Tofu-Everything You Need to Know

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Tofu lovers and haters may find the following article interesting.

Tofu is a popular, 2,000-year-old vegetarian staple with a wide range of health benefits. But there are still some common myths and
misconceptions about tofu production, consumption, and nutrition that need clarification. Here is everything you need to know about tofu nutrition, tofu production, and tofu’s impact on the environment.

I'm always trying to learn new facts about tofu as I'm a hater. The only way that I will eat it is either minced in a burger with tons of seasoning, whizzed up and incorporated into either a soup or stuffing.
I must say that tofu that I have bought in the US & the UK tastes far better than the one that are available over here.

I also didn't realise that feeling bloated after having consumed tofu, was due to being possibly allergic.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Tofu is low in fat and high in protein

So you should get some fat into your tofu meal, I usually stir-fry tofu with olive oil or coconut oil, sometimes I've used avocado oil. I often add cashews as well. There's a good brand I like (Canadian) which comes in nuggets that are flavoured and oily.

Soft silken tofu is great in soup, stir-fry I use regular or firm.

One of my favorite meal prep kinda food is a spinach dip with silken tofu and the dry packs of french onion soup and dip mix--most are vegan, I get an off brand (like Liptons)

In a food processor add the silken tofu
a glob of vegan mayo
2 Tbls or to taste of lemon juice
a packet of dip mix
1/4 or so of nooch
Whir to blend, then add thawed drained spinach and stir or whir just enough to blend

This is what I bring to potlucks with veggies and crackers
It's perfect to add to baked potatoes, or any veggies. When heated it gets thick. You can mix with hot noodles and sauteed veggies and garlic, add some cheese or artichoke hearts. A great sandwich spread.....

I've fallen in love with Super Firm. It's not sold in tubs. But in something like shrink wrap. Its more expensive but I think it works out per ounce of tofu because you are not paying for the water. But the reason I love it is that you don't have to press it. it's pretty much pre-pressed.

Oven-baked crispy is my favorite way to prepare it. I like it raw with some ginger and soy sauce. and you can just throw it any kind of soup, sauce, or smoothie for some added protein. It's also great for stir-frying.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
One of my favorite meal prep kinda food is a spinach dip with silken tofu and the dry packs of french onion soup and dip mix--most are vegan, I get an off brand (like Liptons)

In a food processor add the silken tofu
a glob of vegan mayo
2 Tbls or to taste of lemon juice
a packet of dip mix
1/4 or so of nooch
Whir to blend, then add thawed drained spinach and stir or whir just enough to blend

This is what I bring to potlucks with veggies and crackers
It's perfect to add to baked potatoes, or any veggies. When heated it gets thick. You can mix with hot noodles and sauteed veggies and garlic, add some cheese or artichoke hearts. A great sandwich spread.....

That sounds great. I will try it.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've fallen in love with Super Firm. It's not sold in tubs. But in something like shrink wrap. Its more expensive but I think it works out per ounce of tofu because you are not paying for the water. But the reason I love it is that you don't have to press it. it's pretty much pre-pressed.

Oven-baked crispy is my favorite way to prepare it. I like it raw with some ginger and soy sauce. and you can just throw it any kind of soup, sauce, or smoothie for some added protein. It's also great for stir-frying.
I never thought about the water being weighed.
There are recipes for seitan that are super specific about using shrink sealed tofu, but I always sub.
Do you like it, or tried it, after being frozen? I don't, but lots of people do

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I never thought about the water being weighed.
There are recipes for seitan that are super specific about using shrink sealed tofu, but I always sub.
Do you like it, or tried it, after being frozen? I don't, but lots of people do

I always freeze my firm tofu. it makes if firmer.
You don't have to freeze the super firm but it doesn't hurt. I usually have one package in the frig and on in the freezer.

• Disagree
Reactions: KLS52 and silva
Tofu lover here. I’m afraid to read the article because I don’t want to read anything bad about it.... 😁
I like the texture after it’s frozen but I haven’t frozen any in awhile.
I like making it in the air fryer. I don’t have to worry about pressing out the water so much. Dries up nicely in there.
I do mostly scrambles because it’s easier and quicker.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Tofu lover here. I’m afraid to read the article because I don’t want to read anything bad about it.... 😁
I like the texture after it’s frozen but I haven’t frozen any in awhile.
I like making it in the air fryer. I don’t have to worry about pressing out the water so much. Dries up nicely in there.
I do mostly scrambles because it’s easier and quicker.

I so envy you. :D

Yet more interesting facts about tofu:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
Many don't seem to realize just how different tofus are, even within their own parameters of soft, firm, and extra firm. The differ with the coagulants and ways of pressing.
Nothing better than fresh, homemade tofu, though I've only done it a few times. You can herbs to the hot curds before pressing-don't know why it's sold that way? I haven't seen it in stores

Reactions: Lou
I so envy you. :D

Yet more interesting facts about tofu:

Freezing Tofu Changes it
When tofu is frozen, the trapped water turns to ice crystals that puncture cell walls. The result is cavities in the tofu that give a stacked appearance. The Chinese call this thousand layer tofu. This process removes moisture and changes the molecular bonds that hold it together. When thawed the Tofu takes on a yellow color and a more tough and rubbery texture.​

Did not know all this.

• Disagree
Reactions: silva and KLS52
More people must be eating tofu because sometimes it’s all out at the supermarket much to my chagrin. I get annoyed if meat eaters buy it, lol. I feel like they have enough to eat. They need to leave the vegetarian/vegan stuff for me!!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
More people must be eating tofu because sometimes it’s all out at the supermarket much to my chagrin. I get annoyed if meat eaters buy it, lol. I feel like they have enough to eat. They need to leave the vegetarian/vegan stuff for me!!

That's not the case over here. o_O

I've noticed that too. I've also seen some new brands enter the shelves. Can't remember any new brands of tofu showing up before this. New brands of plant milk and cheese and fake meats aplenty.
The new brand is Hodos. They are a local brand but i just checked and they are distributed nationwide.

BTW, I bought their Extra firm which is like other brand's super firm - no pressing. I am looking forward to trying some of their other products. They make soymilk too. I haven't seen it yet, tho.

I often find the extra firm gone--make that usually!
Aldi just had tofu as a special, it was really good too! The cashiers said it was selling like crazy.
What's funny is I know people who swear they hate tofu, but I've brought it to pot lucks in different ways and it's always a hit. My one friend asks me to bring her my tofu spinach dip-- she still hates tofu! :rofl: