Health Issues Think twice about drinking tap water

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
If you're drinking tap water, you're consuming plastic pollutants

Of 33 tap water samples from across the United States, 94 percent tested positive for the presence of plastic fibers, the same average for samples collected from Beirut, Lebanon.

Other sampled locations include the following, with their percentages for plastic fibers: Delhi, India (82 percent); Kampala, Uganda (81 percent); Jakarta, Indonesia (76 percent); Quito, Ecuador (75 percent); and Europe (72 percent).

Thank goodness our town water comes from a natural underground spring .

You could get a water filter just for drinking water, just work out what micron size to use , if it worries you .

My hope is that we make ourselves extinct before we take the rest of Earth's animals with us.

ETA: Yes, I am not in a cheerful, upbeat mood today. :p

Keep in mind that drinking unboiled tap water is good for the environment (lowers carbon footprint).

Boiling tap water means a fair amount of gas (or other heating source) causing global waming and possibly other bad effects.

Mineral water is not good for carbon footprint and pollution because of all the trucking around and space on supermarket shelves. The plastic bottles are not good for the environment either. Regular, large amonts of mineral water is needless environmental damage.

If you don't trust your water, you can, as I do, use a filter however keep in mind that a filter does not really address bacteria or viruses just some minerals/particulate matter. You can treat with iodine for bacteria/viruses (which could also be beneficial for vegans due to low iodine on a vegan diet). However iodine does leave an after taste and also there is such a thing as too much iodine - and putting iodine in ALL your tap water could mean you get too much. I have done some research on this if anyone's interested.

Cleveland water is very good, sometimes I detect a clorine smell so for drinking, esp the cats water, and the steel electric kettle (to minimize hard water deposits) I use a water pitcher filter.
Bottled water is such an horrific impact on the environment. If you want or need to further filter I would think a whole house osmosis system, or buying it in large containers from stores that have one, might be the best bet.
Is bottled water better than Cleveland's tap water? Not really.

Plastic pollution in the oceans and lakes is a terrible thing and comes from items most people don't even think about. So many face scrubs with microbeads never dissolve (why not sugar or salt scrub???) Polar fleece. The process of recycling all the plastic. All goes back to sea and is eaten by the sea life, slowly killing them> the plastic bottles of course, being a major contributor

Well, I've mentioned it before... I don't drink or cook with tap water, only purified. My family (Dad) has been refilling gallon jugs at our local Serv-A-Pure for the last 50 years. Of course, the jugs now are BPA-free. ;) I use that water for drinking, making coffee, and cooking (pasta, rice, couscous, lentils, anything that absorbs water gets the good stuff).... the only things I use tap water for are washing dishes & produce, doing laundry, hand-washing, and bathing. I honestly don't think I've consumed tap water in about 10 years.... LOL :)

Oh, and fluoride makes ya stupid, apparently. :dizzy: Fluoridating Water Supplies Keeps Us Dumb, Docile, and Sick

Water Filters | Water Purification | Deionized Water | Serv-A-Pure ---- Se requiere un control de seguridad

And if you're one of those who loves the taste of cilantro.... Cilantro: More Than An Herb, It Can Purify Water Too | TIME.com

Last edited: