The Great Vegetable Protein Debate

Which is you favorite vegetable protein?

• Tofu

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Tempeh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seitan

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I hate them all. Just give me rice and beans, please.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
I couldn't really vote since I don't know what tempeh and seitan taste like. I'm sure I'd tried both of them at various vegan restaurants but I didn't know what I was eating (except that it was vegan). Tofu is okay but I don't cook with it anymore, I'd rather buy a pre-prepared mock meat or just have vegetables.

I voted tofu but for me it's homemade beans. I only eat tofu about once a month, if that, tempeh once a year when I make Isa Chandra's crab cakes for a family holiday buffet and seitan not at all. I pretty much just eat a lot of raw and lightly steamed veg with a helping of beans twice a day.

Reactions: thefadedone
The essential amino acids are the same, and that's what counts, or am I missing something?
I believe there is some evidence that animal proteins can have some harmful effects. They do typically provide all the essential amino acids, but I think the problem isn't lack of any nutrient, it's the presence or amounts of harmful substances.

I want more okara!
Why isn't that tender, ground soybean stuff more popular? I made soymilk from scratch before, and the okara was well worth doing it again!
Made wonderful Old Bay patties ("crab" cakes). They had the best texture!
Am I missing something? I would think okara would be very popular, instead of unwelcome additions to cat and dog food!

Hello Thorham! Glad you're here!
I didn't recognize you without your pixals ;)

voted tofu, which is one of my main staples that gets eaten at least every other/few days.
tempeh would be my second choice...it's similar to tofu in that it's pretty much a bland slate and depends very much on how you prepare and season it.

I love seitan. I make my own because I don't like the taste of the store-bought. Beans are second and tofu would be third. Quinoa is also great for protein, but I have to be in the mood for it. I don't like tempeh that much. I think it's a texture thing.

Silva, I have never tried okara, but it sounds like something I might like. I make Old Bay patties, but I use zucchini. They are awesome :D

How are the zucchini patties made?
Recipe?
Here ya go:
Zucchini cakes:

Ingredients:
2 cups grated zucchini or yellow summer squash
1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs (I've also used Panko and they came out fine)
1 beaten egg (or equivalent egg replacer)
2 TBS melted margarine (I use Earth Balance)
2.5 to 3 TBS of Old Bay, or however much you want to taste. Three is a bit too spice for me; I usually do 2
4 TBS flour
1 small onion finely chopped

Mix all ingredients together. Shape into patties (you may need more breadcrumbs if the mix is too wet).
Fry in a mixture of oil/margarine or broil until they start to brown lightly. Turn once. Drain on paper towels (or not :D. I never do).