The hunt for gelatin free sweets

robbiewatson.11

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello all!
I am desperately trying to find a type of British sweet called Dolly mixtures. I have been vegetarian for well over ten years now and they are the only thing I still crave. Unfortunately they all seem to contain beef gelatin. It's a long shot but does anyone know of a company that sells them or a website that specializes in gelatin free sweets?
Thanks very much!

I haven't had dolly mixture in a long long time. They are delicious. The only sweets I know of that are gelatin free are some of Panda's liquorice sweets. We do have some jelly sweets here that are vegan but I haven't tried them because anything that is labeled "vegan" costs twice as much.

Sadly both Barret's and Tesco's Dolly mixture contain gelatine. Which are the sweets that you crave ? Did you know that Rowntree's Jelly tots are vegan as they are similar to those in the DM sweets.
If you shop around all the major supermarkets including M&S have many vegan friendly sweets including gums and all the usual chewy ones.

I haven't had dolly mixture in a long long time. They are delicious. The only sweets I know of that are gelatin free are some of Panda's liquorice sweets. We do have some jelly sweets here that are vegan but I haven't tried them because anything that is labeled "vegan" costs twice as much.
Thanks for the reply! I just checked and they have a good selection but sadly no Dolly mixtures. Haha very true, at this point I wouldn't mind paying double!

Sadly both Barret's and Tesco's Dolly mixture contain gelatine. Which are the sweets that you crave ? Did you know that Rowntree's Jelly tots are vegan as they are similar to those in the DM sweets.
If you shop around all the major supermarkets including M&S have many vegan friendly sweets including gums and all the usual chewy ones.
Funnily enough it's actually the cube fondant ones, they're half white and half another colour usually. I used to leave the jelly ones haha. I'm not even sure they have the gelatin in but I'm guessing they use it to bind it all together?

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Funnily enough it's actually the cube fondant ones, they're half white and half another colour usually. I used to leave the jelly ones haha. I'm not even sure they have the gelatin in but I'm guessing they use it to bind it all together?

I see. I'm sure that they are the ones that contain gelatine. No other shop brands seem to make vegan Dolly Mixtures. Perhaps you could write to the stores and manufacturers and ask whether they could come up with a vegan version. There are more and more vegan sweets that are widely available.
I'm a hug fan of wine gums and now you can find vegan ones at M&S.

Hello all!
I am desperately trying to find a type of British sweet called Dolly mixtures. I have been vegetarian for well over ten years now and they are the only thing I still crave. Unfortunately they all seem to contain beef gelatin. It's a long shot but does anyone know of a company that sells them or a website that specializes in gelatin free sweets?
Thanks very much!
Ringtons Fruit Jellies don't have gelatin, they use Pectin.

Hello all!
Thanks very much!
Hi Robbie _ I do as I needed to order Gelatin free for a work colleague. Try Marlows Sweets hope that helps :)

Hello all!
Thanks very much!
Me too!! I’ve been looking for a vegan version of the exact same ones you are talking about for years, and people just keep referring me to other vegan sweets which aren’t at all the same thing! I wonder how hard it actually is (or isn’t) to make them vegan, as no one seems to have done it…