The most vegan friendly towns in the world?

Trinity

YES!
I'd like to write a helpful article for vegans on vegan friendly towns/cities or places either in Britain or around the world. Does anyone here live in a vegan friendly town? Or have you visited one? I look fwd to hearing about it. Please do share...

Trinity
x

I live in the Los Angeles, California metropolitan area, specifically Santa Monica. The area is becoming more and more vegan-friendly, with lots of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants and health food stores here, some that have been around for decades and newer ones opening all the time. There are vegan bakeries here, too. :) I should also mention that the showroom for the online retailer Alternative Outfitters, which sells vegan clothing, shoes and accessories, is located here, in Pasadena.

Los Angeles, California metropolitan area, specifically Santa Monica
That sounds pretty awesome. My husband stayed in Santa Monica for a couple of days last year too and had no idea what he missed!
I travelled the west coast in 1997 (ages ago, I know) and I located quite a lot of vegan friendly places there, was quite surprised... I can only image how it has evolved in recent years.

Here are several U.S. cities I have either lived in or visited that are vegan-friendly:
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. There is a high-end vegan place called Veg that is fabulous. The owner/chef also ran the now-closed Horizons, which also was a great vegan place. Blackbird Pizzeria is all-vegan and fantastic for vegan comfort foods. They just made PETA's top 10 places for vegan buffalo wings. :) There is also a Chinese restaurant with a vegan menu, but I can't remember the name. I know it's in Philly's Chinatown section, though, and I used to go there all the time. :D

Other cities where I had no problems finding vegan food: Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Portland, Maine; New Haven, Conn.: and of course, New York City.
Small town: Northampton, Mass. It's a college town. I find that, in general, towns with colleges have more diverse food options, to go with a diverse population.

I used to live in Brighton, UK and it is extremely vegan friendly (and gay friendly and everything else friendly!). There are quite a few vegetarian restaurants, clothing and shoe shops. I didn't appreciate it fully when I lived there.

This is a bit O/T but I went out for dinner on Saturday night over here in France and we chose a pizzeria because Italian is normally pretty good for veg options. They had 3 'Vegetarian' pizzas on the menu, one which had tuna on it. I asked for a veg one without cheese...and it came with cheese on it anyway. They put mayo on my salad and butter on the garlic mushrooms -I had asked what they were cooked in and they said olive oil, but I could taste butter. Then I asked for 2 scoops of sorbet for pudding, one blackcurrant and one strawberry but they brought the blackcurrant with a dollop of regular strawberry ice-cream on top of it. Not a language issue -I am fluent in French. They just don't get it! I'll be interested to see if you find any vegan friendly towns in France.

I used to live in Brighton, UK and it is extremely vegan friendly (and gay friendly and everything else friendly!). There are quite a few vegetarian restaurants, clothing and shoe shops. I didn't appreciate it fully when I lived there.
:wave: Yey - I lived in Lewes, just up the road... and rather synchronistically I've JUST (literally a minute ago) a stall at the VegFest in Brighton for March.
Yes, Brighton is super vegan friendly indeed! It's top of my list - thanks for the confirmation.

I just (on Sunday) ate lunch at a restaurant in Culver City, California called Green Peas that is vegan-friendly. They use Daiya for vegan cheese and Gardein for the meat replacement. I had a lovely avocado kale salad with Gardein chicken. I saw their dinner menu posted and it included a grilled salmon entree, and underneath it said vegan version available. I asked how grilled salmon could be made vegan, and the girl said they use a soy meat replacement for the fish. That's a first for me and I'm thrilled that one restaurant will actually do that. This is not the only vegan/vegan-friendly restaurant in Culver City, either, so make a note of that. :yes:

hat's a first for me and I'm thrilled that one restaurant will actually do that. This is not the only vegan/vegan-friendly restaurant in Culver City, either, so make a note of that. :yes:
It really warms my heart to know that these places are really making the effort!

This is a bit O/T but I went out for dinner on Saturday night over here in France and we chose a pizzeria because Italian is normally pretty good for veg options. They had 3 'Vegetarian' pizzas on the menu, one which had tuna on it. I asked for a veg one without cheese...and it came with cheese on it anyway. They put mayo on my salad and butter on the garlic mushrooms -I had asked what they were cooked in and they said olive oil, but I could taste butter. Then I asked for 2 scoops of sorbet for pudding, one blackcurrant and one strawberry but they brought the blackcurrant with a dollop of regular strawberry ice-cream on top of it. Not a language issue -I am fluent in French. They just don't get it! I'll be interested to see if you find any vegan friendly towns in France.
Well, Paris has a number of veg*n restaurants, and I was able to find food for myself in the canteen of a company I visited. Well, I *think* it was vegan.

A couple of times I've had decent food at non-veg restaurants in Grenoble, but only after my host had instructed them in very much detail, I suspect.

Well, Paris has a number of veg*n restaurants, and I was able to find food for myself in the canteen of a company I visited. Well, I *think* it was vegan.
A couple of times I've had decent food at non-veg restaurants in Grenoble, but only after my host had instructed them in very much detail, I suspect
I'm sure most of the big cities have something but I don't always trust their definition of veg*n. There's a restaurant that calls itself vegetarian at Montauban (near me) but it has fish on the menu, so I can imagine that they might not be that meticulous about ingredients even in the dishes that appear to be meat-free.

I lived in Lewes, just up the road
I lived in Ditchling for a while too. Good luck with your stall at the VegFest. What are you selling?

I lived in Ditchling for a while too. Good luck with your stall at the VegFest. What are you selling?
Small world.
I published a recipe book called 'Trinity's Conscious Kitchen' so I'll be selling that. I am looking forward to creating a lovely display too. If you were still in Ditchling, you could have dropped by to say hello... I am really excited about doing festivals!

1609639_10152015129422108_755541262_n.png

I should say London is very vegan friendly too. My favorite restaurants are probably Manna, Loving Hut, Tibits and Mildreds.

Vegan London : Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants in London

Vegan London : Resources for Vegans in London: Vegan and Vegetarian restaurants

London Vegan Meetup (London, England) - Meetup

London Vegans

Yes, Brighton is lovely, when I have gone there for an overnight trip I have tried to eat at a few of the restaurants but I haven't tried them all yet.

Congratulations on having published a book -what an achievement. I followed a link to your site from your Happy Cow article and it looks fabulous.

Congratulations on having published a book -what an achievement.

Thank you for the kind words... yes, I have to pinch myself! I do vegan catering for retreats and everyone kept saying that I really should write a book - eventually it came to fruition. It's a real labour of love and absolute joy. When the first proof copy arrived at my door I swear, I have never in my life been soooo excited.

Small world.
I published a recipe book called 'Trinity's Conscious Kitchen' so I'll be selling that. I am looking forward to creating a lovely display too. If you were still in Ditchling, you could have dropped by to say hello... I am really excited about doing festivals!
Please post a link to your book if you sell it online too. :)

Back