Vegan Business

ben retallack

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi,
I am planning on starting a vegan food truck business in the summer of 2021, selling Mexican food and smoothie bowls on certain days. I am wanting to call it 'proper vegan'. I just wanted some feedback from you guys on the name, if you think it is good or not?
Thanks, Ben.

A name should be easy to say when talking to someone "are you going to Proper Vegan ?". Mexican places have Mexican names , how about "Mucho Vegan". "Proper" makes me think posh Englandos.

We have a organic vegan fast food truck in our City . . .

347a91ba40d08fcb8b6394c8e7e924a1_1500736077.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: silva
We have a lot of food trucks around here (northern California) . but none are exclusively vegan. LA has a lot of totally vegan food trucks. (hey maybe that is an idea for the name - Totally Vegan.) I can see it on the beach. With some surfboards on top. Totally Vegan, dude.

anyway, I like the idea and I would drive a little extra to get to a vegan food truck.

Food trucks are getting really popular around here too. The nearby train station closes the parking lot on Sundays and has a little food truck festival. Also, they took a block near a different train station in San Mateo and closed it to cars and have food trucks there every day now.

And although now that Thin Man said it the word "proper" does have some posh connotations. But that was not the first place my mind went. In Atlanta, there is a very successful vegan restaurant called the Slutty Vegan and my first thought was that Proper Vegan wasn't slutty. :)

Pics!
Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 8.18.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 8.20.10 AM.png

I like Totally Vegan more than Proper Vegan - is implies there are Improper Vegans and I am just thrilled when anyone is vegan, proper or not...

other ideas Complete/ly Vegan, Tasty Vegan, Casa Vegana

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: Sproutskies and Lou
I like Casa Vegana!
Always Vegan. Veganista.
"Proper" anything gives me the idea of something British, like bangers and mash!

Reactions: Emma JC
Hi,
I am planning on starting a vegan food truck business in the summer of 2021, selling Mexican food and smoothie bowls on certain days. I am wanting to call it 'proper vegan'. I just wanted some feedback from you guys on the name, if you think it is good or not?
Thanks, Ben.
Maybe call it "Vegan Tacos". I've never met anyone who doesn't like tacos.

Hi,
Thanks, Ben.
Was working in food trucks and restaurants for close to a decade before getting into what I'm doing now..

One of the best things for a food truck to thrive is to attract people of all eating styles. If you are going to do full vegan it might help by making the food/menu so good that even the non vegan crowds will want to throw their dollars at you/join the party. There are some restaurants that make seasonal "plant based food" (full vegan in many cases), don't advertise it as vegan at all, and get ranting reviews from the flocking crowds of meat eaters.

Maybe a name like Holy Mole or something fun that could catch anyone's eye, Vegan or non-vegan. I like Proper Vegan but would worry that this would exclude potential customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
I am torn over @David3 's suggestion to leave out the word Vegan. Instinctively I agree with him and yet feel sad doing so.

Maybe Casa Plantas or something similar that will signal to vegans what is served and yet not be so obvious that the carnivores will catch on. lol

Emma JC

Reactions: Sproutskies and Lou
I think leaving out the word vegan was REALLY good advice ten years ago.
It still might be good advice. but....

Ten years ago it was common knowledge to marketing guys that the word vegan was synonymous with "tastes bad". Companies would avoid using the word. You still see some of that today in the stores where many vegan products are labeled plant-based.
However, the tide is turning and we may even have hit the tipping point. I see vegan on labels in the store a lot now.

But Some vegans like (or love) the idea that their food is not cooked on a grill where meat is prepared. They like the idea that the company they are giving their money to is as vegan as they are. That they are doing as much as they can to avoid supporting the livestock industry in any way.

So I think it might be worthwhile to cater to them. I will drive quite a bit out of the way to hit a vegan restaurant. To me, the word vegan is a selling point.

And you know what, if some carnivore is so turned off by the word vegan they won't buy food from your food truck - well you don't want their business anyway. Let them eat hotdogs.

Emma may be onto something tho. Can we have a code word for vegan? I don't think Spanish is the way tho. I was thinking Latin but then even most vegans wouldn't get it. Nagev? I'm thinking along the lines of something that borders copyright infringement - or maybe even get permission.
The Eat To Live Food Truck?
How about FOK Truck?

I am torn over @David3 's suggestion to leave out the word Vegan. Instinctively I agree with him and yet feel sad doing so.

Maybe Casa Plantas or something similar that will signal to vegans what is served and yet not be so obvious that the carnivores will catch on. lol

Emma JC
??
When did I suggest to leave out the word Vegan?

A name should be easy to say when talking to someone "are you going to Proper Vegan ?". Mexican places have Mexican names , how about "Mucho Vegan". "Proper" makes me think posh Englandos.

We have a organic vegan fast food truck in our City . . .

347a91ba40d08fcb8b6394c8e7e924a1_1500736077.jpg
The vegan in your photo has proper legs, for certain.

Disclaimer: I am happily married, and faithful to my beautiful vegan wife. I'm just noticing who's in front of me, that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinman
I think Emma just mixed up your post and Sproutskies' post. That sometimes happens with the elderly.
:hmm: Guessing that was meant in jest--but it's the internet--need a :p, or something...

I would strongly suggest you do call it a name with a reference to vegan! I hate when I miss something because there's nothing to suggest a vegan option!

Unless it's whole food based I would avoid labeling it that way, instead offer options to jazz things up if your food is all wfpb.
Like many people would want something like processed cheese, or an oil based topping (if wfpb), to be more inclusive
I'm kinda used to disappointment with healthy vegan restaurants :dismay:

??
When did I suggest to leave out the word Vegan?

ah yes, thank you @Lou - I did confuse the two....

and also, @Lou - I am not even at mid-life at the moment as I intend to live to 130 so middle-aged would be a better descriptor :broccoli:

Emma JC

Reactions: silva