The Best Things About Going Vegetarian

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
I'm thinking specifically about what was so great in your first few months of vegetarianism, when you were getting into your stride. Over time we lose our initial enthusiasm and have a tendency to focus on the annoyances, so sometimes it's good to remember why we LOVE being veggie.

For me:

1. Trying new foods. Sometimes because it was the only option in a restaurant, and sometimes because I was looking for replacements for the stuff I used to eat. It opened up a whole new world of cuisine.

2. Feeling so clean and pure once I stopped eating dead animals. I really identify with "my body is not a graveyard" now.

3. FINALLY having a clear conscience. I could never reconcile my love for animals and my love for meat, so I just ignored it, but it niggled at me all the time. Once I went veggie it was like being liberated!

4. Meeting new people and becoming part of new online communities. I've made some very close friends from veggie communities.

5. Learning to love vegetables. Before they were just the side dish, the thing that accompanied the meat. Now you could put a plate of plain vegetables in front of me and I'd be happy. I feel so good and healthy looking at a plate of vibrant colours and thinking of all the vitamins and minerals there.

What were the best things, for you?

Discovering new foods. I eat things now I used to dislike and never thought of trying before.
I couldnt look at kidney beans before and would pick them out of food, now I cant get enough!

I feel good. I dont feel sluggish and I used to have really bad cramps and they are no where near as bad since I went veggie.

Im making a difference. Ok so its not as much as a vegan but Im working on that too.

Learning to cook. I didnt know how to make anything when I was omni(and living at home), just relied on my mum cooking all the food. Going veggie has forced me to learn and create.

Discovering hummus. :p

Health, cooking (I thought I knew a huge variety of dishes before, lol, not even close), stockpiling dry goods and spices, and yes, even though I didn't know it at the time, not contributing to the suffering of animals in our food system.

The clear(er) conscience, by far. I remember shortly after I stopped eating birds, hearing a bird singing in a tree, looking up, and seeing that bird in a way I never had before.

I must say that my diet became so much more varied and interesting also. People really get into a rut, with their reliance on eating meat.

This isn't my only reason obviously, but one of my favorite reasons for going veggie is the cost savings. As a grad student I was always low on money, but being a vegetarian I always knew that as long as I had a bag of rice and a bag of dried beans in my cupboard I could make a meal... both of which are dirt cheap. There was a time when I ate nothing but potatoes for a whole week because they were on sale... ten pounds for 1.99... and I did just fine. As an omnivore I always freaked out if I didn't have money for meat. Omg... how am I ever going to make dinner without meat!

I don't remember my first few months after going vegetarian. It was too long ago. :p

I had fought such a protracted battle with my mom that by the time I was able to give up meat it was like being let out of prison. I never really lost that feeling.

hmmm not exactly sure its been almost 23 years ago so i forget...lol... I never ate much meat ever my parents say and they never made me.... I am really hippie that I have been veggie for 23 years and knew I wanted to be veggie since birth and I am proud of that..

peace:)

Discovering hummus. :p

Health, cooking (I thought I knew a huge variety of dishes before, lol, not even close), stockpiling dry goods and spices, and yes, even though I didn't know it at the time, not contributing to the suffering of animals in our food system.

Definitely!! I still remember the first time I ever tried hummus or falafel or Indian curries or Thai food, etc.

I feel like there was this whole world of food that I didn't know about before. Probably because there was!! There's still more to discover and I can't wait.

I must say that my diet became so much more varied and interesting also. People really get into a rut, with their reliance on eating meat.
:yes:

It's also nice not to have to worry about food poisoning because of contaminated meat. A lot of vegan food can be kept out for hours without spoiling, but meat and dairy items will get bad very quickly when not put in a fridge asap.

It's also nice to have the awareness of where meat actually comes from and what the animals go through. No longer having that disconnect is a very freeing feeling.

It's also nice not to have to worry about food poisoning because of contaminated meat.
I love that aspect of it... being able to use the same utensils to prepare an entire meal, not having to wash my hands every five minutes because I got chicken guts on them or some other such thing. Of course there have been plenty of recalls for contaminated vegetarian products as well (peanut butter, spinach, etc) but that's a supply side issue. In terms of home preparation everything is just so much cleaner and less stressful.

Reactions: Freesia
I love that aspect of it... being able to use the same utensils to prepare an entire meal, not having to wash my hands every five minutes because I got chicken guts on them or some other such thing. Of course there have been plenty of recalls for contaminated vegetarian products as well (peanut butter, spinach, etc) but that's a supply side issue. In terms of home preparation everything is just so much cleaner and less stressful.

:yes:Exactly!

Plus we could eat raw cookie dough without risking getting salmonella. :D

All of the foods that I have tried and love
Feeling physically better
Dramatically improved digestion
Bonding with my son
Sharing new foods with friends and family
Eating without sadness

Not supporting the slaughter of billions of animals each year.
Trying tons of new food I never had before.
Being able to refuse gross omni food easier.
Not feeling like a hypocrite when I say "I love animals"
Being able to eat raw cookie dough or raw cake mix without worrying. (vegan benefit :p)
When I found out about veggie meats, I was so excited ^^
Not feeling guilty when I eat.

I like that it's a good excuse for refusing gross omni food, not to mention omni dishes your mom makes that you just never liked. Such as my mom's orange chicken. :p

Reactions: thefadedone