The Humble Apple

Is it Red Delicious? It's a beautiful-looking apple, and every time I've had one it's been crisp and juicy- but only the first bite is sweet- then it tastes very bland.

I don't remember the name, but it fits your description. They always seem so inviting ( and very shiny) and they never fail to disappoint.

Gah- I tried to post an article from Huffington Post that describes the Red Delicious apple and how it got the way it is, but the link didn't work for some reason so I deleted my original post. Let's try this:

Starkrimson® Red Delicious Apple from Stark Bro's

This might be an improved version of it, but evidently this variety is known to be beautiful and crisp, but not so tasty. The Huff Po article mentioned how, just as many varieties of tomatoes grown for grocery stores were bred to withstand being shipped long distances, and good taste was lost, Red Delicious was bred to be attractive- and most of its flavor went by the wayside in the process. (The writer said this type "sucks", which I think is a bit harsh- I do eat RDs every now and then.) The article also mentioned a personal fave of mine- Empire- and a variety I haven't tried yet but just picked up at the Farmers Market today: Winecrisp.

Reactions: Val
Gah- I tried to post an article from Huffington Post that describes the Red Delicious apple and how it got the way it is, but the link didn't work for some reason so I deleted my original post. Let's try this:

Starkrimson® Red Delicious Apple from Stark Bro's

This might be an improved version of it, but evidently this variety is known to be beautiful and crisp, but not so tasty. The Huff Po article mentioned how, just as many varieties of tomatoes grown for grocery stores were bred to withstand being shipped long distances, and good taste was lost, Red Delicious was bred to be attractive- and most of its flavor went by the wayside in the process. (The writer said this type "sucks", which I think is a bit harsh- I do eat RDs every now and then.) The article also mentioned a personal fave of mine- Empire- and a variety I haven't tried yet but just picked up at the Farmers Market today: Winecrisp.
This link works. :thanks: We also have a similar cultivar. But i don't like it, unfortunately.:shrug:

I think Red Delicious do suck! Hate them just a bit less than golden delicious

I did buy good organic gala apples from Trader Joes- a 2 pound bag and they're crisp and sweet and juicy :)
I guess I'll be getting there now :rolleyes:

I think Red Delicious do suck! Hate them just a bit less than golden delicious

I did buy good organic gala apples from Trader Joes- a 2 pound bag and they're crisp and sweet and juicy :)
I guess I'll be getting there now :rolleyes:
I loathe both red and golden delicious as well, for both the texture and the blandness.

Gah- I tried to post an article from Huffington Post that describes the Red Delicious apple and how it got the way it is, but the link didn't work for some reason so I deleted my original post. Let's try this:might be an improved version of it, but evidently this variety is known to be beautiful and crisp, but not so tasty. The Huff Po article mentioned how, just as many varieties of tomatoes grown for grocery stores were bred to withstand being shipped long distances, and good taste was lost, Red Delicious was bred to be attractive- and most of its flavor went by the wayside in the process.

I read a similar article a few years ago, stating that the Golden Delicious variety was highly marketed so that it could be exported to far away places. I really don't understand the reason except for perhaps exporting it to countries that have hot climates.

Over here it's the cheapest apple that is available, so I usually bulk buy it for cooking and baking.:(

I just had two gala apples and they were pretty decent. I’m always afraid with produce lately, especially fruit. It’s been tasteless more times than not. I even had a bad bunch of bananas last week. What’s up with that? I’ve never had a bad banana. They were dry and a weird texture. :fp:

I just had two gala apples and they were pretty decent. I’m always afraid with produce lately, especially fruit. It’s been tasteless more times than not. I even had a bad bunch of bananas last week. What’s up with that? I’ve never had a bad banana. They were dry and a weird texture. :fp:

I must say that fruit & vegetables did taste better in the old days. :pI was spoilt rotten as I lived in an area where I would pick them off trees. We also had a vegetable patch and grew our own salad, peas, potatoes, beans and carrots.

Having said that I was amazed by the taste of vegetables that Idyea (veg*an restaurant) serve in Brighton. They only buy locally produced veg from around the Brighton area.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I ordered organic from a place called Abel & Cole for a while but it worked out too expensive in the end. It was very nice, though. You can really taste the difference.

I have a nice Turkish supermarket near me and the fruit and veg is lovely from there. Supermarket fruit and veg from Tesco, Ocado etc... is quite hit and miss, I find.

I went to the Turkish place this weekend and bought avocado, fresh coriander, limes and a honey pomelo. The avocado was perfect, much better than the hard one I got from the supermarket recently!

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I ordered organic from a place called Abel & Cole for a while but it worked out too expensive in the end. It was very nice, though. You can really taste the difference.

I have a nice Turkish supermarket near me and the fruit and veg is lovely from there. Supermarket fruit and veg from Tesco, Ocado etc... is quite hit and miss, I find.

I went to the Turkish place this weekend and bought avocado, fresh coriander, limes and a honey pomelo. The avocado was perfect, much better than the hard one I got from the supermarket recently!

The avocados that I bought from Morrison's last Summer, were just perfect.

Reactions: Val
Even the avocados haven’t been good lately. At least half the time they have brown spots inside and thready fibers. I just don’t get it. :no:

I feel like I just throw my money away at the supermarket. :(