The Great Vegetable Protein Debate

Which is you favorite vegetable protein?

• Tofu

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Tempeh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seitan

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I hate them all. Just give me rice and beans, please.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
**Mods** - Please correct my spelling in the title. Thanks!

So let's cut to the chase and get this settled once and for all.

Which is you favorite vegetable protein, and why?

My vote is for tofu, with seitan being a close second. Tempe, just has a odd taste that doesn't appeal to me.
And of course, seitan is essentially boiled flour..and simple carbs make your triglycerides shoot up...

I dont 'hate them all' but I prefer beans and lentils etc.
I try to avoid eating too much Soya as I read its an accelerant for female cancers and I have a big family history of them.

I guess I would choose tofu. It's been 8 years and I have to admit I still have a problem trying not to worry about "where I'm going to get my protein from". If I'm having a bad/lazy week, I'll have a protein shake in the morning when I get up, just to make sure I stay on top of it. Using chocolate soymilk gives it an extra protein boost, too.

I hate that most of what I like is high carb...even beans and legumes are carb-y, albeit "good" carbs. I really like seitan but only if I make it myself, and that takes some ambition on my part. I don't like the pre-made seitan from the grocery stores...too soy sauce tasting for my liking.

I adore well-cooked tofu and would be happy to eat it every day.

My doctors have told me that tofu is ok, and it's mainly soy protein isolates that increase cancer risk, so I try to avoid mock meats and processed foods with added protein now and have tofu instead.

I still feel better avoiding eating too much.

Some Doctors say that meat and dairy are healthy so Id tend to be a little wary of what they say personally.

I really like the taste of seitan, esp. in Mexican food, but nutritionally I believe tofu provides a higher ratio of the rarer essential amino acids, so if I had to choose only one I would go with tofu. (Other beans are good too in this respect.)

It's a close call between seitan and tofu for me. Tempeh isn't even on my list of edible foods.

Seitan, although I like tofu too...
I dislike tempeh
edit: Actually my favorite protein source is veggie meats.

Reactions: thefadedone
Tempeh is good when I have it out. The Shoreline Diner makes an awesome tempeh Reuben. I've tried to make it several times but it never came out good. I even bought liquid smoke to make tempeh bacon buy it was blegh.

I thought I disliked tempeh until I had it cooked and prepared well. And seitan is nice because it has such a high % of protein compared anything else I can think of.

Still going with tofu though. I eat it and enjoy it the most out of the three.

The only times I've had tempeh is at a local sandwich shop that offers it on some of their veggie sandwiches. I've enjoyed it there, but it was smothered in hot pizza or BBQ sauce.

I use lentils, chickpeas and quinoa mostly, and sometimes beans. I have tofu occasionally. I would love to have it more but I have a bit of an intolerance to it so cant eat it a lot.

I vote tofu as my favorite, but really get the majority of protein from beans.

If you haven't checked out this site already, now's a good time. Lots of new info on how plant protein is more beneficial.
http://nutritionfacts.org/

I vote tofu as my favorite, but really get the majority of protein from beans.

If you haven't checked out this site already, now's a good time. Lots of new info on how plant protein is more beneficial.
http://nutritionfacts.org/

That was a really interesting read (apparently 3-5 servings per days is beneficial) concerning soya. I'm adding the site to my 'favourites'.

Thank you for posting.:)