Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Just saw on our local news feed... Emma JC

Ben & Jerry's sued over 'happy cow' characterization

The Associated Press
Published Friday, November 8, 2019 12:26PM EST
Last Updated Friday, November 8, 2019 1:11PM EST

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Ben & Jerry's is facing a lawsuit accusing the ice cream maker and its parent company of false advertising by saying the milk and cream in its products comes from "happy cows."
In a complaint filed Oct. 31 in federal court in Burlington, Vermont, where Ben & Jerry's was founded, environmental advocate James Ehlers accuses the company and Unilever of deceiving consumers.
He says many of the farms that produce the milk and cream are factory-style, mass production dairy operations. He says only some are part of the company's "Caring Dairy" program.

Ben & Jerry's spokesman Sean Greenwood emailed Friday that the company doesn't comment on pending lawsuits. He said it's proud of the work it's done with Vermont family farmers and is committed to building a resilient, regenerative dairy supply

Something like 20 years ago, I was on vacation and reading the newspaper and enjoying a cup of coffee. On the front page, below the fold, was an article about PETA suing the California Dairy Board over their Happy Cow Ad campaign. The reporter took issue with this because he enjoyed the Happy Cow commercials. They were humorous. Therefore PETA was humorless. I agreed with the reporter. I liked the Happy Cow ads, too.

The next day the newspaper printed a retraction. If you have ever seen a retraction (and they are pretty rare), they are usually on page 17 or something. But this one was on the front page, below the fold. And even longer than the original article.

It turns out PETA called him up to complain about his article. Their first issue was that it was an opinion piece and belonged in the editorial section. and the reporter conceded that point. then they asked for the afternoon to explain their point of view and the reporter agreed.

so they took him out to lunch and showed them the pictures and numbers they use all the time. then they asked if he had the time if they could show him a California dairy. there was one only about 90 minutes away. and he agreed. So they drove to a large scale dairy, They couldn't get too close because or no trespassing laws but they got close enough to see the cows crowded together knee-deep in manure. the reporter got out of the car and just the smell of the place made him lose his lunch.

Anyway, that day (on the way home?) the reporter wrote an apology and a very Anti Dairy article. It was printed the next day and I read it. I think that day I put my first foot on the path to veganism.

so they took him out to lunch and showed them the pictures and numbers they use all the time. then they asked if he had the time if they could show him a California dairy. there was one only about 90 minutes away. and he agreed. So they drove to a large scale dairy, They couldn't get too close because or no trespassing laws but they got close enough to see the cows crowded together knee-deep in manure. the reporter got out of the car and just the smell of the place made him lose his lunch.

Anyway, that day (on the way home?) the reporter wrote an apology and a very Anti Dairy article.
It was printed the next day and I read it. I think that day I put my first foot on the path to veganism.

More should be done to make consumers aware of slogans such as 'Happy Cows'. No cow is happy if it lives in such an appalling environnement.:worried:

It is also one of the reasons why I never buy non dairy ice cream from firms that sell both dairy and non dairy versions. :confused: