Today is the (21st June) Longest Day of the Year

Aren't children generally out of school by this time? :???: When does the school year end in the UK?

This looks like a good set of lesson plans, btw.

And happy summer solstice to everyone! (Well, except for Freesia. Happy winter solstice! Stay warm, dear.) :D

Children finish the summer term in July.

I haven't forgotten either Freesia or Kassandra as they will be having the shortest day instead. :p

Reactions: ledboots
What is brutal is that it coincides with a full moon. Woke up at 1:30am this morning with moonlight streaming in the window. It starts getting lighter at about 4:30am and doesn't get "dark" until 10:30pm so it's more like 18 hours of daylight. I'm at about the 45th latitude.

Not complaining, I'll catch up on my sleep during the loooooong winter nights. :sleepy:

I know that in the winter, some people use special lamps to combat seasonal affective disorder, but in the summer, what can you do, besides wearing eye pads? :shrug: I imagine there are plenty of people who take a lot of sleeping pills.

I know that in the winter, some people use special lamps to combat seasonal affective disorder, but in the summer, what can you do, besides wearing eye pads? :shrug: I imagine there are plenty of people who take a lot of sleeping pills.
Blackout shades on the windows, white noise machine and/or earplugs. (I worked 7pm to 730am for many years.) Oh, and melatonin. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
Wow, a 12 hour evening/graveyard shift sounds pretty grueling. :(
Yes, but three nights a week was fulltime, and further shifts were time and a half. I didn't realize how awful I really felt physically until after I stopped working that shift. The hardest part was waking up at 2 to pick up the kids from school.