Urgent advice needed

Vanille

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I bought a lipbalm from a coworker (she has a sidejob to do with skincare) it was expensive (for a lipbalm) tho it's a really nice product and she claimed it's 100% vegan
See where I'm going? It's not... Contains beeswax... I feel gross having to finish it now, I can't give it to someone else either (would be gross if I did) it's biological and not tested on animals at least...

I still think I should finish it as I paid for it, it works well and I can use it for a pretty long time... I never use anything on my face tho my lips get dry to the point of bleeding. I'm allergic to most lipbalms so I was happy I found one that works (but not vegan after all) after YEARS of random bleeding lips yep

Now another struggle: skin rashes on my hands (and since a few days in my armpits). I had this problem for ages tho when it moved to my hands I finally got annoyed by it... Hormone treatments don't help, tho I figured it has to do with the weather (problem occurs during the summer months) or at least... It's autumn now, but I STILL have these rashes, this is new... Some of my nails look ugly too... Bumpy and yellow-ish. I'm not lacking anything... It looks like psoriasis and I'm gonna see a doctor next week (tho here in my TRASH country, it can take months before a diagnose) I thought I should get some vegan handcream... Mission impossible! I finally found one, same brand as my shampoo, except the handcream isn't available in the store... Only in 2 webstores and in both you need to spend a certain amount of money or else you can't order AT ALL. Like wtf, I don't wanna buy all kinds of useless **** + shipping costs just so I'm able to buy that one product... Insane. Other brands are either way too pricey or contain ingredients my skin doesn't like... And I rather not spend too much on skincare as I tend to have random allergies, would be a waste if I can't use it...

Hmm I'm kinda scared tho as my doctor might prescribe me something unvegan... I make exceptions for medication (except from supplements, would kinda ruin the purpose of a vegan diet amiright) Skincare products I don't view as medication however, tho my hand rashes aren't a cosmetical issue, I'm actually in pain... But another hormonal treatment wouldn't be good for my skin either, only works temporary anyways... I'd literally refuse.

Another possible cause could be mold, my parents' house is full of it, every single room has mold... They don't do anything about it either... Skin rash can be caused by it, as well as breathing problems and dry/red eyes (all issues I have) I need to leave ASAP also for my mental health but it's so hard to find a house here... Already wrote a letter to the housing coorporation hoping they'd give me extra points....

Yikes on the mold issue! Can you at least treat some of it with bleach & water (the only thing I think that kills mold)? That stuff is scary. I have bits of it in my house - but in isolated areas, and I'll be selling my house next year (deal is already done and it's as-is), and it doesn't bother me so I"m not especially focused on addressing it. I already know it's going to be a tear-down so. I'm not sure what I would do, though, TBH, if I or my son were to be having health problems or it was all over the place (the only place I notice it is under my bathroom sink).

As for the lip balm, I'd just keep it if it working for you, if not - maybe give it away to someone? I absolutely love this lip balm:

I actually have a flavor called "vanilla & orange" which they don't sell, but sometimes throw in as a bonus when you buy some.

My son used to have a hug problem with dry lips. He literally manages it now by making sure to stay hydrated. I am going to guess that you are already aware of that and hydration isn't enough. I get it.

Sorry - I wish I could help with the psoriasis and hand cream... Have you tried making your own? I really think the biggest issue for you right now is getting away from the mold. I'm hoping you can do that real soon.

Reactions: Vanille
When it comes to ethical dilemmas (and we all have them from time to time) it's helpful to look at how important this one thing is to the whole rest of your life. For me, I'd chalk up the lip balm as a expensive mistake from which to learn and toss it. But whatever - it's a done deal. :) As for your skin issues, that's a bit more of a concern. You need relief. If you don't have relief, you'll suffer. If your situation is dire, use what is prescribed for now, get relief, and once your skin has settled down, look for alternatives if you've found that what you've been prescribed that is indeed non-vegan. I know that my mother, who is the exact opposite of vegan, has had dry itchy, scaly skin and has treated it for years by eating a tablespoon of safflower oil every morning. That would not be something I would easily choose to do, but hey, if it works...

So good luck. Go easy on yourself - we've all made "mistakes" and wished we had made other choicese. But no one is perfect and if someone gives you a hard time, remember that they are not walking in your shoes.

Last edited:
Yikes on the mold issue! Can you at least treat some of it with bleach & water (the only thing I think that kills mold)? That stuff is scary. I have bits of it in my house - but in isolated areas, and I'll be selling my house next year (deal is already done and it's as-is), and it doesn't bother me so I"m not especially focused on addressing it. I already know it's going to be a tear-down so. I'm not sure what I would do, though, TBH, if I or my son were to be having health problems or it was all over the place (the only place I notice it is under my bathroom sink).

As for the lip balm, I'd just keep it if it working for you, if not - maybe give it away to someone? I absolutely love this lip balm:

I actually have a flavor called "vanilla & orange" which they don't sell, but sometimes throw in as a bonus when you buy some.

My son used to have a hug problem with dry lips. He literally manages it now by making sure to stay hydrated. I am going to guess that you are already aware of that and hydration isn't enough. I get it.

Sorry - I wish I could help with the psoriasis and hand cream... Have you tried making your own? I really think the biggest issue for you right now is getting away from the mold. I'm hoping you can do that real soon.
Thanks!

Yeahhh but this is exactly what I meant: I'm allergic to vanilla, using that one means swollen lips (and I have full lips already, I'd look like a clown) also, buying American products is a nope for me, unless sold here, but shipping is like 20+ euros.

No my parents do nothing about the mold, it's everywhere... In my room as well, and not just a few spots. We haven't had guests in years and I refrain from dating as I can't take a girl home like this. Calling a professional? No way, "too expensive" lol when the roof above my parents room kept leaking, my dad tried to fix it himself which took ages, their one wall is entirely brown...

Another fun topic: mice in the house, every single winter. Tho we filled all holes in the walls, they run around between them, you'll hear them trying to make new holes... Many sleepless nights...

But yeah everything is "too expensive" except from partying I guess...

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52