Vegan experience in Japan.

Bluerice

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So, I've been onto a trip to japan for a month, and I've got something to share:

First off... You need to learn some basics in Japanese... You won't find anything simple there, and, it's crucial to realize that they add butter and fish-products onto almost anything...
What you can trust, is pretty much, what you can actually see.
(And let's be honest, it's an advice for everywhere... Don't trust canned foods, boxed foods, industrial foods etc'... Anything that you can't see what it's made from with your eyes, is never to be trusted).

So... If you go there, buy fresh produce from supermarkets, make your own food... Don't trust anything, for, the concept of Veganism is not familiar to them.
While fruits are steep in price, you can find rather cheap locally grown vegetables, especially at evening, when the prices there go lower.

Aside from that, don't buy any juices, don't be tempted by anything looking nice...
Even the 100% Orange juice, contains a certain flavor ingredient made out of fish.

You'd become heavily dependent on Rice and Edamame soy... They'd be your best companions.
Let alone, that Japanese rice is the best rice you can ever find... The smell of the rice fields on the countryside is highly addicting to the senses.

There are Vegans in Japan... I'd suggest you make contact with them prior to coming, they'd assist you greatly in many regards.
Japanese people are very tolerant and polite, but... It's best to address your questions of such matters only to those that understand the subject, otherwise... You'd leave shop keepers and restaurant keepers highly confused.
There are however Organic and Vegan shops&restaurants in Japan, you need to mark them all up prior to going... Plan your trip there based upon such things, if you want the whole experience.

Tokyo and Kyoto hold the diversity you need... But, in other places and the country-side, you'd need to depend upon chain convenient stores and local supermarkets, and again- Only what you can identify as good with your eyes.

I have to say though, the plain Gohan(Rice) that is sold in stores like 7-11, that requires only a bit of heating in the microwave is perfectly fine.
You just have to make sure that the apparent Kanji/Hiragana written there indeed only say that it's made out of rice.

And, that's pretty much it... The variety of Vegetables, especially beans, makes it highly possible to be Vegan there.
You just need to pick the right produce :)

Reactions: boyd nixon
I made an account just to reply to this post.

I've been vegan for about a month now and I'm taking a trip to Japan in January for about three weeks, so this post was actually very useful for me as I have been wondering since I transitioned how difficult it will be to maintain this diet while in Japan. I was even considering breaking "veg" for the few weeks I was going to be there.

However, after reading what you wrote, I'm actually motivated to keep my vegan diet while in Japan, so thank you!

Reactions: Bluerice
I'm glad that you found my post useful, I can give you further detail if you wish, and I know a few sites that are useful in general for the traveling Vegan in Japan.

You can live as a Vegan in Japan, and live well even.
I've spent a month there mostly hiking, and what I ate was sufficient for leading a sport-focused adventure!

Thanks this is helpful - I'm looking to go to Japan this year in September. Reading this though I assume that I'm best to avoid hotels and go for appartments and just cook our own.

We didn't intend to eat in at restuarants all the time - we are more used to grabbing street food on the go and have a couple of night time sit ins.

I do expect that mistakes will be made though as its not a language that we can even make guesses at.

We plan on getting the 14 day railpass so will be between Tokyo and Hiroshima - so most likely 3 -4 stops in places.

Thanks this is helpful - I'm looking to go to Japan this year in September. Reading this though I assume that I'm best to avoid hotels and go for appartments and just cook our own.

We didn't intend to eat in at restuarants all the time - we are more used to grabbing street food on the go and have a couple of night time sit ins.

I do expect that mistakes will be made though as its not a language that we can even make guesses at.

We plan on getting the 14 day railpass so will be between Tokyo and Hiroshima - so most likely 3 -4 stops in places.
Please kindly share more information about your trip. I intend to go next year :). I think I should rent a apartment to cook my own food :).

My dad went to Japan for my brother's wedding. It cost a fortune to get their. I would be put off by a country where animal products are in almost everything.

After living almost five years in China, I have to agree with some of the comments here. Thing is that people in Asia almost don’t put any meat in their dishes. However, “all” of their dishes contain meat. In other words: you will always find a small piece of beef/pork/random animal when you go to a restaurant, which makes it really difficult to be vegan.

There are of course certain dedicated restaurants that only serve vegetarian food, but not a lot of them.

So, I've been onto a trip to japan for a month, and I've got something to share:

First off... You need to learn some basics in Japanese... You won't find anything simple there, and, it's crucial to realize that they add butter and fish-products onto almost anything...
What you can trust, is pretty much, what you can actually see.
(And let's be honest, it's an advice for everywhere... Don't trust canned foods, boxed foods, industrial foods etc'... Anything that you can't see what it's made from with your eyes, is never to be trusted).

So... If you go there, buy fresh produce from supermarkets, make your own food... Don't trust anything, for, the concept of Veganism is not familiar to them.
While fruits are steep in price, you can find rather cheap locally grown vegetables, especially at evening, when the prices there go lower.

Aside from that, don't buy any juices, don't be tempted by anything looking nice...
Even the 100% Orange juice, contains a certain flavor ingredient made out of fish.

You'd become heavily dependent on Rice and Edamame soy... They'd be your best companions.
Let alone, that Japanese rice is the best rice you can ever find... The smell of the rice fields on the countryside is highly addicting to the senses.

There are Vegans in Japan... I'd suggest you make contact with them prior to coming, they'd assist you greatly in many regards.
Japanese people are very tolerant and polite, but... It's best to address your questions of such matters only to those that understand the subject, otherwise... You'd leave shop keepers and restaurant keepers highly confused.
There are however Organic and Vegan shops&restaurants in Japan, you need to mark them all up prior to going... Plan your trip there based upon such things, if you want the whole experience.

Tokyo and Kyoto hold the diversity you need... But, in other places and the country-side, you'd need to depend upon chain convenient stores and local supermarkets, and again- Only what you can identify as good with your eyes.

I have to say though, the plain Gohan(Rice) that is sold in stores like 7-11, that requires only a bit of heating in the microwave is perfectly fine.
You just have to make sure that the apparent Kanji/Hiragana written there indeed only say that it's made out of rice.

And, that's pretty much it... The variety of Vegetables, especially beans, makes it highly possible to be Vegan there.
You just need to pick the right produce :)
Food in Japan is simply disgusting!