Religion Vatican: Eucharist holy-bread must contain gluten

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Holy Communion bread must not be gluten-free, the Vatican has ruled. In a letter to bishops worldwide, Cardinal Robert Sarah ruled the unleavened bread can be made with genetically modified organisms, but cannot be entirely gluten-free.

However, the Coeliac Society of Ireland has moved to reassure its members that low-gluten holy bread is safe to take – following the new guidelines by the Church.
More: Vatican bans use of gluten-free holy bread during Mass - Independent.ie (11. July 2017)

I suppose if it's an issue, one could ask to trade the bread for a second glass of wine? ;)

I guess I'm a little confused...I wouldn't think it would matter what the host is made out of as it is the act of transubstantiation that counts.

Geeze. That's seems like a pretty big deal - making communion more difficult for people with problems with gluten.

Maybe Catholics could bring their own gluten-free communion wafers to mass? Just a thought. (From a non-Catholic.)

Would the tiny amount of gluten in a communion wafer actually cause a flair up?

ETA: Just read the article, and apparently not.

It seems to be one of those issues that shouldn't be an issue, on either side. The church is being doctrinaire, and the celiac disease sufferers are being unnecessarily angsty.

I think it could be an issue for someone who really suffers from celiac disease...but I don't know that much about the illness.