The Everything Turmeric Thread

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I've been told to include Turmeric in my daily meal plan. Dr. Gregar makes a big deal out of it too.
I've been adding about 1/4 tsp with a dash of pepper to my morning smoothies. but I am doubtful that such a small amount of can do anything or (much of anything). So I looked it up and found this website. With the accompanying video. The woman in the video is an RD but her cuteness factor is a bit over the top.

Anyway, maybe the biggest take-a-way is that the "recommended Daily dosage" is 500 to 1000 mg a day. that is between 2 and 4 teaspoons a day. My little quarter tsp a day hardly puts a dent in this.
-https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/turmeric-anti-inflammatory-dosage/

A disappointment is that I found that all the recipes that include turmeric only call for a quarter tsp per serving. For example,
- Healthy recipes for zucchini noodles | Well+Good

The other big take-a-way from my little research project is that for the most part turmeric has been well researched and its benefits well documented.
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

So, in conclusion, I need to try to get more turmeric in my diet. Here are a bunch of recipes from WellAndGood
and some more from OneGreenPlanet

So I've been told to include Turmeric in my daily meal plan. Dr. Gregar makes a big deal out of it too.
I've been adding about 1/4 tsp with a dash of pepper to my morning smoothies. but I am doubtful that such a small amount of can do anything or (much of anything). So I looked it up and found this website. With the accompanying video. The woman in the video is an RD but her cuteness factor is a bit over the top.

Anyway, maybe the biggest take-a-way is that the "recommended Daily dosage" is 500 to 1000 mg a day. that is between 2 and 4 teaspoons a day. My little quarter tsp a day hardly puts a dent in this.

A disappointment is that I found that all the recipes that include turmeric only call for a quarter tsp per serving. For example,

The other big take-a-way from my little research project is that for the most part turmeric has been well researched and its benefits well documented.

So, in conclusion, I need to try to get more turmeric in my diet. Here are a bunch of recipes from WellAndGood

Dr Greger is my standard, and always updates his findings when they change.
I take 1/4 teasp every morning, and it helps my joint pain. I sometimes have it in food too, but not much
If you want to add-- just add more- don't adhere to recipes. Nothing bad about having a bit more, but a 1/4 teasp is the recommended amount.

Do the "500 to 1,000 milligrams of curcuminoids per day" alone, or with the piperine from black pepper added, which increases absorption by 2000%?
That would change the equation!

I premix my ground turmeric with ground pepper in a shaky container 1/1 and then I just put it on lots of things and in lots of things. I would guess that it would equal about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of turmeric on average in a day - it is would be far too expensive to eat 2-4 tsp per day as you would need equal pepper and seems like way overkill to me.

Do be careful not to buy "cheap" turmeric as lead is added to it, in some countries, in order to make it appear more yellow.

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
yup a shaky container is like what spices come in or salt etc - I mix them half and half - so equal amounts of each, not a tad a dash or a shake

Emma JC

Turmeric is really nice. For some reason, I can't really taste it, but the smell is amazing. Nice to know that it has health benefits too.
I add it to rice and also to sauces.

Turmeric is really nice. For some reason, I can't really taste it, but the smell is amazing. Nice to know that it has health benefits too.
I add it to rice and also to sauces.
That is amazing! It's so crazy, and annoying, how differently people taste and smell, and why I find it silly when people say they're transitioning, give some recipes!
I taste cilantro the same way I taste detergent. I found that by accident, I used to send food back with a whisper that they must have a problem with the dishwasher. Ruined many many foods for me. I know people who can eat cilantro by the bunch
Tumeric tastes like moldy sawdust, and smells that way to me too! I can at least eat it mixed in curry powder, and chug it down every morning, because it's so good to me---I used to like it though! As a teenager I was veg and would make tumeric on rice, and even use cumin seeds, which I also now dislike
I've done Marys Mini which a diet of a very bland starchy veg for 2 weeks that's supposed to dull your tastes and prepare you to eat a wfpb diet Mary McDougall. It helped for a while, then things just went back to normal for me
I don't feel it makes me what they term super taster, but I certainly can pick out the stupid "hiddden veggies" people say I won't taste! :dismay:

That is amazing! It's so crazy, and annoying, how differently people taste and smell, and why I find it silly when people say they're transitioning, give some recipes!
I taste cilantro the same way I taste detergent. I found that by accident, I used to send food back with a whisper that they must have a problem with the dishwasher. Ruined many many foods for me. I know people who can eat cilantro by the bunch
Tumeric tastes like moldy sawdust, and smells that way to me too! I can at least eat it mixed in curry powder, and chug it down every morning, because it's so good to me---I used to like it though! As a teenager I was veg and would make tumeric on rice, and even use cumin seeds, which I also now dislike
I've done Marys Mini which a diet of a very bland starchy veg for 2 weeks that's supposed to dull your tastes and prepare you to eat a wfpb diet Mary McDougall. It helped for a while, then things just went back to normal for me
I don't feel it makes me what they term super taster, but I certainly can pick out the stupid "hiddden veggies" people say I won't taste! :dismay:
That's strange! I don't know what to say...
To me, it smells sweet. Reminds me of that organic liquorice tea I used to drink.
But, of course, blended with other spices and peanut butter or coconut oil, the smell isn't that distinguished, it just enriches and sweetens the aroma.

It's just that different for everybody. Kinda like music taste? It can change over time, but there are just some music you'll never learn to like?

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and silva
I think turmeric has a weird taste too. I don't mind it in golden milk as the maple syrup disguises the taste.

I was listening to a podcast recently with two British Indian doctors and the woman said she grew up in a veggie/hippy household and her parents were convinced turmeric was the cure for everything! :laughing:

• Haha

Hi S,
Over the years I’ve followed promotions of turmeric, most recently expressed in Chris Beats Cancer, who supports turmeric supplements. I feel most confident in applying information I heard in a dharma talk several years ago: turmeric is best absorbed when prepared in a curry with black pepper. I use organic ground turmeric and prepare cooked sauces and dressings with it. I love the taste and believe enjoying
turmeric in healthy vegan meals is key to
absorbing it’s goodness...

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Can one overdo it? It's quite a difference between 1/4 of a teaspoon and 4 teaspoons.
I'm guessing the article linked which suggested 4 teaspoons was referring to tumeric on it's own. Dr Greger recommends 1/4 teasp, but, enhanced with a pinch of black pepper to boost it's properties 2000%
I'm not a fan of the taste, in fact I chug it down in water rather than spoil my food!

So I combined pepper and turmeric in a salt shaker (4:1 ratio) a while back for adding to my foods. Recently I realized that a couple of shakes isn't very much so I did the same thing in a small jar and put a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon in the jar. I'm thinking of adding at least 1/8 to my morning oatmeal. maybe more - depending on taste.

So I combined pepper and turmeric in a salt shaker (4:1 ratio) a while back for adding to my foods. Recently I realized that a couple of shakes isn't very much so I did the same thing in a small jar and put a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon in the jar. I'm thinking of adding at least 1/8 to my morning oatmeal. maybe more - depending on taste.

I do the same and put it on oatmeal, my beans on toast and occasionally potatoes etc

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I actually eat a lot of tumeric, maybe I can help. I love curry, whether a vegetable mix or tai rice pasta. Mango juice and sweet vegetables blend well blend well the bitterness tumeric has, tumeric is also good with potatoes. It helps to mix it with ginger to balance flavors too