The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(April 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know John Prine was so influential myself. I just remember his name from many years ago. There must be a particular song that really got me to remember his name all these years! I haven't found that song yet though. I am a bit baffled as I am not a fan of country music.

I'm a huge John Prine fan. I was devastated by his recent death, due to Covid.

The thing is, I probably wouldn't call his music country music, in the true sense of the genre, although it does have lots of country sounds, including some nice twangy steel guitar and classic solos. To me, its's closer to folk music, in my humble opinion.

The songs I recall that everyone knew, back in the day, were "Dear Abby, Sam Stone, Angel From Montgomery, and Illegal Smile". There's lots more, but those are a few of his early ones that people knew him by. Oh, and "Please Don't Bury Me" was another one I recall being popular way back when.

His songs most often tell a life story, sometimes funny and sometimes sad. I recall him saying one time, when asked how he writes songs, he said something like "just tell the truth and try not to rhyme too much". His songs made me happy, and I will definitely miss John Prine.

I'm a huge John Prine fan. I was devastated by his recent death, due to Covid.

The thing is, I probably wouldn't call his music country music, in the true sense of the genre, although it does have lots of country sounds, including some nice twangy steel guitar and classic solos. To me, its's closer to folk music, in my humble opinion.

The songs I recall that everyone knew, back in the day, were "Dear Abby, Sam Stone, Angel From Montgomery, and Illegal Smile". There's lots more, but those are a few of his early ones that people knew him by. Oh, and "Please Don't Bury Me" was another one I recall being popular way back when.

His songs most often tell a life story, sometimes funny and sometimes sad. I recall him saying one time, when asked how he writes songs, he said something like "just tell the truth and try not to rhyme too much". His songs made me happy, and I will definitely miss John Prine.

I listened to a few of those and I enjoyed them but didn't perk a memory. I will keep looking. I agree, his music is very folk and that is something I listened to way back then.

• Friendly
Reactions: Veganite and Val
I had a nice visit with my sister and BIL. We had a video chat with our brothers which was very cool and the first time we attempted it. It is snowing in Minnesota where Jon is! He said they got 6 inches! It snows on Easter frequently up there. So weird because it is very warm here, up in the mid 80's. It looks like it could rain now. Lynda sent me home with a bunch of food. Lunch stuff, like potato salad, cole slaw and macaroni salad and a small apple pie and chips. There was more traffic than I expected but a lot less than usual. Less traffic makes the idiots think there is no speed limit! I passed a multi car wreck on my way home so I hope someone learned their lesson. Didn't look like anyone was hurt, just some smashed cars and a pickup truck.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Freesia
So I posted a couple days ago about finding someone's phone with a busted up screen and getting it back to them...literally the next day I lost my phone and got it back last night with a busted up screen.

Ugh...:pig: Work, work and more work these days - is the only thing that Unghshu has. I didn't go out on Friday (was sitting at home and either calling 40+ people, like parents, kids and colleagues,- or recording different exercises and pieces played by me on my home piano). The same today: i didn't go out, because when i finished, it was very dark, and it was raining.
I already have spent $4.5 on "chatting" with humanoids, my tongue hurts, my head is "clanging like a copper bowl", my left thumb started aching badly again, and i had to apply "Dolobene" gel on it, ...but i think i'm making progress. I recorded 37 pieces for choreography department, and 9 pieces for theater department. A lot more to go.
Aaand... Unghshu has become some sort of admin now! Haha, just kiddin'... I just HAD TO create a group (and i'm in chief, lol). Here's its front page!👇It's written here: *"Dance" discipline for the students of "theater department" and "stage dance department". Open group*.
This is actually a crude attempt to teach kids online and to create the appearance of work and later - exams. It's also written here: "36 participants, 14 friends". While Annie is responsible for uploading music recorded by me (or any other stuff from the internet) for choreography department to the group on "Whats up" messenger,- it's my job to manage the info for theater department, so i had been advised (and i decided that it was better) to create a group on VK social platform.
Still, i'm very lucky that balletmeister Veronica Braude is helping me. Tomorrow she'll listen to all that delirium that i'll send to her (also tomorrow), and decide, if there is anything appropriate, if anything can be uploaded without re-recording it... I'm lucky that my memory serves me well, and i remember the length of these compositions (established by Mrs.Victoria Sogreyeva recently), and i could even explain it to Braude, so she could understand what for do we need excessive sentences, etc".
My brand new group::kitty:
Screenshot_2020-04-13-04-05-51-740_com.vkontakte.android.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia and silva
I tried to upload a photo of Bella that her mum sent me for Easter. It must be too large as it got rejected.
Such a shame as she is beautiful and I wanted to share.:cold_sweat:

• Sad
Reactions: PTree15
I tried to upload a photo of Bella that her mum sent me for Easter. It must be too large as it got rejected.
You can resize the photo with an editing program. I used to have to do it all the time "back in the day". Now it seems most sites can adjust the photos.

I just tried and looked up in Play Market: "Compress photo size",- and it came up with multiple apps which make compression.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I use a free open source photo editing program/app called the GIMP. I have used it for many, many, years. It is very similar to Photo Shop and can be a bit intimidating. There are many choices!

I use a free open source photo editing program/app called the GIMP. I have used it for many, many, years. It is very similar to Photo Shop and can be a bit intimidating. There are many choices!
Ooo! So you're a prophy in Gimp!👍😎 (Just like my ex-bf, who taught me how to edit sheet music, when i worked as a librarian of the orchestra in Mikhailovsky opera&ballet theatre). We had tons of pictures to edit, - it was a never ending story, and i'm grateful to him and to the creators of GIMP that i didn't get smashed by the bunch of music and by my mean crazy bosses, who were "sitting on my neck". Hosanna Gimp! :lol:

Reactions: Chryssie
@Val Your comment about your head “clinging like a copper bowl” (I believe you meant clanging, not clinging) reminded me of a Yiddish phrase I heard a lot growing up:

😳 "Tshaynik" = "teakettle" in Russian! (Though we pronounce it more like "Chainik")... Hhmmm... It's a small world...🤓
And yeah, i meant clanging...🤦‍♀️ If i understand it correctly, we mean a slightly different thing over here: we mean it literally, that my head aches to such an extent, that if any quiet sound touches it, it starts resonating, and hurting your brain from the inside.🤕 Or it also means that the head is so overloaded and overwhelmed by (mostly useless) information, that it's going to explode.🤯

• Friendly
Reactions: Amy SF
Rainy & a bit grey here today so guess we will leave our daily walk & just stay home, I'll make banana bread & I'm going to attempt to make some hand print cards with E 🙈 then we've got a video call planned this afternoon with my family :)

Hope everyone has a nice day also.

Status
Not open for further replies.