Vegan Birth Control?

D

Daisy Huck

I recently discovered that most birth control is not vegan. Condoms are tested on animals and contain animal products, as are birth control pills. So how do vegans regulate sex? What kind of methods do you use?

No, the same hormones in an IUD will have been animal-tested. There are also plenty more health risks that come with a device that is semi-permanently fitted inside such a sensitive part of the body, such as uterus distortion, pelvic infection, ovarian cysts, anaphylaxis, abnormal bleeding, dysmenorrhea or menorrhagia (I could go on). An IUD will also not protect you from STDs and has even been linked to increased instances of breast cancer or ectopic pregnancy when it fails. I really don't recommend.

Also - I really don't think a man should be talking about semi-permanent contraception measures to another woman, especially one that involves invasive procedures like getting an IUD fitted into one's uterus. I, personally, find that insensitive and misplaced. I am offended, I really am.

In fact you can pretty much guarantee that any form of hormonal contraception (yes, copper IUDs are not hormonal but same side effects apply please follow the link) will have been tested on an animal. Which is why most vegans use certified condoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only brought this up as a point of discussion from knowing someone using a copper IUD. I did not think the copper version had hormones.

About men talking about women contraception, well ... the subject concerns both genders really.

It is true that most copper IUDs aren't hormonal IUDs (but all those side-affects I list still apply), but that is not my point of contention with your post.

I still think it is completely misplaced for any man to bring up the subject of invasive, semi-permanent female contraception. The issue here is not the matter of discussing contraception in general terms, but - I'll repeat - invasive, semi-permanent female contraception. Particularly with strangers, in this case someone much younger. Perhaps you do not hear how offensive that is, or notice how your response and lack of apology indicates a seemingly willing blindness about it.

I've said all I have to say on the matter, really. Matters of procreation and contraception are not equal, the implications for men are not the same and your 'mansplaining' is not welcome. It comes across as oppressive, insensitive, to jump to something invasive and semi-permanent coming from a male.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar topic: would you find it offensive for a woman to talk or suggest vasectomy for men ? I would not.

I recently discovered that most birth control is not vegan. Condoms are tested on animals and contain animal products, as are birth control pills. So how do vegans regulate sex? What kind of methods do you use?

Hi :) I always look up food I really love to see the health benefits. I has papaya a few months ago and had a browse on the internet about the seeds because i didn't know what to do with them. I found out that they are actually a great form of birth control for men. You can dry them out and use them as a replacement of pepper (they look very similar to peppercorns and taste very similar) Though the guy has to eat a teaspoon daily and they're better crushed up to release the goodness. It will lower/stop his sperm count after 3 months and if the man stops eating them, his sperm count will go back to normal.
Heres the article I found about it :) I hope this is helpful. To be honest, there are probably a load of things you could use as vegan birth control, there are so many natural remedies that work wonders but don't make big companies big bucks so we dont hear about them. So don't worry at all you'll probably find a lot of alternatives :)

The link - http://community.omtimes.com/profiles/blogs/10-amazing-health-benefits-of-eating-papaya-seeds

Also you can actually buy vegan (and vegan/eco friendly) condoms. They don;t last for years and years like commercial condoms, and i think they are about 10% less effective - but they're 100% vegan! :)