Attachments

• goop-food-Apple_Guide-001-1.jpg
    goop-food-Apple_Guide-001-1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 48
  • goop-food-Apple_Guide-001-1.jpg
    goop-food-Apple_Guide-001-1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
I just bought some organic galas! I wish I knew why so often organic apples don't taste as good to me, I know they're one of the foods to buy organic. I usually eat my fill from picking them straight from the orchards!
I often take an apple and PB for breakfast. I like them with cabbage and curry. I'll chop one up and micro for a few seconds to add to cold oats with water and cinnamon

I just bought some organic galas! I wish I knew why so often organic apples don't taste as good to me, I know they're one of the foods to buy organic. I usually eat my fill from picking them straight from the orchards!
I often take an apple and PB for breakfast. I like them with cabbage and curry. I'll chop one up and micro for a few seconds to add to cold oats with water and cinnamon

Same here. I also like to make butternut squash and apple soup.

I'm going to make a slaw for lunch with white cabbage, grated apple and lots of seeds ; pumpkin, sunflower & linseed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
The apple is so versatile and delicious. I love apples with peanut butter as well. I really only eat them in the fall and early winter. I find that apples that aren't local are bland and lose their crispness. Granny Smiths seem to be the exception, so I will buy those even out of season. I love apple pie, baked apples with cinnamon and a casserole made with butternut squash and apples. Apples are great in salads as well. I have apple pie filling in my freezer, enough for two pies.

Reactions: Val and shyvas
The apple is so versatile and delicious. I love apples with peanut butter as well. I really only eat them in the fall and early winter. I find that apples that aren't local are bland and lose their crispness. Granny Smiths seem to be the exception, so I will buy those even out of season. I love apple pie, baked apples with cinnamon and a casserole made with butternut squash and apples. Apples are great in salads as well. I have apple pie filling in my freezer, enough for two pies.

I agree and that's were I picked up the tip. ;)

Reactions: PTree15
My new thing is apples with hummus...it’s so good!

Reactions: Val
Granny Smiths are my favourite too.:lick:

Reactions: PTree15
My favourite are Cox's orange pippin ( the best apple in the world) and Pink Lady. :yes: I'm not too keen on golden delicious or
Granny Smith. I really dislike those red apples and I don't remember the name.:(

Cox's Orange Pippin - Wikipedia
We have a cultivar which is very similar to that one on the picture. No one knows its name, but it looks somewhat like Norfolk Pippin. :D

Last edited:
P.S... Btw, Granny Smith is the only one of my 3 favourite cultivars.
The other two:
1) "Belyi naliv" ("White ripened"). Its official name is Papirovka. We have a few trees on our summer cottage plot. Russians adore this cultivar.
Papirovka - Wikipedia

2) But this one is the explosion!
"Champagne apples". They don't grow in northern hemisphere, but we were devouring tons of them when we were staying at our Armenian friends' place at the Black sea shore. They also grow in Abkhazia, Osetia and Georgia. Uncle Virab used to climb up the trees of champagne apples and gather crops himself from their plot which actually was a side of a mountain! I was "morally obligated" to pick them up from the ground.:p Eeeh... those were the good times...

Reactions: Tom L. and Amy SF
I was bought up in the Garden of England and back in those day, the county was full of fruit orchards including wild ones. I remember when we went out for walks in the countryside, being able to just pick an apple or a plum from a tree when we wanted a snack.
The fruit was abundant and tasted like nothing you can imagine. Apples were crisp and the juice would run down your cheek. We used to pick baskets of apples and brambles and come home to make some kind of delicious pudding and always bottles of bramble juice.
I do remember some varieties like The Beauty of kent, the Flower of Kent and the Bramble apple. Only local markets and producers sell these varieties and supermarkets never offer local produce. It's such a shame that most people do not bother to shop around and discover their local heritage.

Varieties | Kent Orchards For Everyone

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
apple crumbles.jpg

I made some apple crumble to take over to a friends for dessert. I made a low carb version by
adding ground almonds to ww flour and adding sweetener.
It's a simple dessert but always a favourite.

Attachments

• low carb apple crumble 1.jpg
    low carb apple crumble 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
From @shyvas 's post, which started this thread:
Thank goodness then for all the projects around the country to save out orchards and our apples. The national Apple Collection at Brogdale Horticultural Trust in Faversham has the most comprehensive authenticated collection of varieties in the World with almost 2,500 varieties and is well worth a visit.

WHOA! I was just at my local farmer's market and bought some apples (Idared and Blondee) from a favorite farm/vendor which has over 30 kinds. I recently started a list of all the different kinds I've tried, but I guess even their impressive collection of different varieties only scratches the surface. Some of those lesser-known heirloom varieties really do stand out, but maybe it's also that they're fresher compared to the ones at the supermarket which sometimes have been shipped from the opposite coast. Maybe my next obsessive/compulsive project will be to rate them all... :p

.... I really dislike those red apples and I don't remember the name.:(....
Is it Red Delicious? It's a beautiful-looking apple, and every time I've had one it's been crisp and juicy- but only the first bite is sweet- then it tastes very bland.

P.S... Btw, Granny Smith is the only one of my 3 favourite cultivars.
The other two:
1) "Belyi naliv" ("White ripened"). Its official name is Papirovka. We have a few trees on our summer cottage plot. Russians adore this cultivar...............

...........2) But this one is the explosion!.........................
"Champagne apples". They don't grow in northern hemisphere, but we were devouring tons of them when we were staying at our Armenian friends' place at the Black sea shore. They also grow in Abkhazia, Osetia and Georgia. Uncle Virab used to climb up the trees of champagne apples and gather crops himself from their plot which actually was a side of a mountain! I was "morally obligated" to pick them up from the ground.:p Eeeh... those were the good times...
Those Champagne apples look amazing! (I didn't quote your whole posts)

Reactions: Val
Red and yellow 'delicious' apples are the only two I can't stand! :down:

But really, why are store bought organic apples never very good? Usually mealy textured.
When I go picking from local orchards they aren't certified organic,but they tell me they don't spray. Those are great!

I’ve had way too much bad/tasteless fruit the last 2-3 years. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas