The contrarian

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is it that drives some people to adopt this attitude? Are some groups (say, adult males) more prone to this malady? Is it a mating strategy to appear more interesting, stand out from the crowd and thereby increase chances with the fairer sex? Can contrarianism be considered a coherent system of thought? Is contrarianism just a stage in a wider process leading to trolldom?

Let's discuss.

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
No. Quite the opposite. When you are contrary, you risk being ostracized from the group.
Clearly, that is a risk, but I don't think it's the inevitable outcome. For the potential , some may think it worth the risk.

People are contrary because they have a different opinion, and feel strongly enough about that opinion to express it.
I don't mean simply having a different opinion now and again, but rather a more systematic history of contrary views; a recurring pattern of behaviour that, seen as a whole, can't be explained as legitimate dissent.

I have noticed this sort of 'I don't agree' attitude but also with woman. I have one in my group on the owner's association and she systematically disagrees with anything I say.:confused:

I sometimes argue points I disagree with or have no opinion on, just for something interesting to do. Well, potentially interesting.

Although I'm not actually sure if that's what you're talking about. 'Contrarian' isn't really a term I hear people use often (and firefox tells me it's a spelling error).

I have noticed this sort of 'I don't agree' attitude but also with woman. I have one in my group on the owner's association and she systematically disagrees with anything I say.:confused:
Is she disagreeing specifically just with what you're saying, or does everyone get the same treatment? Does she have other symptoms, or is it just the arguing?

I honestly think that interacting with others on message boards like this brings out the contratian in everyone, male or female.

Is she disagreeing specifically just with what you're saying, or does everyone get the same treatment? Does she have other symptoms, or is it just the arguing?
As the other 2 don't argue with her it is mainly my-self. Yes, she has all the symptoms of 'Ms Know it All' and she acts as though she is the managing director and that we are her staff !:rofl:

It has gotten to the point that I am seriously comptemplating on resigning at the end of the year.

I honestly think that interacting with others on message boards like this brings out the contratian in everyone, male or female.

agreed. and that's why it would be interesting to see these discussions happen in person.

As the other 2 don't argue with her it is mainly my-self. Yes, she has all the symptoms of 'Ms Know it All' and she acts as though she is the managing director and that we are her staff !:rofl:

It has gotten to the point that I am seriously comptemplating on resigning at the end of the year.

If this is what the OP is referring to it just sounds like a dominance thing; this person may disagree for the sake of implying they are right and you are wrong. Or they might just think completely different things to the people around them, either way.

There's a certain type online that appears to be contrarian as an attention getting device. I haven't encountered that type IRL - maybe they're rarer IRL because there are more ways to try to focus attention on oneself IRL.

What is it that drives some people to adopt this attitude? Are some groups (say, adult males) more prone to this malady? Is it a mating strategy to appear more interesting, stand out from the crowd and thereby increase chances with the fairer sex? Can contrarianism be considered a coherent system of thought? Is contrarianism just a stage in a wider process leading to trolldom?

Let's discuss.

Because I can, that's why.

You mad? Come at me.

More seriously, I feel it's critically important to always pick apart everything, even things you agree with. Truth is never rewarded to the complacent.

I have noticed this in the past both here and on the other forum. There are in fact quite a few people who will automatically disagree with me on any subject, even if they historically have come down on the same side of the fence. I guess I'm just some kind of ******* who people want to disagree with, even if they actually do agree with me. Maybe I just bring out the worst in people. :p

Reactions: Scorpius
I have noticed this in the past both here and on the other forum. There are in fact quite a few people who will automatically disagree with me on any subject, even if they historically have come down on the same side of the fence. I guess I'm just some kind of ******* who people want to disagree with, even if they actually do agree with me. Maybe I just bring out the worst in people. :p

you're so wrong.

Reactions: Scorpius
I noticed this type of attitude on another forum (not VB) and it was two older men that seemed to argue against any opposing point of view to a ridiculous extent.

I know two contrarians IRL who seem to love to get under my skin. One seems to disagree with everything because he's miserable and pessimistic, the other one seems to just loves to fight and prove how much smarter he is than everyone. You tell him the sky is blue and he'll launch into a long winded spiel about how ignorant you are for it :brood:

I've met some in real life. One was hired at my department and I trained him and he argued with me about absolutely everything, even things he had said he knew nothing about just moments before.

He did not last long in my department.

I've met some in real life. One was hired at my department and I trained him and he argued with me about absolutely everything, even things he had said he knew nothing about just moments before.

He did not last long in my department.

That must be 'Ms Know it All's' long lost twin.:D