Thrift Store Shopping

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
My daughter and I occasionally like to go thrift store shopping for fun on the weekends. We hit the jackpot Saturday. Turns out the store was having a "Christmas in July" special- everything was 50 % off. I scored a beautiful Rival double decker steamer in mint condition, a GE iron (our old dinosaur finally bit the dust),a very nice heating pad(looks like it was never used), a huge Pyrex mixing bowl, and a fancy cheese slicer which will work perfectly on a block of tofu. Grand total: $12.40! Love a good bargain!
Any thrift store fans our there? Tell us about your finds.

Ooh, good deals you got! :D I love thrift stores, and my daughter and I go together, too. :) There is a huge flea market near me, and they have tons of great stuff as well as a farmers market. My daughter bought a great pair of silver and turquoise earrings from the 1960's for $8, and I got this bike there several months ago for $40. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341886113242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341886113242.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 162
I love thrift stores but apparently I don't get to them when they have deals. Most stuff I see these days are knick knacks and clothes. We pretty much stopped shopping at Goodwill because they raised their prices so much. I just may not live in an area where the bigger (furniture, appliances, etc.) are the norm.

My father did luck out about 5 years ago or so at Goodwill (before they really raised the prices). He found an older, solid wood, in-need-of-refinishing executive style desk for $20. It's like 6 feet long by 3 feet deep. He snatched it up. Still haven't refinished it but it's a great desk!

I love thrift stores!! In fact I would say 3/4 of my work wardrobe came from either the Goodwill or a Hospice Thrift shop in the town next to me. When I started losing weight, there was no way I could afford new clothes and this pretty much started my "thrifty wardrobe." I have had really good luck finding clothes that are new or very nearly new. I look at the tags and you can tell if they have been washed several times or not at all. The Hospice store has 20% off on Wednesdays and since their clothes are only a buck... well... for 80 cents one can really stock up! Of course you have to spend time looking and trying things on as sizes are by no means standard.

I have also found other items such as a leather love seat I got before becoming a vegan. I buy books also and have found assorted other items from sporting goods to silverware. You can pretty much find ANYTHING at a thrift store!! :D

^^Yeah, a couple years ago I did practically all of my Xmas shopping at thrift stores - either buying books, or wood pieces that I could paint and spruce up. I even found this neat sandcastle statue type thing once, I don't know how they made it but it was coated in sand so it looks like it was right from the beach. My grandmother loved it.

Most of my clothes that aren't free t shirts came from thrift stores. I've also gotten some nice kitchen stuff. And they're great for costumes. :p

Reactions: sallyomally
Yep another thrift store lover here. I try to go every Wednesday or every other Wednesday when they have half off deals. Most of my clothes are from thrift stores or hand me downs. I've found some amazing deals.
We pretty much stopped shopping at Goodwill because they raised their prices so much.

Same here. I don't even bother stepping foot in there because they jacked up their prices so much over the years. I could and have found better deals on the clearance racks of most stores. I also noticed that they get discontinued merchandise from stores like Target and then try to sell it for twice as much as the sale price Target was selling it for. Not cool at all!! :no:

I shop at thrift stores once in a bit....I like to map out alot of the thrift stores here and make a day out of trying to stop at all of them.....ya never know what you are gonna find....one of my besties mark he loooooves thrift stores and shops there most weekends he has found many awesome things.

peace:)

Love thrift shopping!

We don't have Goodwill anymore in my town. It wasn't great anyway.

Luckily we have a fantastic PAWS thrift and a long established charity shop. Both clean with great prices and great finds. I prefer the all volunteer run shops. Those are where the best deals are.

I also love vintage linens and fabrics so I scour for those too.

I LOVE charity/thrift shops and buy nearly all my books and often pick up clothes which are virtually new for a fraction of the price.

Ooh, good deals you got! :D I love thrift stores, and my daughter and I go together, too. :) There is a huge flea market near me, and they have tons of great stuff as well as a farmers market. My daughter bought a great pair of silver and turquoise earrings from the 1960's for $8, and I got this bike there several months ago for $40. :)

I love that bike. So cute!

I have found a lot of great kitchen appliances at thrift stores. Ice cream makers, rice/veggie steamers, crock pots... barely used and really cheap.

Same here. I've gotten a barely used, still in the box coffee maker and George Forman grill.

I found that one of the best times to go thrift shopping is directly after Christmas. People get new gadgets, clothes, appliances, toys, etc. and donate all their old ones. Others will get doubles of things or get gifts they don't want and instead of returning them to a store they will just drop them off at thrift stores.

Reactions: sallyomally
At one point or another I've given everyone in my family sweaters for Christmas that I bought either at the Good Will or a thrift store.

I do most of my shopping at thrift stores! Just think of things people buy and rarely, or never get around to using. I'm trying to make the cute clothes you can find new in small sizes as my motivation for losing weight!

My best finds have been a pasta roller from Italy (for crackers), crepe pan, great shoes, and like new purses of canvas and faux leather.
You can always find those seen of TV things.
All my wood furniture has come from either thrift stores, or tree lawns on garbage day!

Reactions: thefadedone