Traditional tasting vegan pho-Best Recipe?

Sproutskies

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Addicted to this vegan pho that this one place makes by my apartment. It tastes super traditional with the charred onion and all of the spices. It's getting to the point where I will save $ by making a big batch at home every week instead doing takeout.

Does anyone here make super good tasting pho/have recipes? Not anything with a twist or spruced up but something rooted in traditional pho flavors.

Reactions: FlandersOD
I've never had it, but I've come across a lot of comments different places about how good it is. I don't know if I can find a vegan version in my area though, unless it's traditionally vegan anyway... I'm assuming it's not.

I don't know if it uses soy sauce, or something like that- but I could develop an addiction to that particular condiment. I could do worse, I suppose, but with my family history of cardiovascular disease, I probably want to be careful of my sodium intake. Even the low-sodium varieties I've been checking out at the supermarket are quote high.

I used to be a big pho nut. Even after becoming vegan there were some places near me that made a pretty good vegan pho.
I've made it at home a few times. The first recipe below is really really good but because of the mushrooms its pretty pricey. I've only made it twice.

This recipe is what I make now because its so much less expensive.

I haven't made this recipe yet. but I like Cookies And Kate so I might try this one next.

What might be worth doing is taking the best things from these recipes and make your own custom one.
Maybe I'll do that next - and let you know. meanwhile let me know what you think.

I've never had it, but I've come across a lot of comments different places about how good it is. I don't know if I can find a vegan version in my area though, unless it's traditionally vegan anyway... I'm assuming it's not.

I don't know if it uses soy sauce, or something like that- but I could develop an addiction to that particular condiment. I could do worse, I suppose, but with my family history of cardiovascular disease, I probably want to be careful of my sodium intake. Even the low-sodium varieties I've been checking out at the supermarket are quote high.
Everything “traditional” besides bones and meat.. thought that would be implied on here. It has literally the same flavor as all restaurant pho minus the death part. Assuming it’s made in a similar way but very few online recipes seem to come out similar. I know that they adopted some French techniques of brulee-ing the onion.

Almost not worth making if can’t make the same stuff at the restaurant.

I used to be a big pho nut. Even after becoming vegan there were some places near me that made a pretty good vegan pho.
I've made it at home a few times. The first recipe below is really really good but because of the mushrooms its pretty pricey. I've only made it twice.

This recipe is what I make now because its so much less expensive.

I haven't made this recipe yet. but I like Cookies And Kate so I might try this one next.

What might be worth doing is taking the best things from these recipes and make your own custom one.
Maybe I'll do that next - and let you know. meanwhile let me know what you think.
The last link looks like the closest thing to what looks like traditional spices and flavor. Probably have to do trial and error until something resembles the same the same flavors. Remember seeing your original post/thread on that first recipe.

When I made the first one I had to buy Chines five spice powder which was sort of expensive. Its cinnamon, anise seeds, cloves, ginger and fennel seed. Cookies and Kate uses almost all those ingredients but not powdered.
Of course now that I have Chinese 5 Spice powder I want to use it but I like the idea of using the fresh ingredients.

Reactions: Sproutskies