Trying to eat low-fat while vegan.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Even though I've been vegan for a while, I still feel that "transitioning" is the right place for me. For the past 9 years, I've mostly gotten by on meat substitutes and a lot of cooking oil. I used to eat two big meals per day, and that was it.

Problem is...(and I'm not asking for medical advice, you'll see that if you stick out the post)...I'm sick. I've had recurring bouts of nausea, painful trapped gas, and endless belching for some time now. The doctor did an endoscopy, which revealed nothing, and he's now concerned I may have gallstones. He put me on a low-fat and low-salt diet, and I do not know how to eat on this diet. Before you ask, there are no "good" fats on this diet - I have to avoid fat regardless of what type of fat it is. I'm averaging 800 calories per day because everything I like is suddenly off-limits.

The one meal I've managed to find a recipe for is only 400 calories. I can't only eat twice per day anymore, but I don't know how to possibly get 1,700 - 2,000 calories in a day off of a vegan diet, particularly when raw vegetables are also off-limits, and fruit isn't that many calories as far as I know, and that's all I can think of for a snack.

Another rec. for Chef AJ. The problem is the oils and the processed food. Your brain needs fats in order to function, but not the fat that comes from oil extracted from plants, just the naturally-occurring fast found in whole plant foods, like avocados, nuts, and seeds. Beans and legumes, tofu, and quinoa all have a good amount of calories, too. Chef AJ has a lot of easy recipes that are filling and tasty. You might have to consume a lot more actual food to get your caloric requirements, but if you are choosing things like potatoes, grains, beans, and tofu, it shouldn't be too difficult (or expensive) to get what you need.

welcome to the forum and it is so good that you are going to cut back on the oils and the fats

I have been living a limited fat whole food plant based lifestyle for two and a half years and for me, the cutting out of the oils and the overt fats has been super important. We eat tons of really great food that is low in fat and, in addition to all of the other great suggestions, here are some of mine

1. eat lots of starches - potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, pastas, whole grain breads, oatmeal and other whole grains
2. load up those starches with cooked vegetables that you love and load up the oatmeal with berries and bananas and any other fruits
3. add to the starch and the veggies some beans, lentils, legumes and spice it all in ways that you love
3. make a huge batch of vegetable bean chili and freeze some, make huge batches of lentil or other bean soups and freeze some

Basically just keep it simple and make large portions. You can eat amazing amounts of food when it isn't loaded with fats and oils.

I have now gotten to the point where I feel slightly nauseous if I eat a meal that is too fatty and I am happy about that.

It is also a lot less expense to eat this way than it is eating fake meats and processed foods.

All the best with your reset and keep us up to date on your progress.

Emma JC ???

Even though I've been vegan for a while, I still feel that "transitioning" is the right place for me. For the past 9 years, I've mostly gotten by on meat substitutes and a lot of cooking oil. I used to eat two big meals per day, and that was it.

Problem is...(and I'm not asking for medical advice, you'll see that if you stick out the post)...I'm sick. I've had recurring bouts of nausea, painful trapped gas, and endless belching for some time now. The doctor did an endoscopy, which revealed nothing, and he's now concerned I may have gallstones. He put me on a low-fat and low-salt diet, and I do not know how to eat on this diet. Before you ask, there are no "good" fats on this diet - I have to avoid fat regardless of what type of fat it is. I'm averaging 800 calories per day because everything I like is suddenly off-limits.

The one meal I've managed to find a recipe for is only 400 calories. I can't only eat twice per day anymore, but I don't know how to possibly get 1,700 - 2,000 calories in a day off of a vegan diet, particularly when raw vegetables are also off-limits, and fruit isn't that many calories as far as I know, and that's all I can think of for a snack.

hey "tryingtobehealthier", this is Ecyph,
preparing the best Vegan meals can be really difficult at first, it was almost
impossible for me to master how to do it without proper step-by-step tutorial
from people in the know. I've watched hundreds of tutorials
online but nothing beats this simple
clear to the cut video here .... https://al.ly/yKDtto
"75 BEST VEGAN ALTERNATIVES"

Reactions: Lou