US The media getting worse

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If you're an American who has followed the media on a regular basis, you've likely heard the name Bruce Jenner recently. Following people like Michael Sam and Johnny Manziel, he is the new media darling. If you're a quiet person who would appear to be more normal, the media usually ignores you. It doesn't appear to be about talent these days, and they're actually getting worse. Does Jenner really deserve this much attention?

If you're an American who has followed the media on a regular basis, you've likely heard the name Caitlyn Jenner recently. Following people like Michael Sam and Johnny Manziel, she is the new media darling. If you're a quiet person who would appear to be more normal, the media usually ignores you. It doesn't appear to be about talent these days, and they're actually getting worse. Does Jenner really deserve this much attention?

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: FortyTwo
Being transgender is completely normal. Also, her name is Caitlyn.

Jenner certainly deserves more attention than the Kardashians.

You are probably too young to remember, but Bruce Jenner made a huge splash as an Olympic athlete, and now Caitlyn has the capacity to make a huge difference in how transgendered individuals are perceived and treated in our society at large.

So, I don't begrudge Jenner the attention she is receiving. If she handles this well, she can make a lasting difference in the lives of transgendered individuals.

As far as the Kardashians and their ilk - all those people famous for nothing but being famous - ultimately, they are not of the media's making, but rather of the consumers who are hungry (for whatever reason that I can't understand and that leaves me wondering about the psychological and spiritual health of our society) for all the details of their not-so-private lives.

Fixed it for you.

Just what I was going to say!

Her preferred pronouns are Her/She. And being visibly transgender is important.

That being said, I (can't believe I'm saying this) kind of agree with you. Transgender women have a 1 in 12 murder rate, and are the victims of numerous hate crimes every single day, and the media says absolutely nothing about it. Now Jenner is publicly talking about her struggles with her gender identity, and instead of taking this as a learning moment, all the media wants to talk about is how sexy she is for her age.

Just what I was going to say!

Her preferred pronouns are Her/She. And being visibly transgender is important.

That being said, I (can't believe I'm saying this) kind of agree with you. Transgender women have a 1 in 12 murder rate, and are the victims of numerous hate crimes every single day, and the media says absolutely nothing about it. Now Jenner is publicly talking about her struggles with her gender identity, and instead of taking this as a learning moment, all the media wants to talk about is how sexy she is for her age.

I suppose at least the media is treating her the same way they treat all women :p

Reactions: ledboots
The media has always been crappy. The gross over-publicity that the Jenner situation has gotten just puts me off to the whole thing completely. It's really kind of a petty matter (like anything involving that 'family', I suppose).

Transgender women have a 1 in 12 murder rate, and are the victims of numerous hate crimes every single day, and the media says absolutely nothing about it.
Assuming this is true, it should be talked about more, but I feel talent should come first for all celebrities. I don't think I'd waste a penny on the media at this point even if I had money. It's become that bad.

According to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, 53.8 percent of anti-LGBT homicide victims in 2012 were transgender women, the majority of whom were people of color.

more

The overall suicide attempt rate for transgender people is 41 percent, according to the National Center for Transgender Equality’s groundbreaking report Injustice at Every Turn.

more

See, the thing about insisting that the media not talk about transgender people is that it confuses this with the notion that it shouldn't be a big deal in the media. Sure, someone being trans shouldn't be a big deal, but in our culture, it is. So the media is absolutely going to cover this story.

Kind of like the whole "I don't see race" thing being used to argue that race shouldn't be discussed at all. A raceblind society (or rather, one that respects the differences between all cultures equally) would be great, but that doesn't exist anywhere on Earth, so discussions of race and more diverse racial representation are crucial.

What's important is that these topics are discussed and presented in a progressive, rather than regressive, way. And Caitlyn Jenner's situation is actually being handled pretty well by the media, given how horrifically disrespectful it sometimes can be.

Jenner is an Olympian. You cannot say that she does not have talent.
They're not getting the current media attention for their talent. I enjoy watching the Olympics, so I have no problem with Jenner getting media attention several decades ago.

They're not getting the current media attention for their talent. I enjoy watching the Olympics, so I have no problem with Jenner getting media attention several decades ago.

And here we've found the issue. If rainforest likes something, it's worthy of of our collective time and interest. If he doesn't like it, it's below us and the media should not waste time on it.

Also, the Kardashian's main talent lies in being able to market themselves, and their media savvy-ness. Which is no small feat in a society with such a short attention span. Like them or not, they're good at it.

And here we've found the issue. If rainforest likes something, it's worthy of of our collective time and interest. If he doesn't like it, it's below us and the media should not waste time on it.

Took you long enough to figure it out... :rofl:

Also, the Kardashian's main talent lies in being able to market themselves, and their media savvy-ness. Which is no small feat in a society with such a short attention span. Like them or not, they're good at it.

Very true. I mean, I couldn't give two shits what they're up to, but they sure as hell are doing well for themselves.