Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Spreading the virus to other parts of the country. 😠

I was also amazed (looked up Gatwick departures) by the amount of planes that are still flying to many cities in Europe. However, just heard on the news that both Belgium, France and the Netherlands are going to ban all flights from the UK.

Reactions: Emma JC
Just heard that 79% of Brits would like to get the vaccine. In Germany only about half the population wants the vaccine? German Angst regarding the vaccine seems to be quite strong.

Yes, I can understand people being critical about the vaccine (even medical professionals). I'm scared of it myself. I also fear that it has not been tested long and/or sufficiently enough. However, I've seen enough COVID lungs to be scared of the virus as well and infection rates are soaring.

Some people say "Oh, I don't want to be the pharma industries' guinea pig!! I'm waiting a few months!!"

Yeah, right...so you want other people being the guinea pigs or you're hoping for herd immunity so you don't need the shot yourself. Both are really quite shitty attitudes IMO.

Last edited:
I heard that 75% of Americans want to get the vaccine. and I've heard it discussed that the percentage of Americans who get the vaccine will probably go up as more people get it and don't get sick, peer pressure, and in some places, it becomes a requirement to go back to work or school.

I'm not sure of what the number is for some kind of herd immunity to kick in. I just know that it's very high. but maybe it's achievable. then not everyone will have to get the vaccine.

I can’t say that I want to get it. I don’t feel confident in it’s safety. But I will get it regardless, especially if my family and friends are getting it. I do tend to go with the flow when I’m not sure about something.
I feel a little better since hearing from my friend’s son who is a scientist at some big corporation in Boston. While he says there are some risks involved, if he is offered the vaccine he will take it as the benefits outweigh the risks.

Just heard that 79% of Brits would like to get the vaccine. In Germany only about half the population wants the vaccine? German Angst regarding the vaccine seems to be quite strong.

Yes, I can understand people being critical about the vaccine (even medical professionals). I'm scared of it myself. I also fear that it has not been tested long and/or sufficiently enough. However, I've seen enough COVID lungs to be scared of the virus as well and infection rates are soaring.

Some people say "Oh, I don't want to be the pharma industries' guinea pig!! I'm waiting a few months!!"

Yeah, right...so you want other people being the guinea pigs or you're hoping for herd immunity so you don't need the shot yourself. Both are really quite shitty attitudes IMO.
I'm not ready to receive the first wave of vaccines, I'm a bit leery of the speed and how politicized, and monetized it's been. The idea that others are going to receive it doesn't mean I'm using them as experiment subjects, they're getting it under their own free will.
Of course there's a good chance I may be required to get the vaccine for my own employment, and then, I will. I certainly wouldn't judge others that hold off as being shitty! 🙄

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I can’t say that I want to get it. I don’t feel confident in it’s safety. But I will get it regardless, especially if my family and friends are getting it. I do tend to go with the flow when I’m not sure about something.
I feel a little better since hearing from my friend’s son who is a scientist at some big corporation in Boston. While he says there are some risks involved, if he is offered the vaccine he will take it as the benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm getting it as soon as it'll be available for my age group, i.e. within the next two months. I have spoken with several people and only one friend is also eager to get the jab. I have talked a 86 yr old friend into having it as she didn't want to have the jab. The anti vaccine groups over here are very powerful for whatever reason.

It would seem that the figure of 50 % is over estimated as many people are worried about the vaccine but not worried that they may catch the virus. The major drawback is that we will not reach herd immunity as you need to vaccinate approx. 75 % of the entire population.
We are not out of the woods any time soon! :worried:

The latest travel ban update between the UK & other countries :

Of course there's a good chance I may be required to get the vaccine for my own employment, and then, I will. I certainly wouldn't judge others that hold off as being shitty! 🙄
No need to roll your eyes. I didn't say "they're shitty" but that their attitude regarding getting vaccinated is shitty and I think you're smart enough to now that this is a big difference.

I can understand that people want to wait - but what rubs me the wrong way is their reasoning behind it.

The WEF-Ipsos survey on the new COVID-19 vaccines found that 34% of people globally were in part concerned about side effects and 33% cited the speed of clinical trials as a concern.
This is my beef with the vaccine as well. Too fast, not tested long enough - that's why I'm scared as well. Several colleagues are hesitant as well. Others will get it as soon as they get the chance. I personally hope for STIKO recommendation soon. It might come out before it's my turn anyway. I'm a health care worker but usually not as front line as paramedics, nurses or ER doctors. There are some exceptions though.

However, I've seen too many people with severe COVID at the hospital and it can hit any age group so I guess despite all my mulling over about complications when it comes to the vaccine might be academic anyway, especially with infections rates soaring. I'm absolutely convinced that many people will change their minds when in January the X-mas and NYE cases are going to flood the hospitals.

However, I've seen too many people with severe COVID at the hospital and it can hit any age group so I guess despite all my mulling over about complications when it comes to the vaccine might be academic anyway, especially with infections rates soaring. I'm absolutely convinced that many people will change their minds when in January the X-mas and NYE cases are going to flood the hospitals.

I don't think that any country has made the vaccine mandatory but is strongly advising the population to get the jab. As you say severe (and even lingering symptoms) Covid is not something that anyone wants to catch. This may sway some people over to get vaccinated.

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday (she is for the vaccine) and we raised the issue of what kind of scenario would be playing out if we didn't have the vaccine. With the rising number of cases (plus the mutation), it would wipe out quite a large number of the world's population within a number of years.

The major drawback is that we will not reach herd immunity as you need to vaccinate approx. 75 % of the entire population.
That number is probably low. Actually, no one knows. The phenomena of herd immunity has only been achieved a few times. And each disease is different. ease of transmission is a factor in achieving herd immunity. Since Covid is so easily transmitted the percentage is probably in the 90s.

That number is probably low. Actually, no one knows. The phenomena of herd immunity has only been achieved a few times. And each disease is different. ease of transmission is a factor in achieving herd immunity. Since Covid is so easily transmitted the percentage is probably in the 90s.

Well I hope you don't think that it's my believe but Dr Fauci's.:D In a recent interview that I saw on the news, he stated that we need to vaccinate a minimum of 75% of the population to obtain herd immunity.

I believe that the scientists and medical experts have a good idea as they've been studying the coronaviruses for quite a long time.

"Experts do not know what percentage of people would need to get vaccinated to achieve herd immunity to COVID-19. "

-https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html#:~:text=Experts%20do%20not%20know%20what,spread%20and%20cause%20disease.

well, our province (the largest in Canada, 14.5 million) is heading into lockdown on Christmas Eve - Southern Ontario (the most densely populated and where I live) for 28 days and Northern Ontario for 14 days - it won't make a huge difference to us as we already don't go anywhere but for groceries - hopefully this will slow it down until the vaccine can start to make a difference

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

The Pfizer vaccine is now approved in Europe and Norway. Happy about it.

Some countries are putting the restrictions on those who don't want to contribute to getting out life back to normal. Brasil at least, and a couple of more. Just fair I think.

No need to roll your eyes. I didn't say "they're shitty" but that their attitude regarding getting vaccinated is shitty and I think you're smart enough to now that this is a big difference.

I can understand that people want to wait - but what rubs me the wrong way is their reasoning behind it.
I certainly wouldn't judge others that hold off as having shitty attitudes ! 🙄
and i always roll my eyes.

I don't know, I'm not anti vax, but this truly has been so politicised and monetized--so much inside stock trading gaining from these vaccines. I'm just leery and can't blame others for being even more so!
I certainly have, and will continue, to do everything I can to mask and isolate.

When they have so much money divested in a vaccine that hasn't even been fully vetted I just wonder...

This is my beef with the vaccine as well. Too fast, not tested long enough - that's why I'm scared as well. Several colleagues are hesitant as well. Others will get it as soon as they get the chance. I personally hope for STIKO recommendation soon. It might come out before it's my turn anyway. I'm a health care worker but usually not as front line as paramedics, nurses or ER doctors. There are some exceptions though.

:sigh: I probably will get the vaccine--after all, by the time it's my turn it will be a while, and by then I'm sure the covid rates will be crazy!
We are expecting it to mandatory at my job, as we have divisions that do something for the vaccines.

• Friendly
My coworker is finally back. She said she just had a couple days of fever, tired, loss of appetite. She had a hard time getting her doctor to fill out the paperwork for her to return. Her husband had to quarantine, but didn't test positive.

Reactions: KLS52