Vegan from Africa

Some of your responses suggest it isn’t normal (e.g. trying to “ascertain”) to ask someone what tribe they belong to. It seems that although many times it is easy to tell, it isn´t always instantly obvious. Is it considered rude to directly ask this question about tribe? What about foreigners – would Nigerians appreciate being asked about their tribe by someone from another country such as UK or USA, or prefer not to be asked?

If the Igbos (and others living in that South-East region) had a vote to be a independent nation, would they definitely vote for it? Are there any opinion polls on this sort of question? Would it make sense for other groups in that area like Ijaw and Ibibio to join with the Igbos to form a new nation? Do these other groups support this or are they more concerned about being dominated by the Igbos?

I am sorry it is so difficult to be a vegan there. Here in Chile things are improving in terms of product availability, used to be only vegan products in the most expensive supermarket a few years ago, now there were many vegan products like burgers and so on at 3-4 different places in the supermarket. The products that taste like meat are becoming more common here. I expect it will be hard for such international products to compete on price in Nigeria but in the Americas the prices are getting closer.
You know, I am quite impressed with your knowledge of Nigerian tribes, it shows you have done your detailed research. I do not attempt to give a response with a paradoxical meaning, I will try to give clarity to my answers.

It's normal to ask someone in Nigeria what tribe they belong to, it's a frequent question I also receive because of my first name. It isn't rude at all, it serves as a criteria to better understand the person you are questioning. Same should apply to other countries, when a Nigerian is asked to identify his/her tribe, they are glad to do so because they are proud of their indigenous identity.

About the Igbo's desire for sovereignty, it's a tricky situation like I said before. Biafra as a supposed Nation, claims not to be an Igbo only land. The Ijaws claim Biafra more than the Igbo's, they would even tell you to your face that they aren't Igbo, because they truly are not. I believe I did buttress a point that their supposed Biafra leader is incarcerated at the moment, but not all who claim to be part of Biafra, accepts him as their leader. One thing I have noticed in life is, everyone desires power, they crave it for so many reasons. Since the death of Ojukwu, the man who spearheaded the movement of Biafra that lead to the civil war, many supposed men have come out as leaders of the proposed Biafra.

I think they would definitely vote to be an independent nation, since that's the reason for all the clamour in the first place but I don't know who or who would join in their new democracy, for even some fragments of South-East and South-South, do not support the movement. It's a slippery slope, heading to destruction.

Thanks for your concern for my vegan journey, it's not as bad as you think because I cook my meals. Being able to cook means I get to please myself. My only challenge is, I crave for plant based meat, just to have the feeling of texture when I eat. Few restaurants are springing up, but their menus are way expensive due to the monopoly. Also, the distance to those restaurants needs to be considered, as delivery service would be quite expensive. In summary, it is expensive and difficult to maintain a vegan lifestyle over here, but with the mind determined, anything is possible.

Thanks, that was helpful.

Nigeria could be a very important country in the future because some people think its current population of 200 million could grow to 400 million in some decades so it could be the 3rd most populous country in the world in the future. So it could be an important country for people to learn about.

I know a little about the Biafran war because I read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which is set in that period so even though it is a fictional novel it gives you one perspective at least on what that was like. I also read Fredrick Forsyth´s account The Biafra Story some years ago.

I think the Biafra cause is probably a worthy one but I may be biased as the two books above which influenced my opinion are both pro-Biafra or from an Igbo perspective. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is Igbo of course. Also, I haven't seen any recent news or developments on this in the last few years.

I think people should have a right to determine their independence as long as they are large enough and have a coherent enough movement. So for example I think in the USA California or Florida if there was a big independence movement should be allowed to have a vote. But if a small town in the middle of the USA wanted to be an independent nation that makes no sense. I also think the Chinese should allow Taiwan to be an independent nation if it so chooses, Spain should allow the Catalans to be independent, Ukraine should allow Crimea to break free, the UK was right to allow the Scottish people a referendum etc etc.

Hi,

I am sure it was an experience for you. It's really amazing that a country has more than 30 different languages, if there was no unified official language, I am sure Nigeria would not exist but fractions of tribes as nations instead.

How would you rate your experience working with a Nigerian on a scale of 1 - ?10?

Cyril
Since she's the first person whom I've met to identify as Nigerian, I wouldn't generalize- but she is intelligent and competent, and also friendly and not at all arrogant. Our workshop instructor noted she has a presence about her- and I agree! Our office building was set up so that people didn't often see each other unless they worked in the same bureau, so I didn't see much of her after that workshop.

Reactions: bEt and Oluwamuyiwa
New here too, hello.
Hi friend,

Glad you could join us, this forum is full of amazing people with great advice and information for vegans and vegetarians.

I have learnt a lot since I joined, and I learn everyday as I read through amazing replies, informative quotes and educative articles.

Please, feel free to express yourself, feel at home and welcome to vegan forum.

Peace & Love
Cyril

Reactions: bEt and Lou
Hello Cyril,

I had more or less missed this very long introduction thread as I don’t have much time at the moment to follow the forum, but would also like to wish you a very warm welcome here!

You mentioned that it is difficult to buy vegan meat in Nigeria - what about making your own?
Is it possible to buy the ingredients, like Seitan powder, or TVP (textured vegetable protein) ?

Reactions: Oluwamuyiwa
Hello Cyril,

I had more or less missed this very long introduction thread as I don’t have much time at the moment to follow the forum, but would also like to wish you a very warm welcome here!

You mentioned that it is difficult to buy vegan meat in Nigeria - what about making your own?
Is it possible to buy the ingredients, like Seitan powder, or TVP (textured vegetable protein) ?
Hello Andy,

Thanks for warm welcome, I do feel at home. Yes it's difficult to buy vegan meat in Nigeria, and way expensive to make my own. It would be easier to just buy than make due to the low publicity and population of vegan in Nigeria.

A lot has happened since I started this thread, I wish I could bring you up on the latest, maybe some other time.

HI again, I would be a pioneer and start a vegan group in your area. Perhaps have a vegan potluck and explain to
people to bring only plant foods. Some also believe that eating dead animals lowers our human frequency and
vibration because we are eating 'lower' animals and becoming what we eat. We eat the death of animals.
We become that animal nature.
And, that we all want to live, so do the animals that humans kill and eat. cheers.

Reactions: Oluwamuyiwa