Tofu-Everything You Need to Know

I often find the extra firm gone--make that usually!
Aldi just had tofu as a special, it was really good too! The cashiers said it was selling like crazy.
What's funny is I know people who swear they hate tofu, but I've brought it to pot lucks in different ways and it's always a hit. My one friend asks me to bring her my tofu spinach dip-- she still hates tofu! :rofl:
I have to admit it's taking time to find ways to make tofu enjoyable but I'm getting there slowly.:D

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
My favorite tofu story is my BIL (who is Japanese) made a tofu appetizer at a party. A vegan was there.
My BIL takes raw tofu, cuts it into cubes, sprinkles some soy sauce and fresh ginger on it, and serves it with toothpicks. the vegan loved it but had never had tofu raw before. She claimed that she will never cook tofu again.

My favorite tofu story is my BIL (who is Japanese) made a tofu appetizer at a party. A vegan was there.
My BIL takes raw tofu, cuts it into cubes, sprinkles some soy sauce and fresh ginger on it, and serves it with toothpicks. the vegan loved it but had never had tofu raw before. She claimed that she will never cook tofu again.
To clarify--it was cold tofu,all tofu is cooked as it's made from curds of soy milk.

My son often asks me to make tofu for him, just cubes sprinkled with Braggs and shaked in corn starch seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper and lightly fried. I eat so many of the cold cubes soaked in Braggs I've sometimes opened another tub

Anyone who likes sushi, or just seaweed seasoning would like tofu sprinkled with furitake seasoning. It's black sesame seeds, nori and I think garlic

Reactions: Lou
I think that the term 'raw' tofu is just a way to differentiate fresh from cooked. As already stated tofu is made from curdled soya beans which are pasteurised like dairy cheese. However, some cheeses are made with raw milk. ;)

So 'fresh' (straight out of the pack) tofu is safe to eat and may be used in various recipes.

Another good tofu news article.

• Tofu is made from soy, which contains compounds called isoflavones that have been linked to breast cancer, but recent research actually shows eating soy can reduce the risk of breast cancer, not increase it.
  • The type of tofu that you choose will have an impact on its nutritional value, but overall it's a low-calorie protein option compared to most animal-based proteins that may aid in weight loss.
  • Tofu contains calcium and magnesium, which keep bones strong and preserve bone mineral density as you age.

Reactions: KLS52
One of my favorite meal prep kinda food is a spinach dip with silken tofu and the dry packs of french onion soup and dip mix--most are vegan, I get an off brand (like Liptons)

In a food processor add the silken tofu
a glob of vegan mayo
2 Tbls or to taste of lemon juice
a packet of dip mix
1/4 or so of nooch
Whir to blend, then add thawed drained spinach and stir or whir just enough to blend

This is what I bring to potlucks with veggies and crackers
It's perfect to add to baked potatoes, or any veggies. When heated it gets thick. You can mix with hot noodles and sauteed veggies and garlic, add some cheese or artichoke hearts. A great sandwich spread.....
I need to try that! It sounds delicious. I always end up getting firm or extra firm and forget about silken tofu.

• Agree
My Aldi has kept their firm and extra firm as regulars :heart_eyes: ! $1.75
I'll still buy from the House Tofu from the Asian grocery when I go for other things, but the extra firm is very good, and nice to get at my favorite store!

I hardly ever make seitan without tofu- just realized that, as I'm thinking what kind to make :shrug: