Vegan Cookbooks

Ok, I have a question about this recipe. I made these once (the version with oil), and they were super oily. Like, I used cupcake liners but those were soaked with oil, and I had to wash the pan afterwards because it was oily in all the cups.
Are these meant to be so oily, or did I do something wrong? I'm pretty sure I followed the measurements accurately, did I maybe do something else wrong?

They tasted good, but the extreme oiliness was very off putting.

I don't know, I've always made the margarine version... but I use oil when cooking the basic chocolate ones and they don't come out like that :S Don't know why they would... under-mixing perhaps? Or not letting the soy milk/vinegar mix thicken properly?

Maybe I'll try the margarine version, and hope I have better luck with it. I'm planning to make rainbow cupcakes on Friday, so I'll try the other version then. :)

Reactions: Alice-Bee
The thing I like most about Ise/Terrys stuff is it is very homey, lots of things like pies, a number of nice salads, and most importantly it has plenty of one pot soups and stews if you just want to cook with one or 2 pots... a lot of people buy their books though for the sweets, cookies cakes etc.

^ This. Their stuff is real honest food which is surprisingly easy and utterly lovely!

I find that it will work with any type of milk, but it works better with soya milk. I've never tried with almond milk, but I have with oat, rice and soya milk and soya there was a distinguishable difference.

Does this recipe sound like its been converted correctly.

Original:
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt (increase salt to ½ teaspoon if you’re using oil instead of margarine)
½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or ⅓ cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract

To.....

240ML soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
160G Plain flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. Bicarb soda
¼ tsp. salt
125G Vegan Margarine
170G sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract

Vegan Soups and Stews for All Seasons. It's been getting a lot of use lately with the craptastic weather we've had lately, and the no-chicken noodle soup is my omni bf's most requested meal.

Aery. I tried making the recipe you recommended
http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World/Golden Vanilla Cupcakes

The picture shows light tall cupcakes that look so yummy. Mine came out darker and very stodgey. What did I do wrong?
I accidently used SR flour instead of plain, how much of a difference would that make??

You weren't talking to me, but lots of difference. People often mistakenly think that more raising agents = more rise in your cakes, but actually if you use too much if rises too quick and collapses making your cakes very flat. SR flour is flour with raising agents already in, so in the UK people usually don't add any (or just 1/4 or 1/2 a tsp of bicarb) raising agents into cakes when using SR flour, so by using both you have effectively doubled the raising agents.

It's an easy mistake to make though! I accidentally used plain instead of SR in dumplings the other day and it took me ages to work out why a recipe I use all the time produced tight, uncooked and tough little dough balls.

I think if by doughy you mean dense and stodgy then yeah. Flat cakes = doughy and too dense, well risen caked = light and fluffy.

Reactions: Alice-Bee
I only use almond milk in VCTOTW vanilla cupcakes and they always turn out perfect. :)

I've made those cupcakes once, and used almond milk instead of soy. They turned out delicious but quite oily. I think maybe I didn't let the almond milk and vinegar sit long enough before mixing into the batter.