Thier reaction to your veganism and how you respond

My friends will often make jokes along the lines of "the animal's suffering makes it taste better". I've played along so far...I think a lot of people use humor to deal with cognitive dissonance. If they're acknowledging out loud that animal suffering is an ingredient in their diet I think that's a positive thing and I'm not going to suck the fun out of the room in response to that.

I'd like to find a way to pivot from those kind of hit-and-run jokes to actually discussing veganism in a way that might change people's minds. I don't want to come off as combative, overly-serious, or self-righteous though...I'm probably the only vegan most of them know (I'm in the midwest where trucks, guns and meat are pillars of civilization) so I feel it's important to not play into negative stereotypes.

You get this more when you're passive. I'm VERY assertive and confrontational. I actually recommended that my JA neice could be helped by veganism. Her father is one of the people who speak to me regularly, and not because he's vegan, or my brother (he's not) but because he suspected I was right! My mom is flexitarian, she eats veggie burgers and drinks coconut milk but eats fish (sad face) ....but people respond best when you're assertive. My family is from West Virginia, they're not nice people but not necessarily from California where I've spent most of my adult life (which also approves veganism, which I sought out actively) ...yeah not everyone is Cheers...that songs welcomes a lot of people that would surprise you...but what might surprise you most is that it's not you....I'm lucky that I'm a welcomed weirdo...because that's exactly what I am.....I've always thought about people who are disabled severely, or overly passive...because no one like that ever gets an easy time...they get harder times than us rebels.

Do you think you would still be assertive if you have the power to change society for the better but it would involve loosing your own life? What I'm trying to say is if you actually pose a threat to the corrupt economy... would you still be assertive knowing that there is a very good chance you would be assassinated?

Are you an anti conformist?

I try to lead by example by running 10k daily, waking up early, having an abundance of energy and positive mood.

So I don't really get push back ... nobody can argue with results, and I find that people are more receptive seeing the results of a vegan lifestyle, than hearing the preaching.

I think that different approaches work for different people: I'm personally more receptive to health and long life discussions, other people would be more interested in animal welfare and environment, and that diversity is OK.

I live in central Texas where meat, guns, oversized vehicles, and 3,000 sq foot homes on 10 acres are common. Being vegan is a concept people don’t understand out here. I usually respond to “I don’t support ____.” Then leave it at that. If they continue to push the topic of being vegan. I simply say, “I guess I just value life on this planet more than other people.” There is alway a subject change after that. I use the same logic about fire arms and weapons of mass destruction.
I’m just looking forward to the day I can live out in the woods away from all of the inconsiderate.