The PDSA

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a shout out to this excellent charity. For anyone not familiar; http://www.pdsa.org.uk/about-us/pdsa-today/our-mission. The PDSA have various pet hospitals throughout the UK which provide free veterinary care for pets of people who are on certain benefits and can't afford private vets. They do charge fixed fees for preventative care including neuters and vaccines, but for all other treatments payment is entirely optional.

In times of recession, the numbers of animals given up to rescues or simply abandoned rises sharply. People lose their incomes and they think they can no longer care for their pets. The PDSA makes it possible for pets and owners to stay together. When I was in a very rough financial situation, having my cat with me was one of the only things that kept me going and stopped me sinking completely into despair. I would imagine for many unemployed people, and for many elderly or disabled people without large incomes, their situation is the same.

There will always be those who say that you shouldn't take on an animal (or have a baby) if you can't pay out of your own pocket. But generally people who use the PDSA adopted the animals when they were able to pay for them, and then fell on hard times. The PDSA are completely non-judgemental to their customers and do not push for donations - knowing that many people are not in a position to pay anything at all, and their pets would go without any medical attention if the owners were too embarrassed to take them to the PDSA.

I was there today with my mum (who was made redundant when she had three cats) and the remaining cat. He had dental surgery for gingivitis which probably would cost in the region of £400 privately. The staff were excellent and are providing great after-care too.

For a long time I have said that when I'm in a financial position to donate monthly to a charity, it would be this one. But then I usually forget about it when I'm thinking of charities, until I have an experience with them again and remember how fantastic they are. I can't imagine the scale of relief and comfort they bring to animals in this country who would otherwise suffer or burden over-burdened rescues. There's no real point to this thread but feel free to discuss the PDSA, other animal charities, share your experiences etc.

We used to take our cats for medical care to the PDSA as my Mum was on benefits. I know that my disabled friend uses them and Celia Hammond for her animals. They often offer a free or low-cost spay and neuter service which is a great idea. Celia Hammond spay and neuter feral cats too which is awesome.

I just found this on the PDSA website, the results of a study they did on 11,000 pet owners and this is what they found out about pet owners and their dogs::fp:

pc_24318.png

We used to take our cats for medical care to the PDSA as my Mum was on benefits. I know that my disabled friend uses them and Celia Hammond for her animals. They often offer a free or low-cost spay and neuter service which is a great idea. Celia Hammond spay and neuter feral cats too which is awesome.

I just found this on the PDSA website, the results of a study they did on 11,000 pet owners and this is what they found out about pet owners and their dogs::fp:

pc_24318.png

Depressing huh? They released similar reports for cats and rabbits too. Most pets in this country are not receiving the minimum recommended care standards, probably because most of them buy from breeders or pet shops who are interested in making money rather than in pet welfare.

What an awesome organization! I wish there was something like that here.

They really are great :)

When I took Molly to the vet when she was a puppy they gave me a leaflet about spaying/neutering and there was information about Frequently Asked Questions. One of the responses was that the male dogs do indeed stay male after neutering. I cannot believe people asked such a stupid question so much that it needed answering.:argh:

Its a great charity. I donated some items to my local shop and also donated some of my art to a raffle a girl was running on Facebook with all proceeds going to PDSA, she raised a little over £1200!

Not much to add except they're a great charity. You're right you never know what's around the corner, it's naive to think anybody will ever be in a position to say "I'm going to adopt a cat, and I know I will be able to pay for it for the next 15 years or so"... nobody can do that. Although it does stress the importance of things like pet insurance.

I regularly shop in a PDSA charity shop, and then in the case of books just as regularly donate them back! :)

Reactions: Lord Snot
Pet insurance can often be a losing game, I understand why people in steady jobs choose to risk not having it. Especially when you have a cute little kitten/puppy that you can't imagine as old and arthritic and riddled with gingivitis. And plus, pet insurance often does not cover dental work or hereditary conditions so if your pet ends up with the 'wrong' illness, the insurance is a complete waste of money. But yeah, I do have it for bunny. I just shopped around for a policy that covered dentals.

I was looking for a way to help them too. I'm not in a position yet to give cash donations but I was looking for a way to volunteer. They do have lots of opportunities near me but they require more hours than I can reasonably commit to, until I know how demanding my new job is going to be. I will keep them in mind :)

Reactions: SummerRain
I was looking for a way to help them too. I'm not in a position yet to give cash donations but I was looking for a way to volunteer. They do have lots of opportunities near me but they require more hours than I can reasonably commit to, until I know how demanding my new job is going to be. I will keep them in mind :)

Perhaps you could look at their charity shops? I don't know how the PDSA ones work, but one's I've helped in in the past I've been able to work exactly as many hours and days as I want. It seems less exciting than something directly related to animals, but I actually really enjoyed working in one when I did (it was an AGE UK one though), and money is really important. A lot of charities are struggling right now, and have a lot less than you think. Some big charities get a lot of money IN, but they do so much it barely covers their costs, so they don't have lots of money in the way people may think.

I don't think they had any positions directly with animals, I was looking at being one of their drivers who takes round those bags and then collects them. AFAIK there isn't a hospital near here but they do have a few charity shops in the high streets. One day, one day :D

Reactions: SummerRain
I was talking to a woman working in a charity shop and she said the shops are losing a lot of the donations as people are using Freecycle instead. Good for the environment but not for them I suppose.

I don't think they had any positions directly with animals, I was looking at being one of their drivers who takes round those bags and then collects them. AFAIK there isn't a hospital near here but they do have a few charity shops in the high streets. One day, one day :D

:) I found it much easier to find volunteer work in the smaller animal charities. Places like the PDSA/RSPCA/Dogs trust/etc you often needed to apply for specific positions, with specific hours and there were waiting lists, etc... but small local charities needed people, and were much more flexible. The place I ended up doing dog walking for, you could just turn up on whichever days you could do and walked for as long as you wanted. So yeah anyway sorry I am beginning to sound like some sort of volunteer recruitment adviser... :)

I was talking to a woman working in a charity shop and she said the shops are losing a lot of the donations as people are using Freecycle instead. Good for the environment but not for them I suppose.

:( that's a shame. Sometimes I am sorting out my clothes and I look at the good ones and think "I could sell these on ebay and make some money" so I can see how they loose out. I'm too lazy to do that though (plus I like to help out the charity).

A lot of people just treat charity shops as waste disposal too, the things people "donate" sometimes... things no body in their right mind would buy or sell.

I like the PDSA although I've never donated. If I am going to donate money nowadays I tend to donate it to the rescue charity I work with.

:) I found it much easier to find volunteer work in the smaller animal charities. Places like the PDSA/RSPCA/Dogs trust/etc you often needed to apply for specific positions, with specific hours and there were waiting lists, etc... but small local charities needed people, and were much more flexible. The place I ended up doing dog walking for, you could just turn up on whichever days you could do and walked for as long as you wanted. So yeah anyway sorry I am beginning to sound like some sort of volunteer recruitment adviser... :)

This.

Last summer I was trying to find volunteer work. It was impossible even just for charity shops. They all wanted references! One of the reasons I was trying to volunteer was because I didn't have any references and needed some. The Hope House charity shop was the worst. They wanted three (not two like the others) references from respectable people who had known you for more than 5 years (instead of 2 years like the others).
Whereas for the dog rescue charity that I work with (I work at a boarding kennels where the charity boards most of their dogs. So we look after the dogs and introduce prospective owners to the dogs and do the hand overs but it's all overseen by the charity and they sort out the home checking side etc) anybody can come volunteer to walk the dogs as long as they can get to the kennels. My boss will do a couple of walks with them just to see if they can actually walk dogs (sounds silly but there are people who can't walk dogs) and brief them on the usual procedures in the kennels and that's it.