Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I've been enjoying this social isolation. I enjoy doing yoga via Zoom, from home. I enjoy spending time around home, without feeling guilty. I enjoy not feeling pressured to have to go anywhere and do anything (other than my work and grocery shopping).
I can totally relate! :up:
I get very agitated when being around people for so long. I really like it on my own terms.

NYC schools are closed for remainder of school year but I think we expected that. I’m sure the rest will follow.
I'm pretty sure this will happen in CT as well. The governor has been direct about not going back to business too soon. I think they give people a date for possible opening to keep kids interested. If they decided to scrap it now, maybe kids would lose interest. But pretty soon, it won't be worth it to go back. He has hinted not so subtly that schools won't reopen until the fall.

I can respect that, if that works for you. It wouldn't work for me. I'd be touching the mask all the time to scratch my nose or whatever or to pull my hair out of my face. I just prefer to keep my hands clean so touching my face is not an issue.
Wearing a mask is to filter the air and prevent aerosal transmission, why a good fit is important.
You shouldn't touch your face and always wash your hands, but those are separate issues.

I can totally relate! :up:
I get very agitated when being around people for so long. I really like it on my own terms.
Do you ever feel guilty about this? Up until the recent social distancing rules, I felt guilty about not wanting to be around other people. Infact, I don't really even like having people over to our home. If we do get together with others, I prefer to go out somewhere or go to their home, that way I can leave when I am ready.

I just got a letter from TJX corporate. All employees are officially furloughed as of tomorrow. The "big wigs" are taking a pay cut. At least now we employees can apply for unemployment though that is a nightmare in itself.
I'm sorry, Chryssie. I really hope you don't have to wait too long for relief. Fingers crossed for you.

Wearing a mask is to filter the air and prevent aerosal transmission, why a good fit is important.
You shouldn't touch your face and always wash your hands, but those are separate issues.
Unless you have an N95 mask, your mask would to nothing to protect your from an "aerosol" type infection. The odds of that happening is so small while you're outside in the fresh air or alone in your car it's not even worth mentioning.

I would like to remind everyone that there is a 96% recovery rate for this virus. If you are under 65, your odds of dying from it are only slightly more than dying from being hit by a meteor.

CV19 = 1 in 600,000 Meteor = 1 in 700,000

Now, wearing an N95 mask in your car while in rush hour traffic to avoid toxic fumes might be a good idea, but no one is going anywhere right now so "rush hour" is virtually non-existent.

Unless you have an N95 mask, your mask would to nothing to protect your from an "aerosol" type infection. The odds of that happening is so small while you're outside in the fresh air or alone in your car it's not even worth mentioning.

I would like to remind everyone that there is a 96% recovery rate for this virus. If you are under 65, your odds of dying from it are only slightly more than dying from being hit by a meteor.

CV19 = 1 in 600,000 Meteor = 1 in 700,000

Now, wearing an N95 mask in your car while in rush hour traffic to avoid toxic fumes might be a good idea, but no one is going anywhere right now so "rush hour" is virtually non-existent.
Of course a cloth mask with a filter is not going to be as effective as N95 filters, but they do offer protection, and when everyone is wearing one there are two points of filtration-through their mask and your mask.
I don't wear a mask walking outside when no ones around. I don't always wear it at my work bench, esp now that there are half the people in my group. I do wear it walking around our building.
I don't really see this as being obsessive, during flu season we've always had people with health issues wearing masks.
I do want to get one that's better than the ones I've made.
If you're contagious before you know you have it, it only makes sense for everyone to wear a mask in public.
As for the comparisons, I personally believe in doing things to lessen my chances of being sick or injured. You could use the same data for car accidents, but I will still wear my seat belt.
For this virus, it's about doing everything we can to stop the spread, not just protect ourselves.

"I would like to remind everyone that there is a 96% recovery rate for this virus. If you are under 65, your odds of dying from it are only slightly more than dying from being hit by a meteor. CV19 = 1 in 600,000 Meteor = 1 in 700,000"

1098 deaths as of 4-11 under 65. I haven't noticed how many people die from being hit by a meteor, but now I'm curious.

Last edited:

I've found that quoting actual numbers is pointless to those transfixed by the media attention on this. If the numbers I'm reading are correct, there's approx 1.5 million deaths from tuberculosis worldwide every year. No one bats an eye.

Coronavirus deaths are less than a 10th of that, if one believes the numbers and the cause and rules out all bs in reporting. Everyone goes batshit crazy.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I'd like to remind everyone, that the whole point of social distancing is to spread out the number of infected people over time to reduce the strain on hospitals. "to flatten the curve"....

If you get the virus and need hospitalization, you are much more likely to get better treatment if the healthcare system isn't overtaxed.

There is a vaccine for the flu, but none for COVID-19 yet.

COVID-19 just started, whereas the flu has been around for much longer, so of course the flu numbers are larger.

Chryssie I’m so sorry about the work furlough. ☹
To be furloughed is actually better because now we can apply for unemployment. The company gave us a couple of weeks of pay without actually working and some companies didn't do that much so I can't really be too upset. It just sucks the unemployment process is such a mess right now.

To be furloughed is actually better because now we can apply for unemployment. The company gave us a couple of weeks of pay without actually working and some companies didn't do that much so I can't really be too upset. It just sucks the unemployment process is such a mess right now.
Darn right! My son is quite relieved-of course how soon will it go through?-
"Furloughed workers will be eligible for the additional $600 per week in federal unemployment benefits that was authorized by the $2 trillion stimulus plan passed by lawmakers last month. Once a furloughed worker returns to work, those benefits would end. "

Darn right! My son is quite relieved-of course how soon will it go through?-
"Furloughed workers will be eligible for the additional $600 per week in federal unemployment benefits that was authorized by the $2 trillion stimulus plan passed by lawmakers last month. Once a furloughed worker returns to work, those benefits would end. "

The unemployment application website has been a nightmare here in Florida. It keeps going down and then they shut it down for upgrades. I just saw a post that there is now a mobile app that is working better. I will deal with all that crap next week.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15