Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Of course a cloth mask with a filter is not going to be as effective as N95 filters, but they do offer protection, and when everyone is wearing one there are two points of filtration-through their mask and your mask.
I don't wear a mask walking outside when no ones around. I don't always wear it at my work bench, esp now that there are half the people in my group. I do wear it walking around our building.
I don't really see this as being obsessive, during flu season we've always had people with health issues wearing masks.
I do want to get one that's better than the ones I've made.
If you're contagious before you know you have it, it only makes sense for everyone to wear a mask in public.
As for the comparisons, I personally believe in doing things to lessen my chances of being sick or injured. You could use the same data for car accidents, but I will still wear my seat belt.
For this virus, it's about doing everything we can to stop the spread, not just protect ourselves.

"I would like to remind everyone that there is a 96% recovery rate for this virus. If you are under 65, your odds of dying from it are only slightly more than dying from being hit by a meteor. CV19 = 1 in 600,000 Meteor = 1 in 700,000"

1098 deaths as of 4-11 under 65. I haven't noticed how many people die from being hit by a meteor, but now I'm curious.
There's been a total of one confirmed case of someone hit by a meteorite. She survived the incident. For the Only Person Ever Hit by a Meteorite, the Real Trouble Began Later

We had to take Ziggy in to the avian vet for an emergency visit today. (Inflamed eye; not as serious as we had feared.)

Dr. K has set up his waiting room as an examination room, with the exam table set up near the plate glass window. The patients are handed off outside (the human clients don't enter the premises). The humans can then sit down outside in chairs set up opposite the exam table, so we could see Ziggy and he could see us. It was all very thoughtfully arranged. Dr. K then talked to us via phone after he finished the exam.

I love Dr. K. I've been going to him with birds for over three decades. He is so gentle and thoughtful with them.

(They sanitize the chairs between clients.)

Of course a cloth mask with a filter is not going to be as effective as N95 filters, but they do offer protection, and when everyone is wearing one there are two points of filtration-through their mask and your mask.
I don't wear a mask walking outside when no ones around. I don't always wear it at my work bench, esp now that there are half the people in my group. I do wear it walking around our building.
I don't really see this as being obsessive, during flu season we've always had people with health issues wearing masks.
I do want to get one that's better than the ones I've made.
If you're contagious before you know you have it, it only makes sense for everyone to wear a mask in public.
As for the comparisons, I personally believe in doing things to lessen my chances of being sick or injured. You could use the same data for car accidents, but I will still wear my seat belt.
For this virus, it's about doing everything we can to stop the spread, not just protect ourselves.

"I would like to remind everyone that there is a 96% recovery rate for this virus. If you are under 65, your odds of dying from it are only slightly more than dying from being hit by a meteor. CV19 = 1 in 600,000 Meteor = 1 in 700,000"

1098 deaths as of 4-11 under 65. I haven't noticed how many people die from being hit by a meteor, but now I'm curious.
My point was, it doesn't make any sense for the average healthy person to be wearing a mask of any kind outside, or alone in your car. You're not going to be protecting anyone or yourself in that kind of environment. It's literally better for you to be getting fresh air. I understand doing what you feel lessens your risk, but unless you are in a higher-risk category, you have a greater risk of catching the flu (one of the "regular" strains - which have "miraculously" disappeared over the last few weeks) or almost anything else than you are of catching this virus, let alone dying from it. And if you weren't walking around all the time with a mask before, one has to ask themselves why now, given that reality? If you are in a higher-risk category, you were already taking such precautions, which does make sense. These people know who they are already.

This virus isn't going anywhere and like it or not, the only way we're going to mitigate the situation is for the population to become immune via exposure to and recovering from it. All this physical distancing is just prolonging the process and guaranteeing another surge in the fall. And that's exactly what they want... Because they are going to drag this out until they release their magical vaccine on everyone and force everyone to take it. A vaccine, that is being fast-forwarded through testing, and will no doubt have the same risks (death among them) and a questionable efficacy rate as the rest of them - if it's anything like the "regular" flu vaccine, that's roughly 10-30% at any given time. And they'll be making sure that you get it anyway as they'll be tracking you and surveilling your every move, refusing to let you travel, get health insurance, go back to work, go to a group event. Refuse and you'll be a virtual prisoner for the rest of your life. ...Meanwhile, millions of people are out of a job and the entire world if falling apart economically. I guess that doesn't mean much if you're wealthy enough to weather that storm, but for many, it's a big deal.

My point was, it doesn't make any sense for the average healthy person to be wearing a mask of any kind outside, or alone in your car. You're not going to be protecting anyone or yourself in that kind of environment. It's literally better for you to be getting fresh air. I understand doing what you feel lessens your risk, but unless you are in a higher-risk category, you have a greater risk of catching the flu (one of the "regular" strains - which have "miraculously" disappeared over the last few weeks) or almost anything else than you are of catching this virus, let alone dying from it. And if you weren't walking around all the time with a mask before, one has to ask themselves why now, given that reality? If you are in a higher-risk category, you were already taking such precautions, which does make sense. These people know who they are already.

This virus isn't going anywhere and like it or not, the only way we're going to mitigate the situation is for the population to become immune via exposure to and recovering from it. All this physical distancing is just prolonging the process and guaranteeing another surge in the fall. And that's exactly what they want... Because they are going to drag this out until they release their magical vaccine on everyone and force everyone to take it. A vaccine, that is being fast-forwarded through testing, and will no doubt have the same risks (death among them) and a questionable efficacy rate as the rest of them - if it's anything like the "regular" flu vaccine, that's roughly 10-30% at any given time. And they'll be making sure that you get it anyway as they'll be tracking you and surveilling your every move, refusing to let you travel, get health insurance, go back to work, go to a group event. Refuse and you'll be a virtual prisoner for the rest of your life. ...Meanwhile, millions of people are out of a job and the entire world if falling apart economically. I guess that doesn't mean much if you're wealthy enough to weather that storm, but for many, it's a big deal.
Sweden is taking the approach you advocate and it currently has the fifth highest per capita death rate from Covid 19 in the world and its economy is tanking at almost twice the rate of the U.S.

I'd say it's not working out so well for them.

Reactions: Emma JC

Also, your figures for the efficacy of flu vaccines are flat out wrong.

In most years, the vaccine reduces the need to seek medical care for flu-related respiratory illness by 49-60%. It reduces deaths from flu in vulnerable populations by 80%.

ETA: There are numerous strains of flu. The reason that flu vaccines aren't more effective is that every year, the people making the vaccines have to estimate which strain(s) of flu will be most prominent, and then produce the vaccine accordingly. If their estimates are wrong, the vaccine is less "effective" because it's geared toward a different strain of flu.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lou, Val and KLS52
Updated on April 10, 2020 / As front-line healthcare workers care for patients with COVID-19, they commit themselves to difficult, draining work
and also put themselves at risk of infection. Hundreds throughout the world have died. Medscape wants to make sure they are not forgotten, and we will update this list as — sadly — needed.

109 doctors have died in Italy.

In Memoriam: Healthcare Workers Who Have Died of COVID-19

Updated on April 10, 2020 / As front-line healthcare workers care for patients with COVID-19, they commit themselves to difficult, draining work
and also put themselves at risk of infection. Hundreds throughout the world have died. Medscape wants to make sure they are not forgotten, and we will update this list as — sadly — needed.

109 doctors have died in Italy.

In Memoriam: Healthcare Workers Who Have Died of COVID-19
This is tragic.

The people who blithely say, "Oh, don't worry about taking precautions" are implicitly saying that they are willing to sacrifice the lives of healthcare workers. That's unforgiveable.

Also, your figures for the efficacy of flu vaccines are flat out wrong.

In most years, the vaccine reduces the need to seek medical care for flu-related respiratory illness by 49-60%. It reduces deaths from flu in vulnerable populations by 80%.

Quote your source, please.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I didn't know what the word "furlough" even meant before this.

I am noticing that some people are getting what I consider to be too hysterical about this situation and some people are being far too blase. Everyone has their different ways of coping to a crisis, I suppose!

• Agree
Reactions: Val and KLS52
I didn't know what the word "furlough" even meant before this.

I am noticing that some people are getting what I consider to be too hysterical about this situation and some people are being far too blase. Everyone has their different ways of coping to a crisis, I suppose!
Extremes, one way or the other, are usually not good. I’m far from hysterical but I think I lean more to that side than the other, for sure. It’s getting to the point where I don’t even want to order groceries for delivery because it took me an hour to wipe everything down, transfer from store packaging to my own packing, etc. I do feel like that is excessive but I can’t seem to not do it know that I started. I’m afraid to leave cardboard boxes in the house so I empty them outside, cut them up, then immediately go inside, and wash my hands. Now that I’m typing this all out, it kind of sounds hysterical, lol. *facepalm*

I have not left the house, other to go walking, for a full two weeks now. I’m starting to think that I might want to brave the stores instead of having delivery, but then, what’s the difference if I’m picking up the items at the store myself...I’m still going to feel like they need to be sanitized when I get them home.

It really isn’t fun feeling like everything is contaminated with the virus...that part is over the top, IMO. I also don’t think I’m going to feel safe in a supermarket for a very long time.

@TofuRobot...I think the only thing I agree with you on is not having to wear a mask in the car or when I’m walking outside. I do not come into contact with people outside other than passing by and we always keep our distance. I cross to the other side when I see someone coming.

I'm not doing anything like that. I am washing my hands when I get home (but I always did that) and I do rinse off fresh food. I will probably die from the virus now!

Some people are saying they are washing their clothes as soon as they get home.

Almost half of Americans get the annual flu vaccine, so the comparison really isn't known.
As for becoming immune via exposure, like New York? That did participate in quarrentine and containment?

This virus isn't going anywhere and like it or not, the only way we're going to mitigate the situation is for the population to become immune via exposure to and recovering from it. All this physical distancing is just prolonging the process and guaranteeing another surge in the fall.
And that's exactly what they want... Because they are going to drag this out until they release their magical vaccine on everyone and force everyone to take it. A vaccine, that is being fast-forwarded through testing, and will no doubt have the same risks (death among them) and a questionable efficacy rate as the rest of them - if it's anything like the "regular" flu vaccine, that's roughly 10-30% at any given time. And they'll be making sure that you get it anyway as they'll be tracking you and surveilling your every move, refusing to let you travel, get health insurance, go back to work, go to a group event. Refuse and you'll be a virtual prisoner for the rest of your life. ...Meanwhile, millions of people are out of a job and the entire world if falling apart economically. I guess that doesn't mean much if you're wealthy enough to weather that storm, but for many, it's a big deal.

Reactions: KLS52
I'm not doing anything like that. I am washing my hands when I get home (but I always did that) and I do rinse off fresh food. I will probably die from the virus now!

Some people are saying they are washing their clothes as soon as they get home.
I’ve been considering this but trying not to get any more crazy. One day last week I had a rather large order from amazon and chewy and there were several big boxes and they were rather dusty. I did end up changing my shirt afterward. But I only did that the one time.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I’ve been considering this but trying not to get any more crazy. One day last week I had a rather large order from amazon and chewy and there were several big boxes and they were rather dusty. I did end up changing my shirt afterward. But I only did that the one time.
I did wipe down my Chewy cat food boxes and the huge bag of cat litter. :D My sister wiped down all my dad's groceries as well. It can't hurt.

Hey, what's this table for?I've never even noticedso I figured I'd seewhat it does.I'm not quiteunderstandingit's purpose
You know, the squares next to the left alignment in the icons?

My son has always just cut up the Chewy boxes outside and put right in the recycling bin.
I would think the only way to worry is if the delivery guy was infected. I'd be fine leaving the boxes on the porch overnight. Someones always here now, an we have that motion activated bell