shopping bill is around $100 per week for a family of 4.

This includes non food items such as toilet paper, eucalyptus oil, detergent,etc. This also includes organic from the farmers market:)

I have to admit, where I live, it is certainly very cheap bill. Most people I know spend at very minimum double and could be for fewer people.

Reactions: Lou and TofuRobot
nowhere exotic- central Pennsylvania, USA.
Don’t know much about US Geography or demographics but I thought PA (I hope I got the abbreviation right right) was well populated? Are you in a country town?

Just a small suggestion. Go to the library or book store and get acquainted with a few Vegan cookbooks. Write down some recipes from them. (take a photo with your phone) It's fun cooking Vegan and it doesn't have to be expensive.

A cheap rice/grain cooker and a food processor are a great investment too, vegan or not.

Armed with those two common kitchen items you can have some fun and create interesting dishes. You can make your own sauces like pesto, hummus, etc. You'll get good at it!

Improvise, it's fun.