The Everything Turmeric Thread

So I combined pepper and turmeric in a salt shaker (4:1 ratio) a while back for adding to my foods. Recently I realized that a couple of shakes isn't very much so I did the same thing in a small jar and put a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon in the jar. I'm thinking of adding at least 1/8 to my morning oatmeal. maybe more - depending on taste.

That site addresses using 2 teasp of tumeric as is,then later brings up adding black pepper, which increases absorption up to 2000%, but doesn't change the dosing!
Dr Greger advises 1/4 teasp daily (mixed with black pepper). I make capsules as I despise the taste:

That site addresses using 2 teasp of tumeric as is,then later brings up adding black pepper, which increases absorption up to 2000%, but doesn't change the dosing!
Dr Greger advises 1/4 teasp daily (mixed with black pepper). I make capsules as I despise the taste:
I'll try 1/8 tsp of my mixture in oatmeal tomorrow. I don't have any issues with the taste. May try 1/4 the next day.
I made some soup yesterday and used my shaker to add till I could taste it. but not sure how much that was. so I like this jar and tsp technique.

I actually eat a lot of tumeric, maybe I can help. I love curry, whether a vegetable mix or tai rice pasta. Mango juice and sweet vegetables blend well blend well the bitterness tumeric has, tumeric is also good with potatoes. It helps to mix it with ginger to balance flavors too
I'm neutral on curry. so I rarely make a curry dish. but I think I will try to add at least one to my repertoire. Can you recommend one? Just the name would be fine - I can google the recipe.

I do the same and put it on oatmeal, my beans on toast and occasionally potatoes etc

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I also sprinkle it into my soups, stews, etc.
I think my taste buds have fully recovered from the radiation. however, I never used salt or pepper to season my food. but I started when I could hardly tastes anything. but I have kept on doing it. not sure why. maybe I have developed a taste for salt and pepper.
But I really am warming up to this jar and teaspoon technique. not sure how much is in a sprinkle. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
Can you recommend one?

Wow, I love East Indian cuisine. I know most East Indian tables will have some version of dal on them. Most East Indian's consider dal the ultimate comfort food. I most certainly do, myself. I love it, and it's a good vegan curry to start with. You can make this as spicy as you desire.

The spices required may not be in your kitchen at the moment, but they are worth investing in. Most Walmart's here have a really good East Indian section. Don't skip any of these spices. It truly makes the dish amazing. They are not as hot as they look. lol. Seriously, even the dried chili peppers look hotter than they are. Furthermore, they do add a wonderful flavour to the dal.

Here's a couple video's from Rainbow Plant Life and one from Bumbi. I suggest watching a few different takes on the recipe. There's many different variations of it. I usually eat mine with homemade naan or some sort of flatbread. It's great on rice too. Check out Curries with Bumbi's video as well. Her channel isn't completely vegetarian, but the one's that are vegan are awesome. Her channel is one of my favorite East Indian channels.

Glad to have read lentil curry! I read Nishas recipe--I have her IP book from library now and made it, with lots of changes. It's so good!
I pita bread while it was cooking and I've having wonderful meal!
No tumeric,but I did use a Tblsp curry powder, which has some, so, relevant :laughing:

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I'm neutral on curry. so I rarely make a curry dish. but I think I will try to add at least one to my repertoire. Can you recommend one? Just the name would be fine - I can google the recipe.
Lentil curry, and tai masamam curry are my favorites, all curries are great and flavorful. I tweaked the original recipe to make it vegan, for the Tai curry i use mango juice, coconut oil, and coconut milk, add a generous amount of curry powder, tumeric, ginger, and fresh ginger, and chilies to taste. Use sweet vegetables/ fruits like carrot, pineapple, sweet peas, and cauliflower. Make it you own : )

I tried 1/4 tsp of my mixture today - it was a bit too strong. The pepper was a bit overwhelming. it wasn't bad but I think I'll go back to 1/8.
I have a few sets of measuring spoons - and only one set included a 1/8. So I can't dedicate a spoon to the jar like I can for 1/4/. Probably can fix that next time I go shopping.

Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
I didn't know about black pepper enhancing the absorption of turmeric's beneficial compounds. I love the way turmeric looks- that deep, rich yellow is amazing when it's added to rice, even though I'm usually oblivious to making my food look good. Maybe my turmeric is stale or something. It doesn't seem to have much of a taste.

And that reminds me... I think almost all herbs last longer if they're not ground: it's best to grind them right before adding them to a dish. But I've never seen whole turmeric root for sale. (I'm pretty sure it's the root, anyway).

An aside: I often hear an infomercial on the radio about the health benefits of turmeric and other herbal preparations they're selling. But they constantly refer to it as "toomeric", and it annoys the mess out of me.

• Agree
Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
An aside: I often hear an infomercial on the radio about the health benefits of turmeric and other herbal preparations they're selling. But they constantly refer to it as "toomeric", and it annoys the mess out of me.
If it wasn't for my speed checker I would always be spelling turmeric as Tumereric - and pronouncing it that way too.

• Haha
I didn't know about black pepper enhancing the absorption of turmeric's beneficial compounds. I love the way turmeric looks- that deep, rich yellow is amazing when it's added to rice, even though I'm usually oblivious to making my food look good. Maybe my turmeric is stale or something. It doesn't seem to have much of a taste.

And that reminds me... I think almost all herbs last longer if they're not ground: it's best to grind them right before adding them to a dish. But I've never seen whole turmeric root for sale. (I'm pretty sure it's the root, anyway).

tur·mr·uhk
I'm guilty of the toomeric :fp:
Why do I care, I hate the stuff :rofl:
Used to use it when I went veg as a teen--I used it a lot, along with cumin seeds. Both taste just dirty to me now, though I can use cumin a bit.
I find the fresh root in all Indian groceries, as well as the larger grocery stores, in the fridge section with things like cut fruits, or bean sprouts. Super orange root, gnarly.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
"Toomeric" IS a lot easier to say. Maybe they should make it easier on all of us, bow to the inevitable, and change the name.

I'm all out of it right now. The next time I get some, I think I'll taste a little bit of the powder (or the fresh root, whichever I get). I have to admit it's a lot cheaper than saffron (which also gives an amazing color- but when I bought some and tasted a very tiny bit, I couldn't discern what its taste was, even though Anna Thomas once wrote "Only Saffron tastes like Saffron!" in one of her "Vegetarian Epicure" books. Maybe it has to be cooked a bit to bring out its flavor :iiam:).

Last edited:
  • Friendly
"Toomeric" IS a lot easier to say. Maybe they should make it easier on all of us, bow to the inevitable, and change the name.

I'm all out of it right now. The next time I get some, I think I'll taste a little bit of the powder (or the fresh root, whichever I get). I have to admit it's a lot cheaper than saffron (which also gives an amazing color- but when I bought some and tasted a very tiny bit, I couldn't discern what its taste was, even though Anna Thomas once wrote "Only Saffron tastes like Saffron!" in one of her "Vegetarian Epicure" books. Maybe it has to be cooked a bit to bring out its flavor :iiam:).
I had saffron something years back and was so looking forward to it--I can't remember the taste, only that I was disappointed

I know people who say "tu-mar-ick", I really don't like that!
My son corrects me, of course he knows how to say it 🙄

Anyway, I do swear by tumerics benefits! I bought a pound bag of Terrasoul from amazon and keep sealed in fridge, with a jar mixed w/pepper I keep out to fill caps

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
Anyway, I do swear by tumerics benefits! I bought a pound bag of Terrasoul from amazon and keep sealed in fridge, with a jar mixed w/pepper I keep out to fill caps

How much do you put in each cap?

How much do you put in each cap?
The caps are 00 size and vegan. they hold 1/4 teasp
they make capsule filler machines but I find it easy to dip the cap half in the jar with tweezers. I do it about once a week
I take one or two a day
I think I'll get the larger 000 next
I used my kitchen scale to determine the weight of the 00 being 1/4 teas by comparing a measured 1/4 teasp of tumeric with the filled cap minus the cap weight

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lou