Today I learned...

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Black panthers are leopards that are black. It was once thought they were a separate species but they actually are leopards with normal spots on a dark background. ... It is possible for a spotted leopard and black panther to be born in the same litter.

I don't know. If I was the dad I would want a paternity test.

I hope everyone had a happy Eat Your Beans Day.
So I checked out the National Day Calendar Radio show and I learned something Pythagorus I didn't know.
Well we all know about Pythogarus from math. And most of us vegans know that he was a vegetarian. Maybe one of the first documented Western vegetarians.
But he would not eat beans. Especially Fava beans.

One of Pythagoras’ strangest obsessions with food was his relationship to the fava bean. He believed you should never eat fava beans because they give you gas and expelling gas took away the “breath of life.”3 At the same time, he claimed fava beans contained the souls of the dead. So maybe he believed you shouldn’t eat beans because you’ll fart ghosts?​
The story on National Day Calendar radio was that soldiers were chasing him and he came across a field of Fava beans but he was afraid to cross it. And the soldiers caught him and killed him.

FYI

I hope everyone had a happy Eat Your Beans Day.
So I checked out the National Day Calendar Radio show and I learned something Pythagorus I didn't know.
Well we all know about Pythogarus from math. And most of us vegans know that he was a vegetarian. Maybe one of the first documented Western vegetarians.
But he would not eat beans. Especially Fava beans.

One of Pythagoras’ strangest obsessions with food was his relationship to the fava bean. He believed you should never eat fava beans because they give you gas and expelling gas took away the “breath of life.”3 At the same time, he claimed fava beans contained the souls of the dead. So maybe he believed you shouldn’t eat beans because you’ll fart ghosts?​
The story on National Day Calendar radio was that soldiers were chasing him and he came across a field of Fava beans but he was afraid to cross it. And the soldiers caught him and killed him.

FYI

Well I celebrated Bean Day with bean burgers and baked beans, and all is well with me!
Beans have never given me gas, I've eaten them all my life. I suffered from gas and bloating when I was a meat eater.

Gut biomes change with the type of food we eat. If he didn't eat beans regularly of course they'd bother him

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
Gut biomes change with the type of food we eat. If he didn't eat beans regularly of course they'd bother him

Some of the stories say that Pythagoras did eat beans. just not fava beans. I liked the story where he talked an ox into eating beans and the ox lived a long time.

The fave bean thing may actually have been true.

Here is something about it

favism, a hereditary disorder involving an allergic-like reaction to the broad, or fava, bean (Vicia faba). Susceptible persons may develop a blood disorder (hemolytic anemia) by eating the beans, or even by walking through a field where the plants are in flower.​
Maybe could explain why he wouldn't run through that field of Fava even with soldiers chasing him.

I don't think I've had fava/broad beans. Seems they taste similar to limas? Don't like those much
I tried jarred lupinis once and really disliked them. Wonder if if was that particular type? I don't really care for beans that are like chickpeas or limas, where they're smooth and dense rather than soft and creamy

Reactions: Emma JC
Fava beans are supposed to be the new rising star in the plant based sector. As an ingredient instead of soy or mung beans.
There is at least one plant based company using them as an egg replacement.

• Wow
I don't think I've had fava/broad beans. Seems they taste similar to limas? Don't like those much
I tried jarred lupinis once and really disliked them. Wonder if if was that particular type? I don't really care for beans that are like chickpeas or limas, where they're smooth and dense rather than soft and creamy

yah, I have always disliked lima beans too although I do love lupinis and haven't had them for a long time, should put them on the list.

I don't know if I have ever had fava/broad beans, hmmm. I will stay out of the fields, just in case.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

yah, I have always disliked lima beans too although I do love lupinis and haven't had them for a long time, should put them on the list.

I don't know if I have ever had fava/broad beans, hmmm. I will stay out of the fields, just in case.

Emma JC
We used to have succotash, which for us was corn and limas. I liked that combo as a kid.
How do you do lupinis? I got a jar from the discount store so unsure if it was just how they were cooked, but they're not common here at all.
I so miss years back when our Whole Foods had like 200 different bins of bulk beans to choose from--and I ignored so many :sigh:
Now I'm mad at myself for not going to the fabulous West Side market Cleveland has this weekend. I knew if I didn't write plans down I'd miss doing things! It just a really large inside market with stalls of allll manner of vendors, both produce and prepared foods. Really fun. I'll make a point to take a day off just for that-there are both Greek and Lebanese vendors with both spices and foods I'd like to see

I absolutely love lupini beans! They are usually too salty so I drain the liquid from the jar and then add plain water.

• Informative
Do you want me to move this thread into the Food section? :)
:)
I have mixed feelings about when "we" go off topic.
The thing that I like about it is that the more replies a post gets the longer it stays in the "new" posts section and the more it gets viewed.

How do you do lupinis? I got a jar from the discount store so unsure if it was just how they were cooked, but they're not common here at all.

I eat them out of the jar, no heating, just eat them like nuts - bite the edge slightly and pop the bean into your mouth from inside the skin. Maybe you ate the skin which may make them yucky?

Emma JC

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: silva and KLS52
I bought and cooked some dry fava beans within the last year or two. I didn't much care for them, although they didn't make me physically ill and I finished them. They just tasted... off, somehow. I'd eat them if I was served them. I'm wondering if there is a combination of herbs that would make them palatable?

I bought and cooked some dry fava beans within the last year or two. I didn't much care for them, although they didn't make me physically ill and I finished them. They just tasted... off, somehow. I'd eat them if I was served them. I'm wondering if there is a combination of herbs that would make them palatable?
What about the texture? I had a jar of cooked ones and disliked everything about them, but I think mostly the texture. I could be wrong, but think they had more of a firm texture, like maybe dense lima beans?
I want to try again, just because I never stop at once, but they are kinda pricey!

@silva I don't remember what their texture was like. I know canned beans sometimes seem to have been cooked differently than when I cook them, either on the stovetop or in my slow cooker. I can't remember seeing canned favas in any store, although I'm assuming my local health food co-op either has them or could special-order them for me.