Using hide

Amanda90

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
Hello everyone
I have been rattling this in my head for a year now and would like some input on it
So I know people that hunt wild game and there is no changing their mind I have tried but nothing is working, but my question is... is it hypocritical of ME if I use the hide from the deer they kill? They would just throw it away but I wanted to commemorate the animal that lost their lives by making something that be a celebration of their life and not just trash..... some days I feel like "yea that's a good idea, that way the animal doesnt just get tossed aside and only used for its meat" other days I feel horrible for even thinking of using the hide..... I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this question in their own mind or what are your thoughts on it. Thanks

I would take no part in that, myself. I wouldn't feel right about it, personally. I do get that when people go vegan, they may or may not part with leather items they've previously purchased, but there's a difference here. Even if I couldn't convince them to stop hunting, why would you want to justify their wrong doings by accepting the hide? Personally, I just think it sends the wrong message. I would continue protesting their hunts until I am either out of breath or dead.

Reactions: Amanda90
Hi Amanda,

So, what do you do with this hide?

You can’t have it stinking the house out so you scrape off any remaining fat and flesh. You soak it repeatedly until it softens and scrape it again. You then get to work with chemicals and go through the full curing process over a few weeks.

And then what have you got?

I do not think you will have something to celebrate the life of a magnificent beast. What you will probably have is a constant reminder of a hunter taking the life of a wild animal in its prime. And it was done for pleasure. It would be akin to the sports trophies that consist of animal heads mounted on boards and attached to a wall.

To end with a cheerier note: I have a single antler from a Scottish red deer in my living room. I found it on the slopes of Ben Vorlich in the Trossachs. I can treat that as a memento of happy days and of a celebration of a proud animal because there was no killing involved. It was the result of the natural process of annual antler shedding.

Roger.

I don't know if hypocritical is the right word but it would be counter to your values to use the hide.

Deep down, you don't want to utilize the remains of sentient beings. If you did you would want to use the hides of deceased relatives and pets. It is only cultural conditioning that tells us certain animals are resources whose remains are wasted if not used.

Thank you everyone who replied, you all have total valid point and I have decided not to use the hide because of what you all have pointed out, it completely makes sense and I appreciate you for helping me come to a conclusion