Tragic Vegan 'Muffin'

TreeHugger

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I had a bit of a kitchen nightmare yesterday. I got the following from a VB thread a while back and last night thought, 'I can do this, mix the ingredients, pop into a cup and microwave. Bish bash bosh, done'.

2 tbsp flour
1\\2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp your favorite milk
2 tbsp sugar ,,or more if you like
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tpsp chopped nuts if you like
Instructions:
in a mug combine dry Ingredients,then add oil & milk,stir well till smoothy
place it in microwave 3-5 min

Hope you like it as I do
smiley.gif

Well, actually, whoever posted this. I don't like it as you do. Because it turned out like this (please see attachment)

:eek: :rofl:

Thank god I didn't add chopped nuts. Imagine the horror.

If anyone knows what the hell happened here, please enlighten me. I think the only thing I deviated on, was using hot chocolate drinking powder instead of actual cocoa powder, because I was super needy for chocolate and couldn't be bothered to leave the house.

Has anyone tried these, or a similar recipe before (successfully) and/or have a proper recipe?

Attachments

• Micro muffin.jpg
    Micro muffin.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: Dedalus
tumblr_m05dp7jvpY1qays9z.gif

I have NO idea what could have done that. I wonder if those cake-in-a-mug recipes need a certain wattage microwave? Like, "don't make this in a microwave over ___ watts" ?

It leaves a nice texture on the mug, though! :D

Reactions: mary1
Hahaha I had to throw the mug away, it immediately set like cement and no amount of attempting to chip away the inch thick crap inside it or soaking it was helping o_O

Lmao! I think 3-5 minutes may be too long. Your poor microwave turntable, did it come clean? (Or is it in the sink "soaking" hoping someone else does it?) :innocent:

I've never made one of those mug creations, so Idk if they work or not.

I used to make cakes in the microwave. Never really liked them much.

Maybe if you put another cup, or two, in the oven with water in them, that would absorb some of the extra energy, so slowing down the cooking process....haven't tried that myself though.

Ohhhh, I missed the "3-5 minutes" part. Wowza, because I think all the other recipes I've seen people try never did more for more than 2 minutes. A lot of them doing 45 seconds and then add on 10 second increments until it's "just right". Or they do a minute and then add in the 10 second blocks. Here's a neat coffee cake one where she says she has perfected it to 1 minute 20 seconds. http://prudentbaby.com/2011/10/entertaining-food/a-cup-of-coffee-cake-in-under-five-minutes-2/

At least now we know that 5 minutes = nicely texturized glazed coffee mug. :p

I make a "mug brownie" that comes out perfect every time if somewhat "gooey". My recipe is as follows:

4 Tablespoons of sugar and flour
2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil
dash of salt

Mix in large mug and microwave for ONE minute. Have never had a volcanic eruption. :D

Reactions: Dedalus
For me they are a good chocolate "fix" when I have my depressive cravings. Much simpler than a whole batch and portion control.

Baked goods always end up going bad in my house. My husband and I each eat one or two servings, then I throw the rest away when they inevitably get moldy or stale. *shrug*

I tried it fairly recently and it turned out surprisingly well...I'm pretty sure it was also from VB but can't be sure. I don't think it's the recipe you posted, though.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been studying for a few months so haven't logged onto VV at all.
Thanks for the support haha it was a pretty awesome failure!

Thanks, I think I will try a MUCH lower temperature, with a mug of water in there, and definitely not for as long. I have been too scared so far (RIP Las Vegas kitty mug) :O