Tolerance

majorbloodnok

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
As I have mentioned in several previous posts over time, I joined this forum to learn. This is another of my questions in that direction.

I have seen an overwhelming recurring theme in the discussions members here have that illustrates a considerable lack of tolerance by many people towards those choosing a vegan lifestyle. Sometimes, it may be explained by the activist approach some vegans adopt - no-one likes to be preached to - but more often it is more deeply seated and, for want of a better term, institutionalised. There is also, of course, a lot of intolerance to other aspects of people's lives; racism, sexism, LGBT+ prejudice, religious prejudice, disability prejudice, ageism and so many other "isms", in many cases in spite of legislation to the contrary. None are socially acceptable, although many are somehow still socially accepted.

To my mind, if it is wrong to vilify someone for choosing to follow Judaism, it's wrong to vilify someone for choosing to follow a vegan philosophy. Religious debate is fine, of course, as is dietary debate, since that only demonstrates healthy questioning and constant re-evaluation, but shunning those of a different belief is hugely damaging.

My question to you all, though, is that as vegans I'm sure you all experience this prejudice to some degree or another; what strategies have you learned to cope with the pressures, change people's prejudices and/or promote tolerance in others. I also have a secondary question to those of you who actively distance yourselves from those not following a vegan philosophy whether you would consider this now to be an active intolerance from the other side or simply a form of self defence.

I will also state here absolutely and clearly that I have no hidden agenda in asking this and am not trying to subliminally argue for or against anything. I will happily accept any answers at face value and if I follow up with any questions they will only be for clarification.

Reactions: KLS52
OK, sounds like this possibly could be a good discussion.

First off, I would like to point out that we have loads of similar threads. I created one that has links to several articles written to address this. (which I now can't find).

But your question is a little bit different than most.

Maybe cause I live in Northern California or maybe because I only meet nice people, or maybe because I don't mention my veganism to people I have just met, but whatever, I have not experienced any kind of discrimination. In fact, I might have attributed vegan discrimination as some kind of myth if it wasn't for all the posts here and a few articles I have read that addressed it.

The only thing I have ever experienced is people who are just ignorant or misinformed. but that is much rarer than it was like 20 years ago. I actually welcome those meetings. It gives me an opportunity to teach.

Well first, I never mention it unless I have no other choice. (e.g. an offsite meeting where the company will be catering lunch)

When I do mention it, typically people will act surprised. Occasionally I'll see a quick smirk or an eye roll, and on rare occasion someone will ask "what kind are you" in a guarded manner. Typically when I tell them that I'm health oriented, not AR, they'll relax.

Sometimes people will make passive-aggressive jokes/comments. "Would you like a tangerine? I hear they are vegan".

However, I have never experienced outright hostility. I imagine VF members living in the south (U.S.) may have had experiences similar to yours. (I live in northern New England)

AR = Animal Rights
Thank you David. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

When asked I tell people I'm vegan for the animals, and I consider myself an "ethical vegan".

Perhaps people who are "health related" vegans could just avoid the whole vegan discrimination thing by just calling themselves Plant-Based. Or strict vegetarian. After all, avoiding leather and rodeos doesn't do anything for your health.

Come to think of it, I wonder if HR vegans get much push back. I suppose people can argue that a plant based diet isn't the best diet. but I don't see them being threatened by a zero cholesterol diet.

To be honest, I don't catch a lot of flak from people about being vegan. Or, for that matter, about being in any of the "ism"s mentioned in the OP. (I am in several.)

I am just myself. I don't push any agenda on anyone. I figure the best activism is to be myself. If people are curious, they can ask and I will answer. If someone were to hassle me about veganism or anything else, I would state my position (I am an AR vegan, and not ashamed to admit it) and then stop dealing with them. Life is too short to allow prejudiced people into it.