Vegan in Germany

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Sorry this is in the UK section but I couldn't find a Europe bit.
I'm a bit worried about going to Germany for a Christmas market next month. It's only for a few days. I thought about gettin the vegan passport but its only for Germany really.
Any advice? Xxx

I haven't been a lot to Germany as a vegan (except briefly once), but I have been travelling to lots of other places.

Where specifically in Germany are you going? I'm sure the bigger cities are not complete vegan wastelands.

Obviously, if you're going on your own you can go to eat wherever you want, but if you're with a group it can be more difficult. Check the obvious sites for info about the specific place you are going. Find out which restaurants, cafes etc will have options for you. Find out which supermarkets have the best options.

Where are you staying? Will you have access to a refrigerator? Cooking facilities? If you have a refrigerator, you can buy soya milk or another plant milk for breakfast cereal, so then at least you have breakfast sorted out. If not, you may be able to find small packages of soya milk or soya yoghurt that don't require refrigeration, or that you can go and buy every day for your breakfast.

Also, are you staying over a weekend? Remember that lots of places probably close on Sundays.

I have no Germany-specific info. But if there are difficulties, or you suspect there may be, you can also bring food with you. For example when I travel I always bring little packets of almond milk for cereal for breakfast, and sometimes cereal bars, nuts and dried fruit if I think I might not be able to eat at certain meals (for example if I am going with other people) so that I can just order a drink and some fruit or salad, and then have some more filling snacks later on. Or little bars of chocolate as pick-me-ups :)

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
I haven't been a lot to Germany as a vegan (except briefly once), but I have been travelling to lots of other places.

Where specifically in Germany are you going? I'm sure the bigger cities are not complete vegan wastelands.

Obviously, if you're going on your own you can go to eat wherever you want, but if you're with a group it can be more difficult. Check the obvious sites for info about the specific place you are going. Find out which restaurants, cafes etc will have options for you. Find out which supermarkets have the best options.

Where are you staying? Will you have access to a refrigerator? Cooking facilities? If you have a refrigerator, you can buy soya milk or another plant milk for breakfast cereal, so then at least you have breakfast sorted out. If not, you may be able to find small packages of soya milk or soya yoghurt that don't require refrigeration, or that you can go and buy every day for your breakfast.

Also, are you staying over a weekend? Remember that lots of places probably close on Sundays.

I'm going to Berlin, and have - since posting this - found some really good sites for places to eat...not looked through them yet though but that's next on my list.
I'm only going for a few days (get there weds and come home sat am) with my bf to the Christmas markets. I doubt there will be anything I want to eat there as it will be mainly meats, pastries and bread (maybe the bread would be ok?) but we could deff eat out somewhere suitable for me in the eve if he snacks at the markets during the day.
We are staying in a hotel which annoyingly doesn't have a fridge or a kettle...otherwise I could take pot noodles :-( xxx

Reactions: SummerRain
I'm going to Berlin, and have - since posting this - found some really good sites for places to eat...not looked through them yet though but that's next on my list.
I'm only going for a few days (get there weds and come home sat am) with my bf to the Christmas markets. I doubt there will be anything I want to eat there as it will be mainly meats, pastries and bread (maybe the bread would be ok?) but we could deff eat out somewhere suitable for me in the eve if he snacks at the markets during the day.
We are staying in a hotel which annoyingly doesn't have a fridge or a kettle...otherwise I could take pot noodles :-( xxx
Okay, I too would recommend bringing a few foods with you, like SummerRain suggested, snacks & energy bars, etc, both to tide you over and to have as more substantial meals. That is always a good idea anyway when traveling as a vegan.

If nothing else, proper German beer is vegan, as it follows the Reinheitsgebot. It's not the law any more, but proper German beer still abide by it.