The Amazon Ogre

I was pointing out some very real inaccuracies in that article.
You should tell the author of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So, seeing as Amazon's main headquarters are in Seattle, I did a bit a checking on something....

Cost of Living in Seattle, WA is 48% higher than the National Average.

I would imagine this had something to do with the "math" in said article.

For instance....

Cost of Living Comparison:
Cincinnati, Ohio - Seattle, Washington
A salary of $90,000 in Cincinnati, Ohio should increase to $184,924 in Seattle, Washington

Cost of Living Indexes
Cincinnati: ----------------- Seattle:
Overall: 85.9 ----------------- 176.5
Food: 100.6 ----------------- 110.2
Housing: 60.5 ----------------- 314.5
Utilities: 91.3 ---------------------- 94
Transportation: 100.5 ----------- 113.3
Health: 101.6 --------------------- 116.2
Miscellaneous: 94.8 --------------- 113.1

100=national average

COMPARISON HIGHLIGHTS
Seattle is 105% more expensive than Cincinnati.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 419% more expensive in Seattle. <---- :eek:

(from Cost of Living Comparison: compare Cincinnati, Ohio to Seattle, Washington)

Last edited:
"That has been a great deal for the company, but what about the people of Ohio? A new study by Policy Matters Ohio found that more than 700 Amazon employees receive food stamps, or more than 10 percent of the tech giant’s 6,000-strong workforce in the state. That’s because the jobs provided by Amazon in exchange for these tax breaks barely pay above the $26,208 poverty line. "

That's not near correct, and I'm stating it here because it's an article linked here.
And quite frankly, you are the one defending your shopping preferences- you started this thread o_O

"That has been a great deal for the company, but what about the people of Ohio? A new study by Policy Matters Ohio found that more than 700 Amazon employees receive food stamps, or more than 10 percent of the tech giant’s 6,000-strong workforce in the state. That’s because the jobs provided by Amazon in exchange for these tax breaks barely pay above the $26,208 poverty line. "

That's not near correct, and I'm stating it here because it's an article linked here.
And quite frankly, you are the one defending your shopping preferences- you started this thread o_O
I did not express any personal bias in that particular post. I posted a link... period.

Your response, however, began with:
Oh wahhhhhh...
And ended on this note:
Is it just because of their size and tax breaks that they get all your grief?

My goodness, I couldn't even imagine having that much power & influence over a multi-billion dollar corporation! I doubt they're even aware of all the "grief" I'm giving them.... LOL :rolleyes:

I know there are many Amazon-lovers here... I've never given anyone crap for it. I'd expect to be extended the same courtesy. :|

There are many threads here that I avoid simply because I know they'd get my ire up. If someone doesn't care for this one, I suggest they do the same.

Last edited:
Wow, some of you really hate Amazon. Well, what about small businesses that sell on Amazon? My family has an online business and the only reason that our company survived the pandemic (and all of our employees got to keep their jobs) is because of Amazon. Obviously, Amazon is far from perfect, but it is also a major source of income for many small businesses.

I love Amazon even if they are an ogre. I can’t be a perfect consumer always boycotting something. I can only make as many ethical and environmentally friendly choices as I possibly can. I’m comfortable with where I’m at even though there is always room for improvement. Doing the very best I can with making conscious efforts to help the planet.

I'll make the effort to buy things other than from Amzon. but they do make my life easier. and they usually are a good place to start.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC