The importance of legumes

Since I've been soaking my nuts, seeds and oatmeal I have felt absolutely great and I'm sure it's related.

Trinity, I would also like to find out more about your pâté recipes, but not if it's going to compromise your book of course! Shop-bought pâtés are disgusting and the homemade mushroom one I made had a dodgy texture.

That's a good idea. I've not yet posted there - will have to check it out...
I can't believe I didn't notice the link in your signature until SpottyGiraffe mentioned your book. Your recipes look so delicious, and creative! :) I'm happy to see that it doesn't seem like you use much oil in your recipes either from what I've seen poking around. (I'm pretty stubborn against using oil. I think flavor can come from spices and herbs, and fats are better gotten from things like seeds and nuts and avocados)

I'll pick up a copy of your book pretty soon! :D

I suppose she didn't want to mention supplements as that makes veg*nism look hard, but I think it should be discussed.....there are times when I just have not wanted to look a bean in the face....and I think lysine pills have been good for those times....I'm enjoying beans at the moment though.
Yeah, I don't know why some people are so anti-supplement. Many days I don't have time to cook or even thaw bean soup from the freezer. Or some days I just look at the bean soup in the freezer and think "that just doesn't sound good today." I keep a lysine supplement on hand, and I can tell now when I need to take it.

So how can I actually tell if I get enough protein?

You can have blood tests, but you can also have a normal total protein but be deficient in certain amino acids. So if you're really concerned ask for an amino acid profile. Lysine can be the one that's hardest for vegans to get enough of without paying some attention to it.

And yes, I'm that person who can't be bothered to figure out how to multiquote. Forgive me! :p

Reactions: KLS52
I suppose she didn't want to mention supplements as that makes veg*nism look hard, but I think it should be discussed.....there are times when I just have not wanted to look a bean in the face....and I think lysine pills have been good for those times....I'm enjoying beans at the moment though.
I still have "Diet For A Small Planet", by Frances Moore Lappe, with its infamous tables of amino acid content. Most (if not all) legumes are rich in lysine, whereas most grains lack it... but if I remember right, legumes are also rich in isoleucine, which is also lacking in grains as a rule.

Indian Summer wrote (my multiquoting is still a bit dodgy, although I've managed it on occasion- sorry): I think out of all the nuts, it's only peanuts that has a lot of lysine. There are other redeeming factors in some of the other nuts, but they do have a lot of fats too, so if you're trying to avoid that ....

I'm not sure about peanuts. They are a legume, oddly enough, but I remember their amino acid profile in DFASP was different from both most legumes and most nuts.

Thank you Shyvas -that link was brilliant. The protein requirements were really interesting (higher than I thought) and I also agree with the point that a lot of the good stuff is contained in quite highly calorific foods like nuts, so without being active it would actually be easy to eat excessive calories on a vegan diet.

Threads like this one make me realise how little I know. Glad I had split-pea soup for lunch!

Inspired by the sharing on this thread, I've spent the last month experimenting with bringing more beans and legumes into my diet. I wanted to share what I've found.

I've been a vegan for 20 years and not gotten too wrapped up in RDA's... instead opting for what I feel is a well balanced, healthy vegan diet, without too much number counting. I've naturally shied away from eating too many legumes and things because I don't tend to feel to right when I eat them. This thread got me wondering if I was missing out. I was curious, so over the last month I've upped my intake so that I am getting around the RDA of protein for someone of my age via beans, pulses, legumes.

My normal state of health is/was vibrant, alive and really healthy. Completely vegan enjoying lots of fresh organic vegetable (especially greens), fruits, nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, olives, quinoa, millet, rice etc. (including beans, peas or lentils in something a couple of times a week at most).

So after a month upping my legume intake, I have been feeling increasingly sluggish; lacking in energy. I feel heavy, like a lead weight, more bloated than ever!

So, after a month, I am going back to the way I ate before, getting most of my protein from seeds, nuts, quinoa etc. instead (including much less legumes). I've eaten that way for many years and experienced amazing health.

I felt to share, because I know that eating a vegan diet can be a bit confusing. Whilst eating legumes can be really beneficial for a lot of vegans, it's not necessarily the answer for everyone. We really do need to take care of what we eat if we want to be healthy. It also feels important to honour the fact that each person is unique and individual.

For some reason, I am certain that my body doesn't process legumes very well and it has a negative effect on my health if I pass a certain thresh hold of quantity. We have to learn to listen to our bodies... I believe that my body has guided me under no uncertain terms about what works for it's configuration. I wanted to share in case other people experience the same and feel that they HAVE to eat stuff that their body is rejecting. I can share from personal experience of eating vegan for half of my life.... with really good health.

On the other, I would also really recommend legumes for most people. I know that my husband and my son all thrive on beans & pulses. It feels an important part of their diet. I just wanted to share that even within a vegan diet, there are going to be some foods less suited to some people - even legumes.

I tend to agree with what you are saying. I eat a lot of beans/legumes as they tend to be the most convenient for getting the proper nutrients. I have been noticing a change (bad) in the way I've been feeling over the last year or so, and while my blood work always comes back with good results, I can't help feeling I'm on carb overload, albeit, supposed good carbs. When I switch it up and reduce the beans/legumes I do feel better, but I can't seem to keep it going for more than a few days. I know other factors come into play (age) and it's not just diet but it is interesting to hear you express this.

Reactions: Trinity
Sorry it didn't work out, Trinity. Science is one thing, but what you feel like obviously takes precedence.

It may be that it would take longer (but who knows how long?) for your body to adapt to the higher amount of proteins. Or maybe it won't.

Hopefully you are still getting enough protein in your diet. I guess if you feel good on a low-protein diet, then that counts for something. Of course, there is still the possibility that you may experience problems down the road.

If you like eating pills (who doesn't?!), that lysein amino acid that Blobbenstein talked about somewhere may be an option.

I felt to share, because I know that eating a vegan diet can be a bit confusing. Whilst eating legumes can be really beneficial for a lot of vegans, it's not necessarily the answer for everyone. We really do need to take care of what we eat if we want to be healthy. It also feels important to honour the fact that each person is unique and individual.

For some reason, I am certain that my body doesn't process legumes very well and it has a negative effect on my health if I pass a certain thresh hold of quantity.
I tend to agree with what you are saying. I eat a lot of beans/legumes as they tend to be the most convenient for getting the proper nutrients. I have been noticing a change (bad) in the way I've been feeling over the last year or so, and while my blood work always comes back with good results, I can't help feeling I'm on carb overload, albeit, supposed good carbs. When I switch it up and reduce the beans/legumes I do feel better, but I can't seem to keep it going for more than a few days. I know other factors come into play (age) and it's not just diet but it is interesting to hear you express this.

s.

I totally agree and sadly after having having switched to a strict vegetarian diet since the last 2 1/2 years, I also have a problem with pulses and too many carbs. I have encountered quite a lot of health problems and am now
adapting a new diet. I have to reduce carbs and eat more protein which isn't always easy as I have a hearty appetite.

I am listening to my body and am doing everything in my power to enjoy good health.

Hopefully you are still getting enough protein in your diet. I guess if you feel good on a low-protein diet, then that counts for something. Of course, there is still the possibility that you may experience problems down the road.

I'll keep watching and exploring but I am feeling much better easing up on the legumes already. Who knows? I mean, the people who decide how much protein you need base it on a pretty conventional diet. I eat a really healthy diet and do get a good amount of protein from plant fats (although not as high as the RDA would suggest I might need - but I do wonder where these figures come from).

I've had fun creating some new delicious dishes with chickpeas and things this past month, so it's been very productive too, even though it slugged me right down.

I should probably eat more legumes as well, it's just that preparing the dry ones takes so long, which incidentally also is the cheapest option.

Reactions: KLS52
I totally agree and sadly after having having switched to a strict vegetarian diet since the last 2 1/2 years, I also have a problem with pulses and too many carbs. I have encountered quite a lot of health problems and am now
adapting a new diet. I have to reduce carbs and eat more protein which isn't always easy as I have a hearty appetite.
I am listening to my body and am doing everything in my power to enjoy good health.

It's great to hear that you are listening to your body. I imagine its similar to me, it just becomes too draining not too listen. What foods are you finding that work for you?