The Everything Animal Thread

339924470_629394445771154_735097204341808810_n.jpg

One of my interview questions was "are you scared of snakes?" I replied with "Only the venomous ones"
One day my foreman finds a kingsnake, brings it back to the shop and everyone's screaming and running lol.
20230328_102353.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KLS52
340905540_171890679076442_9013121529837240708_n.jpg

A orphaned cub at Brent lodge Wildlife Hospital (Chichester) just finishing supper.
What do people generally feed foxes with, I used to put out left over cat food, they would also eat peanuts, didn't see much of the fruit or carrots taken?

Both raw and cooked meat. Tinned dog food, eggs, cheese, fruit and peanuts. They should never be fed any type of
cereal.
So for anyone else reading this, sounds like Grain Free kibble is ok but NOT one contain cereals.

My foxes eat grapes, bananas and peanuts. Sometimes there are mealworms left from the bluebirds but I'm not sure if they eat those. And leftover suet.

They eat animal protein so should eat worms. Fruit and peanuts are great for them.
I think I need to stop putting out any kind of food for awhile, even for the birds. Last night a coyote came through...he looked pathetic. Very scrawny and clearly with a bad case of mange. I looked it up and it is very contagious/deadly for wildlife (and people). I would hate for it to infect the other wildlife that comes through...deer, coyotes, foxes, skunks, opossums, rabbits...

I think I need to stop putting out any kind of food for awhile, even for the birds. Last night a coyote came through...he looked pathetic. Very scrawny and clearly with a bad case of mange. I looked it up and it is very contagious/deadly for wildlife (and people). I would hate for it to infect the other wildlife that comes through...deer, coyotes, foxes, skunks, opossums, rabbits...

He needs help. In the UK people put special medication in the food to treat them.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
My foxes eat grapes, bananas and peanuts. Sometimes there are mealworms left from the bluebirds but I'm not sure if they eat those. And leftover suet.
Aren't grapes and raisins supposed to be bad for dogs?

Aren't grapes and raisins supposed to be bad for dogs?
Good point. I did hear that about dogs. It didn't occur to me about coyotes and foxes. I put them out because the birds like them and sometimes the raccoons will eat any that are left.

Good point. I did hear that about dogs. It didn't occur to me about coyotes and foxes. I put them out because the birds like them and sometimes the raccoons will eat any that are left.
This website is an eye opener - learning new stuff everyday What a Fox Eats | The Complete Guide - All Things Foxes
Although...
A friend of mine's dog ate a raisin the other week and she took him in to get him to vomit.
She had a dog trainer around later and he said he wouldn't have worried about it so maybe it's a case of Chinese whispers in the veterinary community, after all a lot of the medical profession don't seem to know anything about health - they just like prescribing drugs - in the case of animals it's metacam for anything and everything.
It's very difficult to get accurate information these days I find.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
A happy ending for these tiny sweethearts:

''West Sussex Wildlife Protection were called to ducklings trapped in a storm drain at Pagham. However, they could not be reached as had gone along a horizontal pipe. The Fire and Rescue service were called and mounted a difficult rescue using modified drain rods and even card to assist in getting seven ducklings out from certain death. They are recovering at Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital.''

341326889_915458893040875_3229416510697605943_n.jpg
341332729_1438344400245626_644534820313590002_n.jpg

From one of Brighton's rescuers:

''What a difference a few hours make.
Arrived hypothermic, shivering & unresponsive.

Now squeaking, warm & eyes open.
Come on little one!!''

• Friendly